GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,700
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, bradauasd4780
» Online Users: 1,081
1 members and 1,080 guests
oncegreek

Old 07-02-2002, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
Smile

Well, here's my story.

All through high school I had planned to go through Rush and join a social sorority. I just couldn't wait. I had gone to "preview days" and tours at all the other colleges I was interested in except for the one I ended up going to, oddly enough. The greeks I met at the other schools during the preview days were so nice and genuine. I realized I didn't have the money to join a sorority when I found out how much it cost so I decided to wait and rush the next year, when I could afford it.

Then I went to college. I encountered many sorority girls, most of which unfortunately were very cold, snobbish, and unfriendly. There are only 5 sororities here...one is famous for constantly being drunk and sleeping with random guys; one is famous for small membership because all the members fight all the time; and the others I met around campus simply were VERY VERY unfriendly to me. I decided that joining a social sorority was just not for me.

Well, since I'm a music major, I thought I would pledge Tau Beta Sigma. Unfortunately at the time they were very cliquish and instead of inviting EVERYONE to their rush events, they only invited the ones they wanted in, and anyone else who showed up to their rush parties never got a bid.

So I was crushed. I ended up going to a school with a BAD group of social sororities, and Tau Beta Sigma ended up not being much better.

Then I discovered Sigma Alpha Iota.

SAI was very unorganized at the time and never put up signs or handed out invitations for Rush to anyone, but a friend of mine who had gone to rush encouraged me to find out if I could still pledge. I didn't know any but 2 of the girls, but I talked to the VP Membership anyways...she was so friendly, so excited that I wanted to be a part of their sisterhood. The next day I receieved a bid, and met the rest of the chapter, all of which hugged me and talked to me like I was a long lost friend. I'll never forget that.

It took me a lot of searching to find my Greek home, but now that I found SAI, I can't imagine being in ANY other GLO. I love SAI dearly. I may have not ended up in a social GLO like orginally planned, but I ended up where I was meant to be.

--Allie
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-02-2002, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
Unhappy oooooops

Hey everyone,

I didn't mean for my message to sound like I have a negative image of social Greeks. Unfortunately it came out sounding that way.

I have a lot of respect for social GLOs, for what they stand for, and for all they do. Unfortunately, my school doesn't have a very good greek system; the social sororities here unfortunately fit the stereotypes, and I think that's sad.

So, my appologies. I praise all of you in there in good Greek systems and give you a big thumbs up for representing the Greek world in such a positive light.
Old 07-02-2002, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to whiteroses
If I couldnt have been a chi omega I would have joined delta gamma. I really loved the girls and the soroity in general.
Old 07-02-2002, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess I'm doubly lucky because I'm in both a national sorority and SAI....

I wouldn't have gotten a bid to any other houses except Alpha Xi, so I probably wouldn't have gone greek at all.
Old 07-02-2002, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey, sairose, I PM'd you!
Old 07-02-2002, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NewGirl Send a message via Yahoo to NewGirl
if i hadnt joined...

I guess that if i hadnt joined Alpha CHi. i would have liked to join Phi Mu.. they were my second choice and after bid day, four of my friends got phi mu bids!! but i know that axo is the place for me.
love
ashley
Old 07-02-2002, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
Well I COBed ADPi, so if I hadnt joined ADPi there would be only one other sorority I would have looked at. My roommate my first semester went through formal rush and joined AOPi, so I probably would have tried there. In reality though, I cant picture myself there. In all honesty, for me to stay with a sorority it had to be ADPi.
Old 07-02-2002, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I suicided Alpha Gam and knowing the inside scoop about all the other sororities on campus, kinda makes me glad that I am an Alpha Gam. But, if I had to choose, then probably either Tri Delt or Chi Omega.
Old 07-03-2002, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

There were only 3 sororities to choose from on my campus way back when, and I only pref'd 2: DZ and Alpha Gam--which were and are equally strong in different ways. I can honestly say that if I had not pledged DZ at my college, I would not have been Greek. The AGD's were very nice people-don't get me wrong, but the personalities of the 2 groups on my campus couldn't have been more different (not in a bad way). The DZ's convinced me that I HAD to go Greek--their sisterhood appealed to me like nothing I'd ever experienced. I didn't have any problems w/the AGDs--just didnt' click with them. You all know what I mean. I suicided DZ, and never looked back.

Now-if I had gone to another school, with any choice at all, except for DZ, I think that I would have liked to be a Tri-Delt (grandmother was one) or a ZTA, just because I've never met a ZTA I didn't like instantly.
Old 07-03-2002, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I did kinda pledge an Asian fraternity, but it didn't work out. I guess I just didn't fit in well with them. I chose Delta Sig because when it came down to it, they were really cool guys who just in general wanted to make the best out of the college experience.
Old 07-03-2002, 01:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to theta sig agd
This is a hard one!

I think if not Alpha Gamma Delta

I really like:
ADPi
XO
KKG
or
KAtheta

But I LOVE being an Alpha Gam and couldnt see myself with any ohter group of sisters. ????
Old 07-03-2002, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Gamma is the only sorority for me, and I don't think I would have gone Greek if they were not at my campus.
Old 07-03-2002, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I wish at the time I had considered different sororities for the last few rounds, but when I got a bid from the sorority I am in I was extremely happy...now, since we're having a lot of internal issues, I would say I would have liked either ZTA or ASA....
Old 07-03-2002, 06:04 PM

I'd choose ADPi. I preffed them and was very comfortable there. The girls I've met from ADPi are very friendly.
Old 07-03-2002, 08:25 PM

At my school, I probably would have wanted to be a Chi O or KD if I hadn't pledged AOII. If I'd gone to my 2nd choice school, after AOII I would have been most interested in AZD and ADPi.

That's a hard question, especially for those of us who have been a member for almost 20 years :-)

Christin