GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,700
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, bradauasd4780
» Online Users: 806
0 members and 806 guests
No Members online

Old 03-08-2005, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

During formal recruitment, sorority members are not allowed to talk to PNMs.

But that doesn't apply to you now.

It never hurt to have someone on the inside who is pulling for you. I came from a school with a large rush and no photos, and a lot of girls flew "under the radar" and got overlooked - they weren't invited back to parties not because there was anything wrong with them, but because not enough people remembered meeting them or could think of a positive reason to invite them back. This rarely happened to PNMs who someone knew.

We're not supposed to discuss how sororities make a decision on who to keep and who to invite back, but speaking from my own experience, there was very little nastiness and cattiness that non Greeks might fantasize about.

I'm not telling any secrets to say that there is a focus on what a PNM can potentially contribute to an organization "oh, she's in my major, and she's a real leader" or "she was really active in different organizations at my high school - she's not joining just for the parties". If you have someone who has gotten to know you from your dorm or classes, they can speak up for you, and remind the other girls of who you are and why you might be an asset. This may go some way in offsetting the handicap of your class rank.

And by the way, 4.0 (especially while participating in a major time commitment activity) doesn't suck
Old 03-08-2005, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

brava!!

well said, liontamer
Old 03-08-2005, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RedFox
hello hello!

wow, I can't believe i'm gettin to this post so late...school's been stressing me out lately so I haven't been on here in a while! If you need anything though, let me know, since I go to UTK...and actually know tons of the 'marching band'ers'. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask! I PMed you, so check your box!

<3, Pam
Old 03-11-2005, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80
I rushed at an SEC school as a sophomore and got my first choice! Granted, UK isn't Ole Miss or anything like that, but I can name 3, maybe 4, sororities off the top of my head that you pretty much will not get into if you are a sophomore, so yeah, I'd say it is competitive to an extent.
Amen to that! It's great to see other UK girls on here. I went through rush as a sophomore as well, and got cut BIG time initially because of it. Luckily, I had a lot of great girls pulling for me over at the Tri-Delt house, which is where I wanted to end up all along.. and I did! Things really can work out for the best, and I didn't have the 4.0 going for me!
Old 03-11-2005, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UKTriDelt
It's great to see other UK girls on here.
Amen to UK girls too!

GO CATS!

Last edited by TSteven; 03-11-2005 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to hottytoddy Send a message via AIM to hottytoddy Send a message via Yahoo to hottytoddy
I think you'll be fine at UT..so long as you don't have your heart set on one sorority in particular. I'm sure there are several groups at UT that would be willing to give you a chance. Just get to know as many girls as possible. Since you have great grades and you are involved, I think you would be an asset to any organization. Sure, being a sophomore definitely makes it a little more difficult...but the hurdle isn't too high considering your grades and involvement.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I was on color guard and joined Tau Beta Sigma. You don't have to play an instrument.