GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,701
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, zadisonjnr5478
» Online Users: 747
1 members and 746 guests
g41965

Old 09-24-2002, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

My alma mater is pretty small, and my chapter has 46 girls currently in their pledge class. They were the only sorority on campus to make quota this year too, but that doesn't mean that they did anything wrong or that their members are snobby. It simply means that a lot of girls were impressed by them during Rush and wanted to go DZ.

The sorority you're referring to may have simply had a really phenomenal rush this year. A large pledge class means that the Greek system is doing well at your campus, and that's definitely something to be proud of -- not something to be upset about.

***25 isn't a ridiculously large size for a pledge class on any campus -- the girls that I help advise at UGA have upwards of 55 new members in their pledge classes and I know of other DZ chapters who have classes with 70 or more.***

Last edited by dzrose93; 09-24-2002 at 11:06 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-24-2002, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

That is what I am getting at, 25 wouldn't even be quota here at my school.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pledge
But, regardless of that, our school is not a big school, it has about 5,000 or less students, and to have that many girls in a pledge class is in my opinion ridiculous!!!!
At my school there are roughly 2,500 undergraduates, about 20% of which are Greek. There are 4 sororities (all NPC) and the average pledge class size for sororities during formal recruitment is 12; 25 would be huge, almost unheard of, for any sorority at my campus, even during informal recruitment.

Things vary from school to school, so a pledge class of 25 for that specific chapter could be typical of them. Don't let it bother you. You prefer a smaller group and that's what you have.

Last edited by SATX*APhi; 09-24-2002 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-24-2002, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

If the group wants to be that big ... and girls want to be in it ... and it's within Panhellenic rules ... there's no "legal" grounds for complaint. It's not up to one chapter to tell another not to be big anymore than it would be my business to tell another sorority they have ugly colors or they need to remodel their house.
Old 09-24-2002, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I can say I kinda understand where you're coming from. My soror only got 7 woman during formal recruitment this semester. Quota was 18.. (which is HUGE for my school) and the two chapters that took quota don't even have enough girls to have one on one big/lils.... so I can see what your saying about not getting to know/handle the amount of new members... I think the chapters at my school that took quota are going to have a hard time doing that... however they did nothing wrong in taking quota since that's what they are entitled to. and I don't think they necessarily did anything more "right" than you because I know my chapter did everything "right" during rush. We planned our parties very well, we greeted woman warmly and treated them with respect and showed them our best side. Unfortunately if your chapter was already smaller than the rest... a lot of women look at that when they are going through. If your chapter feels you put your hearts into rush, hold your heads high and be proud that you will get to know your pledge class and your sisterhood is going to grow stronger !!!!
Old 09-24-2002, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Sounds to me like somebody just had a very good rush.

Back in 1997 quota was 8 and ceiling was 35. We had 16 active members at that time. Everybody that was on our "A" list accepted a bid from us putting us at 24. We also had 8 girls on our "B" list...all of them, except for one, accepted a bid from us at the end of rush which put us at 31 members.

A year later in 1998 we almost had a similar situation. Of the 8 girls that we extended bids to during Formal Recuitment 7 of them suicided us.

Let's just say that the other sororities were not very happy with us and thought that we had been "dirty rushing." We did nothing wrong! All we did was work our butts off to have a kick ass Rush...and it worked!!
Old 09-24-2002, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pledge
I don't think that they are dirty rushing. At least I hope not, but I would not put it past those girls b/c they are really snobby towards other sororities on campus and towards themselves!! But, I agree with Hootie, maybe they are doing something right that my sorority could learn from. But, regardless of that, our school is not a big school, it has about 5,000 or less students, and to have that many girls in a pledge class is in my opinion ridiculous!!!!
My undergrad campus only had 2400 students.
The year I pledged quota was 36.
5 of our 6 sororities made quota that year, and the house totals for most were over 110.
I was proud to be part of such a strong greek system, and I thought having the chance to get to live and become friends with am amazingly diverse group of ladies was a real priviledge.
I guess the message is -- don't you think that you are being just a little judgemental?
Don't knock it 'til you try it.
And isn't it funny that you call them snobby, but you are the one who is ticked about "large" pledge classes, which seems to say that you would prefer your sisterhood to remain more EXCLUSIVE than INCLUSIVE? Just a thought.

Last edited by PiPhiERDoc; 09-24-2002 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-24-2002, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by suzymoonspider
My pledge class has 25 members- but I think most of the other sororities have about the same amount and at least for me no dirty rushing was allowed!
Of course it is not allowed, that is why it is "dirty rushing."
Old 09-24-2002, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ThetaGirl1997
It also may depend on how many sororities are on your campus. My school only had 4 sororities, and an average pledge class 20-25, at least.
Old 09-24-2002, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to thetakates
I dont think 25 is alot of girls....When I went through we had 26 in our pledge class and this years class is going to be even bigger than that when we get done with COB. It is not hard at all to get to know that many girls. You would really be suprised. What is your quota at your school? What is the average size sorority? Here at Ball State Quota is 80 girls and our soroity has 70 that is including the girls we just took. I think we took 25 pledges so far and hopefully we will get 10 more to make our quota!
Old 09-24-2002, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I had a pledge class of 31 and that was for formal and for informal we take 13 and my university has a small percentage of greeks. I think you can get to know those girls and you could do more events to get to know the new girls. So I see nothing wrong with that at all. By the way what is or how do you do dirty rushing? Can someone explain?
Old 09-24-2002, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Dirty rushing is doing anything that is intended to get girls to join but is against Panhel rules. It ranges from the unlikely (buying that frosh a new car) to the commonplace ("I can promise you'll get a bid," "Depledge XYZ and we'll give you a bid," "Oh, you're also considering XYZ? Well, they're all sluts").
Old 09-24-2002, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Are you saying this sorority took more pledges than they were entitled to? I don't quite get your gripe.

If they have a significantly bigger pledge class than everyone else, it could be because they started with less sisters and are trying to get up to total.

At any rate - if you like being in a smaller pledge class, why on earth do you care? Let them do their thing, and you do yours. You won't look any better by saying this other sorority can't be close and is being greedy - it just makes you look jealous.
33girl i agree completely.

25 is not a large pledge class. my school had 3000 people and all 7 sororities were over 100 people!!! some had close to 150. pledge classes were typically 30-40.

i still don't really understand why this is a problem if you like a small class. let them have their large numbers if they want. being smaller doesn't guarantee closeness. and being large doesn't mean you don't know everyone--you just know them in different ways.
Old 09-24-2002, 04:30 PM
UMgirl

25 is definately not a big pledge class. At Michigan (which has 37,000 undergrads), pledge classes can range from 10-55 girls. It just depends on the house and how successful of a rush they had. My pledge/new member class was 33. I think the average is about 25 and thats with 15 houses (17 when I was there almost 2 years ago). Quota this year is 40.
Old 09-24-2002, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nyrdrms
I go to a school of about 5,000 students, where Greek life is only 7-8%, and we have only 3 NPC sororities. Our average quota is usually between 12 and 16 and ceiling is 50. Last fall, during informal recruitment, we had 29 new members and we were at total. Because of the large pledge class (and yes, that is considered to be large at my school), sisters had to take two or three little sisters from the class so that everyone had a big sister.

Every chapter has their ups and downs...what you might see as unfair right now won't when you're in their shoes. Just keep a positive outlook...and if they did dirty rush, don't sink to their level, or the girls that you will attract are ones that will continue dirty rush and everything else that you're complaining about now. Remember, it's the quality of the girls that matters, not the quantity.