GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,700
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, bradauasd4780
» Online Users: 612
3 members and 609 guests
flamboyanttree, naraht

Old 04-06-2004, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

This is beginning to be a problem on my campus of initiation...one of my locals had shirts made that said "Do you ever wonder if you joined the right sorority? We don't!" and independents and Greeks alike thought they were nasty. My chapter thought about fighting back with a shirt that said something like "Get hazed? We didn't" or "It's okay, we used to wish we'd been Gamma Phis too" but ultimately decided against it because we wanted to be "above" that.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-06-2004, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

One of our fraternities last year, their bid day shirt was something like "Not everyone can be an ABC's, someone has to sit on the curb and clap as we walk by", that fits the chapters personality to a T though.

One year our Turtle Buddy shirts said the whole "Wonder if you joined the right sorority, WE don't!", and then the next year we had "Some women join a sororities to find their husbands, We joined to find out bridesmaids"

I like the "controversial" shirts, as long as they aren't "nasty" and call out any chapters, i think they are great. That just my $.02.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Bid day shirts are about showing pride for the sorority & the women they picked as well as for the pledges & the sorority they picked! The year I pledged our shirts said "I'm a Sigma Kappa" on the front & "And you're not!" on the back. And I don't see anything wrong with that.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
I actually think its more fun to see all the new t-shirts, even if they are a little obnoxious. T-shirts are to show pride and how much fun you have, there more for you than anyone else.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
My personal favorite is "Conceited Slogans mean nothing unless you have the women to back them up!"
Old 04-06-2004, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FirstAndFinest
"If you didn't get drafted, you got shafted!" (on a camoflage-print Tee, with X*Y*Z like M*A*S*H)
Old 04-06-2004, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Sometimes a T-shirt is just a T-shirt.

Old 04-07-2004, 12:15 AM

I'm not a huge fan of the snarky t-shirts, but I did like the one that said "If we were you, we'd hate us too."
Old 04-07-2004, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, these slogans are snarky (LOVE that word!), in your face, insensitive, and borderline rude but we REMEMBER them and that's a lot of the point, isn't it?
Old 04-08-2004, 04:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thetalady
Yes, these slogans are snarky (LOVE that word!), in your face, insensitive, and borderline rude but we REMEMBER them and that's a lot of the point, isn't it?
Yeah, we're still talking about a homecoming shirt that had the following:
"[Sorority Letters]: The Sorority That Reads", in reference to their high GPA.

We were not impressed.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mommag2 Send a message via Yahoo to mommag2
My sorority doesn't do bid day shirts, we do a rush shirt that the actives wear, but the PNMs don't get. This year our shirt said this :

TO JOIN IS TO BE CHALLENGED
TO BE CHALLENGED IS TO BE DRIVEN
TO BE DRIVEN IS TO BELONG.

On the top of the saying is tiger eyes staring at you and on the front is our letters GAO and our name spelled out with our founding year 1993.

Some sororities on campus didn't like, but hey we sure did.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Bradshaw826
slogans

Some slogans are a bit rude, one group on our campus had "rate us, hate us, fact is, you ain't us" which I personally didn't like. My sorority generally stays away from slogans like this because we don't think that it makes us look good to PNMs and, frankly, we wouldn't be too interested in the girls attrated by a slogan like that.

I don't see anything wrong with putting sorority achievements on rush shirts. My sorority, and other sororities on my campus, have always put something on their shirts the following semester if they won sorority of the year.

While I do think that every group has the right to put whatever they want on their shirts, we do have to watch out. We don't want to promote greek stereotypes by having shirts that are snotty or with too many references to sex or alcohol, because a lot of people tend to think that most greeks are like that and ignore the scholarship, community service, etc. You never know what people are going to take offense to, I heard there was a fraternity being sued for having a rush shirt slogan that some people found to be homophobic.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:17 AM

I'm not offended by these shirts. I think they are really cute. They are all in the spirit of pride. Not many sororities on our campus have them. I think ours are screened by Panhell for "snarkiness" I do recall DZ's bid day shirt from this past fall rush: "Who says you can't always get what you want.?" I liked it. I think we shoud be allowed to have what we want on our shirts. I'm sorry girls get cut, but really, they're JUST shirts

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Baltimore, MD - Missing Sitting on the Green Monster with Johnny Damon and Teddy Bruschi
Send a message via AIM to PlymouthDZ
My favorite..from my bid day said "To be or Not to be.. it was never a question" going around a turtle.. this spring, a close 2nd favorite.. we did a Tiffany theme.. the front said "Please Return to Delta Zeta &Co. Plymouth State University, est. 1902" on the back it said "Come See Our New Spring Collection! Spring 2004 Bids Day"

I do agree that there is a fine line between pride and being rude. Even though I do enjoy seeing the new shirts that girls have every bid day..
Old 04-20-2004, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Last year, for Spring Rush, one of the sororities made shirts for their NM's that said "It's not for everyone but that's the beauty of it." I know it's not as bad as some of the other things that people have posted on here, but this sorority has a reputation for being snobby and when we all saw the shirts, we were trying hard not to laugh.