GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,664
Threads: 115,520
Welcome to our newest member, aisabelamaarley
» Online Users: 1,452
1 members and 1,451 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 07-08-2004, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by seraphimsprite
Hahaha. . . this thread just reminded me of when I was a sophomore we had a girl come through formal rush from my high school who totally lied on her application. And we went to a pretty big high school in the area - I think there were girls from my high school in over half the sororities on campus. Anyway, she listed all sorts of activities on her application - everything from varisty soccer and basketball to editor in chief of both the newspaper and yearbook. Oh and I think she said she was student body president too. Except she didn't do anything in high school other than like one year of choir or soemthing. Word got around campus pretty fast and she got dropped from all houses.
Geez. It can be really tempting to "pump" your resume too. Guys, if you washed dishes at a homeless shelter over the summer, DO NOT put down that you " spearheaded a national campaign to fight homelessness"

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-08-2004 at 02:44 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-08-2004, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JocelynC
Geez. It can be really tempting to "pump" your resume too. Guys, if you washed dishes at a homeless shelter over the summer, DO NOT put down that you " speaheaded a national campaign to fight homelessness"
LOL, one of my sisters wanted me to send a notice to the Phoenix (our national mag) that she had been "Queen of the Golden Dawn." She didn't want to mention that Golden Dawn was a grocery store whose meat dept. she worked in over the summer.

But Jocelyn's right - don't "pump" your resume.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AOTTAdvisor
... many PNM's will put down their correct GPA, if ALL of their classes counted(including ones like Art, PE, Wood shop, etc). Panhellenic only counts their CORE classes, like math, english, history, and science.
Is it made clear to the PNMs that only their core classes count? I'd think it would be clarified on the rush application, what counts and what doesn't, so there is no confusion.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Whoa. I have heard at least 10 stories this year about PNMs lying about being legacies.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by Amalia17; 10-01-2005 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't believe people would lie in order to get into a sorority.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

We had this happen a few years ago at my school. I wasn't around but I've heard the story from my sisters who knew this girl. A girl went through rush with her hopes on only one house. Her stepmother was a member of aforementioned house, so she told all of the girls that she was a legacy. Even though some girls in that house didn't like her, they ended up having to give her a bid because she was a legacy. After she accepted her bid, and they were filling out paperwork for their nationals, they found out that she wasn't a legacy and weren't too happy about her. Moral of this story: check from your national HQ's or the girl's families if you have girls coming through rush claiming to be legacies.
Old 09-19-2004, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KLPDaisy
We had this happen a few years ago at my school. I wasn't around but I've heard the story from my sisters who knew this girl. A girl went through rush with her hopes on only one house. Her stepmother was a member of aforementioned house, so she told all of the girls that she was a legacy. Even though some girls in that house didn't like her, they ended up having to give her a bid because she was a legacy. After she accepted her bid, and they were filling out paperwork for their nationals, they found out that she wasn't a legacy and weren't too happy about her. Moral of this story: check from your national HQ's or the girl's families if you have girls coming through rush claiming to be legacies.
I thought step families were considered legacies????
Old 09-19-2004, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Steps for Alpha Xi Delta

Step children are legacies for Alpha Xi Delta but all glo have their own policies.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:36 PM

Re: Legacy

Quote:
Originally posted by Amalia17
I just wanted to let you know that there is also two sides to the legacy story. Last year I rushed and mentioned that my aunt was a member of a sorority that was my first choice. I never said I was a legacy until they called me one. I asked a few times to a few different girls if I was considered a legacy and they all said yes, even though I thought I was just considered a "courtesy legacy" which was a term I heard of from aunts, cousins, step family members, etc. On bid day, I was bid less, and my rho chi said they determined at last minute I was not a true legacy, and that the sisters were mad. Well, I wasn't the one who started it, they were. I never lied, in fact I was so truthful about it. I could have easily lied and said she was my mum or something, but I was truthful and they were still mad. It was miscommunication, but a year later the sorority still gives me dirty looks.
I'm really confused - who are "they"? The sorority? Panhel? Any rush applications I've seen ask not just if you are a legacy, but to what group and through who (i.e. my mom was a KKG, my sister was a DZ etc). Anytime I've met someone at rush who was a legacy they usually just said "my mom was a KD" or whatever. Point being is that I don't understand why anyone would be mad if you said straight out that your Greek connection was through your aunt.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Legacy

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
I'm really confused - who are "they"? The sorority? Panhel? Any rush applications I've seen ask not just if you are a legacy, but to what group and through who (i.e. my mom was a KKG, my sister was a DZ etc). Anytime I've met someone at rush who was a legacy they usually just said "my mom was a KD" or whatever. Point being is that I don't understand why anyone would be mad if you said straight out that your Greek connection was through your aunt.
Agreed! Also, no one would tell you why you got cut... all sororities consider membership selection ritual, amalia17. Even if they did, I really doubt that that would be why they cut you. As 33girl said, schools in our area almost never have a legacy, so it would be no surprise if there was confusion over how to treat a legacy.

I think it more likely had to do with the fact that you're a post-bac. You did tell your rush saga on here, remember, and you never mentioned this detail before. Guess i'm confused as to why you come back to GC 7 months later to mention this? I don't mean to sound rude, i've had a very long, trying weekend, but in reading some of your past threads it seems like you've placed the blame for not getting a bid on everyone but yourself...
Old 09-19-2004, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

deleted

Last edited by Amalia17; 10-03-2005 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:55 PM

I don't think that any of the sororities at SRU have rules that they MUST bid a legacy. They don't have anything to "save face" from.

Sorry to be blunt, but sour grapes like criticizing the sorority in question and your school's overall Greek system are not attractive.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:09 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
I don't think that any of the sororities at SRU have rules that they MUST bid a legacy. They don't have anything to "save face" from.

Sorry to be blunt, but sour grapes like criticizing the sorority in question and your school's overall Greek system are not attractive.
It's even less attractive seven months later.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

deleted

Last edited by Amalia17; 10-03-2005 at 09:25 PM.