GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,643
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, zaashleypitoz20
» Online Users: 939
1 members and 938 guests
FSUZeta

Old 11-28-2006, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, you still have some of that. I think guys like Tony Stewart and Gordon can still drive anything, although Gordon really hasn't shown much in the past few years as far as racing brilliance, but then he hasn't had to. The big question I've had for a while is whether Robbie Gordon would succeed on a good team. He may know more about cars than anyone else in Cup, and he is supposedly a jack of all trades when it comes to racing. However, it seems like he would outperform his equipment if he was really that talented.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-29-2006, 07:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoy View Post
I am a NASCAR nut. I've been watching NASCAR since I was 6 yrs old, back when they only showed highlights of the races.
Word. My whole family is into NASCAR (my mom's all-time favorite driver is Cale Yarborough, if that tells you how long she's been into it). Before most races were on TV, my dad would make us take Sunday drives so he could listen to the race on MRN.

I have to agree w/ Thrillhouse-I'm a "Yankee", but I would rather watch 100 races at Bristol or Talledega than one at Chicagoland or Phoenix. Martinsville and Bristol are my favorite tracks-we try to hit at least one race at each a year.

I'm really interested in how Elliott Sadler is going to do this year. Everyone is saying that he just needed the right team to be a contender, so hopefully Evernham will do that for him. I think he's a really great guy, so I hope it works out, but I'm not really all that sure. Plus Ray seems to have put all of his eggs in one basket w/ Kahne, so I wonder if there's extra energy to spare for Elliott.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I had an inkling that it wasn't in Talladega. We get lost just about every time we go, which results in me drinking at 8am while we wander around rural Alabama.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock View Post
I think NASCAR is doing everything it can to eliminate the success of Jr, and any of the old school racers for that matter. NASCAR is doing its best to pull away from its southern base, which completely sucks, given that the best tracks are in the south (Atlanta, Talladega, Charlotte, Daytona, Bristol). I still think Jr. will probably win a couple championships before he's done, but I also think that if he had a Hendrix engine shop, he'd already have one. In my opinion, the best drivers, based on ability, not team, are...
1) Stewart (hands down)
2) Gordon/Junior (Gordon is a smarter driver, but Junior does things that Jeff couldn't dream of doing in a racecar)
3) Hamlin (face it kids, he's good)
4) Kenseth (annoying, but smart)
5) Biffle (most boring driver ever)
6) Harvick

The following would be pretty terrible without a good team backing them:

1) Johnson (whiny bitch, WILL NOT win with less than a great car)
2)Kahne (hopefully he'll get better, but he's timid, and its getting a little pathetic)
3) Kyle Busch (will probably kill someone, I have no idea how such an inept driver made it to Cup racing)
Holy Cow!!! I just agreed 110% with shinerbock! What is the world coming to

Losing both races at the Rock was pitiful - I'm just glad that Charlotte got the museum!!
Old 12-01-2006, 04:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, you still have some of that. I think guys like Tony Stewart and Gordon can still drive anything, although Gordon really hasn't shown much in the past few years as far as racing brilliance, but then he hasn't had to. The big question I've had for a while is whether Robbie Gordon would succeed on a good team. He may know more about cars than anyone else in Cup, and he is supposedly a jack of all trades when it comes to racing. However, it seems like he would outperform his equipment if he was really that talented.
Robbie Gordon sucks.

Last edited by PrettyBoy; 07-09-2007 at 04:23 AM.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki_DZ View Post
Word. My whole family is into NASCAR (my mom's all-time favorite driver is Cale Yarborough, if that tells you how long she's been into it). Before most races were on TV, my dad would make us take Sunday drives so he could listen to the race on MRN.

I have to agree w/ Thrillhouse-I'm a "Yankee", but I would rather watch 100 races at Bristol or Talledega than one at Chicagoland or Phoenix. Martinsville and Bristol are my favorite tracks-we try to hit at least one race at each a year.

I'm really interested in how Elliott Sadler is going to do this year. Everyone is saying that he just needed the right team to be a contender, so hopefully Evernham will do that for him. I think he's a really great guy, so I hope it works out, but I'm not really all that sure. Plus Ray seems to have put all of his eggs in one basket w/ Kahne, so I wonder if there's extra energy to spare for Elliott.
Sadler seems like a good guy, but he sucks as a driver. He'll be fired after his contract ends.

Last edited by PrettyBoy; 07-09-2007 at 04:23 AM.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey NASCAR fans!

I decided to bump this thread for the start of the 2007 season. I just got done setting up a Yahoo fantasy auto racing team and made my initial picks for the Auto Club 500.

But, check this, I'm not a NASCAR fan. I don't know much about how it all works and, when asked, I say, "I'm rooting for the Army car" (which, yeah, that answer worked out really well for me on Sunday!). The only reason I pay any attention at all is because my roommates all do the NASCAR fantasy team thing and last year I had to put up with my roomies' agonizing over their picks and/or their drivers' performance.

So, I decided to see what would happen if a totally uninformed person (me) started jabbing at the list of drivers. LOL, I'll probably have to learn *real* fast! Wish me luck!

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 02-21-2007, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Sadler is a good driver not getting enough attention from his team. I don't think he's top 5, but he's probably one of the best 15 pure drivers in Cup racing.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I've got Sadler on my team and he's on deck for Sunday. I feel pretty good about my picks except for a choice between Saulter and Ragan.

I hear Ragan likes to wreck things; but, when he's on, he's on. Also, he's a part of Roush Racing which is meant to be a good team, right? Plus, he's driving a Ford and I hear that's the popular winner at Fontana.

Hrm...but I had a gut instinct about Saulter. I shortlisted him to run, I found out that a few pro picks and I agreed on that. I think I'm going to run Saulter and wait to see how Ragan handles the first few races.

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 02-21-2007, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I would take Ragan, but thats a tough call. California is a tough track to judge, the west coast tracks favor having a good car more than being a good driver. Slow, insignificant draft (low banking), more separation, less passing, etc...that kind of stuff usually favors whoever's crew puts together the best set up.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I am a HUGE nascar fan but will miss the Brickyard because I will be at Convention . I do a Fantasy Racing League.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

The only teams I like are Rick Hendrick's. The only team that I think is close to his as far as really good drivers is Jack Roush's drivers. Dale Jr. is way over rated. O.K. but over rated. RCR's last good driver was Big E. Harvick is average, and Burton is RCRs best driver right now. I pick Kenseth to win at California next week.

When I look at Gordon's stats, he's probably the last driver that will have stats like that for a very long time. In fact, I don't think any driver will. I've been a fan of his since his rookie year and I've never seen a driver better than him with the exception of Richard Petty.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoy View Post
The only teams I like are Rick Hendrick's. The only team that I think is close to his as far as really good drivers is Jack Roush's drivers. Dale Jr. is way over rated. O.K. but over rated. RCR's last good driver was Big E. Harvick is average, and Burton is RCRs best driver right now. I pick Kenseth to win at California next week.

When I look at Gordon's stats, he's probably the last driver that will have stats like that for a very long time. In fact, I don't think any driver will. I've been a fan of his since his rookie year and I've never seen a driver better than him with the exception of Richard Petty.
Dale Jr., Tony, and Gordon are probably the best drivers on the circuit. If you put Jimmy Johnson on a bad team he'd struggle. Gordon is also pretty conservative these days. If you could get Stewart, Junior, and Harvick on one team, that would easily be the most talented driver pool in NASCAR. The biggest advantage Hendricks has is the engine shop.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Dale Jr., Tony, and Gordon are probably the best drivers on the circuit. If you put Jimmy Johnson on a bad team he'd struggle. Gordon is also pretty conservative these days. If you could get Stewart, Junior, and Harvick on one team, that would easily be the most talented driver pool in NASCAR. The biggest advantage Hendricks has is the engine shop.
I think Johnson would struggle with any other crew chief, even with his Hendrick team. He and Chad Knaus are perfect together. Tony Stewart by far is the best driver right now in NASCAR. Jeff has slowed down a bit. He's got 4 championships so he doesn't need another one. I don't like Harvick. He's a dick. Plus he's not that good of a driver to me. Junior is way over rated with 7 seasons in, and only 17 wins and 0 championships. Part of that is because of his step mom runnin' the show. By the time Gordon was 7 seasons in, he had won 42 races a Daytona 500 and 3 championships, and he wasn't even 30 yet. It just doesn't get any better than that. I think Tony is the only driver that can beat Gordon. Big E couldn't even beat Gordon. Before Jeff came into NASCAR's top level the only driver who could beat Big E was Big E. After 94' Big E was done. It was all Gordon from there on.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Well I don't think its fair to compare Junior to Gordon. I think Junior is as talented of a driver as Gordon, but Gordon makes better decisions and has the benefit of a better team. Its like comparing Junior to his dad or Petty. 17 wins is a pretty good amount, and I highly suspect he'll win a championship at some point in the not too distant future.