GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Community Service / Philanthropy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,654
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Artisancne
» Online Users: 1,878
2 members and 1,876 guests
g41965

Old 06-12-2000, 09:42 PM
sadeluv

African-Americans love themselves!!! I resent the statement from "12dn94dst." Who are you to say that the entire Black race does not love it/themselves! Do you know all of the Black people personally? No, you don't. It is not wise to make unintelligent statements like that. Everybody I know love themselves, and they are Black.

State the facts. If you don't know what you're talking about, save us that perception of yourself, which will be a bad perception of you if you keep making statements like that.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-12-2000, 11:52 PM

i'm a member of a BGLO and we are looking for ome more and some new things to do this year and I was just wondering, like prettygirl what everyone was doing out there.

I recently talked to someone who said that Walmart has a program were they will match the money you make from funraising on their propety as long as it goes to a charity and if that proves true, my chapter is looking into a car wash their and we will use the profit to help out a unwed mothers home.
Old 06-13-2000, 06:25 AM
GreekChat Member

A great program is Junior Achievement. We did that last year and had a great time. Every member spend one hour a week tutoring kids about society and stuff. I think their website is www.ja.org. Not sure though. I'll come to you with the real webpage.

Oh yeah DEVILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lord Stanely back where it belong, the Tri-State area, and not in Texas!!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2000, 07:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

Would service projects perhaps make a good new general forum topic? (Since this is a key area for most GLOs, that might give us a good place to share and exchange ideas, etc.)
Old 06-13-2000, 07:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
Bfulton- I think that's a good idea

ZetaAce
Old 06-13-2000, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
Thumbs up

Great IDEA!!!!!
One of my favorite projects was a salute to service that the DC grad chapterof Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., Beta Zeta chapter performed. There was a HUGE story in the Washington Post on it in February. In honor of the chapter turning 75 years old, the donated 75 books to EVERY elementary public school in Washington DC....over 11,000 books! I am a big advocate of the reading is fundamental mantra. So this project really warmed my heart.

Quote:
Originally posted by BFulton:
Would service projects perhaps make a good new general forum topic? (Since this is a key area for most GLOs, that might give us a good place to share and exchange ideas, etc.)

------------------
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated...Every Finer Woman's Dream!
Old 06-13-2000, 03:07 PM
Huh??

Lightbulb

Sadeluv--

Where have you been? You're either blind or in denial! I think instead of playing dumb and treating the problem as if it doesn't exist, we should address it and fix it. This may not be the perfect forum to address our issues, but I definitely do not agree with faking and fronting. Yes, we are a beautiful, powerful people, but MANY of us are NOT aware of it. Instead of singling yourself and your friends out, we need to be coming together to show that we are well aware of the problem and that we intend to fix it. Your denial and denunciation is an even bigger problem that needs to be addressed!
Old 06-13-2000, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Huh??...I was thinking to same thing !!!
Old 06-13-2000, 08:03 PM
sadeluv

Huh? & HerStory,
I am not blind, deaf, or dumb. I look at things realistically. I understand that we all have problems, and we as a people should work at alleviating those problems. Yes there are insecure African-Americans, but not the point to where we say African-Americans as an entire race. That's like a pimp saying all Black women are whores!!! Of course they are not. Just because there are some rather loose Black women doesn't mean that all Black women are whores. That is inaccurate statement. I would be FAKING & FRONTING if I generalized an entire race like that!! Why are we so quick to magnify and scrutinize the negatives?! I'm am not in denial! I am as real as anyone can get! This is probably the realest conversation you've had in your life. Why, because I'm real!! Real people tend to rub insecure people the wrong way!!Your attitude of looking at things in a cynical and negative way is a problem!!!
Old 06-14-2000, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

IRONIC........I HAVE NEVER SAID THAT I HAVE NO INTEREST IN WHITE PEOPLE! NOR HAVE I EVER SAID I DID NOT CARE ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON IN THEIR ORG! I RESPECT YOUR OPINION YOU CAN SAY WHAT YOU WANT BUT TRY TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT AND TRY AND POST IT IN THE RIGHT FORUM! I HAVE SAID TO OTHER PEOPLE BEFORE YOU AND I WILL SAY IT TO YOU I DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU THINK, WHAT YOU SAY DOES NOT MAKE ME OR BREAK ME!!!!! BUT DO NOT PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH OR THINK YOU KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON IN MY MIND! I DO NOT CLAIM TO KNOW WHATS GOING ON IN YOURS NOR DO I GIVE A DAMN! AIIGHT!...........THANKS EVERYONE WHO HAS POSTED IN REGARDS TO THIS PARTICULAR FORUM I THINK ALL OF YOU ARE DOING GREAT THINGS AND I HOPE YOU KEEP IT UP! I LOVE THE LOVE!
Old 06-26-2000, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

sadeluv...........yes little one you are in denial. keeping it real does not mean turning a deaf ear nor a blind eye to the situation. just because i am an african american woman does not mean that i condone everything that other african americans do. if they do wrong......it's wrong. and on the same token if they do right then ......it's right. i don't believe in making excuses for others people. granted we
as a race have some issues but we also have made great achievements and i never said that we haven't. and how do you get that i am insecure by agreeing with someone else? it seems that you are the insecure one....in order for you to feel better about you self you have to try to put me down. but it's cool....i expect that from the unrealistic. fyi - "i was down for the cause while you were still in training bras"
Old 07-05-2000, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Truly sad, and that is not aimed at any one individual. The only "flaming" message area in the philanthropy section turns out to be half about race. Those are the most popular topics on this greekchat network. I've only been chatting here for a few days, so I hope this is just a temporary thing. Of course I am not saying (and almost no one is saying) race is unimportant, but this is the philanthropy chatroom, the "being-kind-to-humanity" chatroom, and the best we can do is bicker with each other. (and don't say you're not bickering, because you are).

I too would like to know about the good things being done out there by greeks (not greek nationals, you know). I've said on other places about my trying to refute this Korean book in which a very negative image of sororities and fraternities is presented. So let me hear some more good things, guys.
Old 07-05-2000, 08:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Being that I'm not active any longer and don't know what my sorority is doing atm, here are some of the annual things that I know that my chapter does. Halloween Party for the boys and girls club (we host with a fraternity-Tau Kappa Epsilon). Christmas dinner/cookies/toys for a unfortunate family in the area. Adopt-a-highway, St. Patty's day cookies at a local day care (which we also teach sign language and play games with the children). Those are annual things (meaning we do them every year.)

------------------
Mikki
Delta Zeta Alum
Kappa Mu Chapter
Sigma Alpha Iota Alum
Eta Tau Chapter

"Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage."

--Lao Tzu
Old 07-05-2000, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Every year we have "Run for Kids Sake" which is a 24 hour relay to raise money for Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Vigo County. We run all over town with a van behind us, and usually log about 175 miles in the 24 hour period. I'm not sure how much money we raised, but it was quite a bit.

We also participate in our National Philanthropy, our National Food Drive. We try to set a higher goal each year, and I know for the past few years, we've reached it. Other chapters put us to shame though. I know several of them get over 50 thousand pounds of food! We usually get about 1500-2000 pounds.

At Christmas, we have a party for underprivelaged kids from a local youth hall, give them gifts, play games with them, have snacks. It's a good time.

Weekly, brothers volunteer for Meals on Wheels, and I believe we've been doing this for ten years or more.

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Zeta Chapter
Ros-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Old 07-09-2000, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Back to the issue at hand..

One of the things that I like to encourage my chapter and those around us to do is commit to one big project a year rather than 50 small things for two reasons, 1) It adds to the image of the orgainization and chapter, and 2) it keeps you focused for the year. The project that I'm going to advocate for this year is suppling the local Samaritin Center with all of the health kits that it will need for a whole year. They only cost about $4 at a dollar store to make (you know toothbrushes, Washcloths, soap, combs, shampoo ect. anything that you would need if you were displaced from your home for a while), and if one chapter could do that, then it would make a huge difference in this community.

As Greeks, those letters we wear give us a huge advantage when it comes to fundraising and service. Rather than spreading it so thinly to the point where no one notices we should make big impacts in a few areas.

------------------
If you can't raise conciousness, at least raise hell!--Rita Mae Brown