GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,665
Threads: 115,521
Welcome to our newest member, aanneaeswifta59
» Online Users: 1,367
2 members and 1,365 guests
MethrenLusia, Zach

Old 04-08-2003, 10:41 AM
Ginger

My boyfriend and I are looking at getting engaged soon, and the way we've done it, is we've gone looking at both engagement and wedding bands together. I've shown him what I like and what I don't, and I think he's becoming comfortable enough in picking out my "style" that when the time comes, he'll be able to go alone.

I wouldn't trust any of my girlfriends to go with him. Though they may have the best of intentions, I have a feeling they would goad him into a bigger stone at the sacrifice of the style I like. (I like smaller, more delicate jewelry myself)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-08-2003, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adduncan
Problem: it was pee-in-the-snow yellow and you could see the flaws across the room.
Every time I see a "yellow" diamond, it reminds me of the part in "Beautiful Girls" when Michael Rappaport buys the champagne diamond.

"What difference does it make? Diamonds are supposed to be colorless. You go out and buy a colored diamond for a girl you're not even seeing, man, you've been eating retard sandwiches again."

Sorry, one of my favorite lines from one of my favorite movies

Anyways...As a female, I have to say-To hell with the girls that need a 2-carat. I have a few friends like that, holding a contest to see who gets the bigger ring. It's sad and shows their real colors. The Mr. and I are planning on getting engaged soon. We've looked at rings, and he knows what I like. As long as he keeps the basic style in mind (I like simple), I could give two shits what the size is. It's the THOUGHT and the love behind it that matters, not the bling bling.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Let's say that hypothetically I have been engaged, LOL. I got a really awesome, approx. 1.5 carat, D color, almost flawless diamond set in platinum. I looked at it all the time and thought it was really beautiful. It was exactly what I wanted and I was involved in the process of picking it out.

Now, however, I realize that a ring doesn't matter. If I get engaged again, I don't even want an engagement ring. I'd just want to design unique, cool, symbolic wedding rings. When I think about it, I don't even like the symbolism of engagement rings and I just don't think that the idea of a man buying me an engagement ring has any relevance to my life.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xok85xo
its not really about the size..you can have a 2 carat piece of sh*t..
That is so true... my fiance said he could have gotten me a diamond that was over 1 carat and it was actually priced at less than the one he ended up getting for me (the slightly more than 1/2 carat). The difference was the clarity. He said the bigger one had too many flaws. So yeah I'd rather have a smaller one that looks really nice. But what means the most to me as far as the ring goes is that he put a lot of THOUGHT into the purchase, and into surprising me... plus he asked my parents before he asked me, which was a MAJOR plus! That's why I love my ring
Old 04-08-2003, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ztabchbum Send a message via Yahoo to ztabchbum
There are 3 things my boyfriend has memorized about what I want in my engagement ring (we're looking to get engaged fairly soon).
1. The cut - princess
2. The band - white gold (although I would LOVE platinum, who wouldn't?)
3. The size - 8 (I have chubby fingers, my mom told me it's from cracking my knuckles all the time ?)
I don't even care what size it is, as long as the color, cut, and clarity are good and that he took the time to pick it out.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Just kicking in another vote to say that I would never wear a 2-carat diamond ring.

I'm not saying that I don't have standards for my future engagement ring, though . . . just that it being huge is definitely not one of them. I hardly ever wear jewelry, and I never wear flashy jewelry, so a big diamond ring would look out of place.

I'd make sure my significant other knew what I wanted in an engagement ring, too, so that it wouldn't be an issue that he would try to get me something I didn't want.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:34 PM
Ginger

Wow, thank you for that excellent and informative post, Hootie!!

I do have to say, though... that as a woman, there's nothing more annoying than hearing a stuck up woman demand something from a man!
Old 04-08-2003, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hootie
As a jewelry salesperson there is nothing more annoying than hearing a stuck up woman DEMAND something from a man.
And THAT is probably why one of them has been with her boyfriend for like 6 years...no proposal yet!!!
Old 04-08-2003, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it's downright tacky to tell someone what size diamond you HAVE to have in order to get married. Spoiled much?

Quite honestly, I couldn't care less what size of diamond I get. It's not a contest in my group of friends to see who's got the bigger rock, and I'm glad that we're all "down to earth" in that sense. My bf knows that I'll be thrilled with whatever he selects, and if he does ask for my opinion, I'll remind him that I have small hands and that a big diamond just wouldn't look right. I'd much prefer something small and simple with a nice cut over some gaudy rock that doesn't suit my hand.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

i guess i will be going against the tides here, but honestly, i do want a 1 ct diamond, with all of the c's looking really good! no questions, no compromise. ok, so i am bitchy, but there are very few things that i want. i don't want a big wedding...i want to elope. i am not materialistic, but this is something that i have really had my heart set on! my last bf and i were talking engagement and had gone ring shopping (and no, we didn't break up bc of the ring i wanted....if you really want the long story, you can pm me). he knew what i wanted well before we hit the jewelry store.

i would never send a man to the store to buy my ring alone! i would like to go shopping and show him things i like and dislike and then let him choose from there. this way, it is still a surprise, but i won't be smiling and saying that i love it, when i really don't!
Old 04-08-2003, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
One of my friends was given a diamond the size of a dime. No joke, it was huge. She didn't ask for it or demand it. She just happened to fall in love with a very successful and generous man. It couldn't have happened to a nicer woman, except for me of course.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Women picking the ring...

I know it's really common for women to pick out their own engagement rings, but I'm one of the few left that wouldn't have wanted it that way. I like surprises, and having no clue that my guy was going to propose made it that much more special and memorable for me. It's something I'll remember for the rest of my life... but if I had known about it ahead of time I just can't see that it would have been all that memorable. Plus I think it means more when the guy takes the time to pick out the ring. Of course I guess that doesn't work for women who just HAVE to have a specific type of diamond...

And seriously, a 1/2 carat gets in my way at work enough as it is because I work with my hands a lot. If I had anything bigger, I'd never be able to wear it, cuz I'm like ALWAYS at work.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sigmagrrl
Is it now customary to go ring shopping together??
My husband and I did go ring shopping together... he proposed without a ring, then we went shopping.

An engagement ring is a ring you're going to wear for a long time, a symbol of your love, and it should be a decision that you share.

Of course, it did mean that for 6 weeks I couldn't walk into a chapter meeting without getting asked "Do you have the ring? Do you have the ring?"
Old 04-08-2003, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum
My husband and I did go ring shopping together... he proposed without a ring, then we went shopping.

This is how I'd want it done. I'd want the surprise of not knowing he was going to propose, but I'd also want to be involved in the process of picking out my own ring.

I think this way also puts a lot less stress on the guy, because most guys know that they don't know much about jewelry!
Old 04-08-2003, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

as the product of an all-girls, private school education (for high school i mean) i was TAUGHT by one of my teachers not to accept less than a carat. in my honest opinion it means alot to me that a man is willing to spend alot on a token of our eternal love, that shows me that he is in it for the long run...

BUT really all i ask for is a classic tiffany engagement ring (which by the way start at only 1,000 dollars) set in platinum. i dont expect the hope diamond just something that is worth the money and will look priceless as well as timeless

aaaaaaaaaaa...i am still "patiently" awaiting that special moment