GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,698
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, PriscillaT
» Online Users: 854
4 members and 850 guests
3DGator, g41965, oncegreek, Tridentia

Old 09-06-2002, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDHoney
lifesaver, it sounds like you guys really have your stuff together! You really remind me of a group on our campus that are seriously the nicest, sweetest guys in the world and have an awesome brotherhood! Anyway, best of luck to you!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-07-2002, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Friday Night Update/Saturday Update

Tahanks KDhoney for the compliment. I appreciate it.

Well, things are definately looking good around here, recruitment wise.

Friday Event…
It was very successful. We had about 35 PNM's show up for Poker. They were all pleased with the food and especially the prizes. It was a great bonding event as all the brothers got a chance to meet most of the PNM's. Numbers are beginning to come together as well. It looks like we have about 22 definites, and about 8 most likelys. We will probably extend about 30 bids and sign 25 or so. Which is fine with us. Like I said, right on target.

Saturdays Alumni BBQ……
It went well as well. Historically it’s the lest attended event, because by this point, EVERYONE (PNM's and brothers) are sick of recruitment. But today there were about 18 PNM's out. There were a few new faces, but we pretty much know who is going to sign with us and who isn’t. Also, one of the blue chip guys we met at move- in, but haven’t seen since came out again, so that’s a good sign. I don’t know if he will sign on Monday, but our bids are good for one year, so we can take time to work on him.

The event was nice. Tropical Storm Fay decided to move on top of us, so we had to move the BBQ indoors, and had pizza and watched the Notre Dame game. There were a descent amount of alums out, and at the end of the event the alums were recognized and said what the house had done for them. It was pretty cool. One of the alums was speaking and doesn’t really understand the new way of recruiting we do (we never call them prospects and don’t really push chapter business or info..we just hang out… We NEVER ask them if they are going to join or are rushing. BIG TABOO! Sometimes ladies or girlfriends will ask "are you rushing Lambda Chi?" and I cringe. But real fast I get to find out what their interest in the org is.). Well, Vic, one of the oldest alums asks the crowd who wanted to join (he doesn’t get to come out that often, so he wasn’t familiar with who is a brother and who is a PNM) and all of the guys raised their hands, so we know they are definitely interested.

Our guys have definitely worked their asses off on this recruitment. I am very proud of them. I tried to explain to them how hard recruitment is and how tiring it can be. Since we have had several large groups come in over the last few years, our chapter tends to be very young. For a large number of them, this is their first recruitment from "the other side." I don’t think they understood that recruitment is a war, and you cant stop or slow down for anything. They do now. I am also very please with the professionalism of the recruitment process. Everything looked good; the banners and posters, the fliers, the recruitment web-site, the water bottles, the recruitment shirts, bids, pref dinner programs, etc. It all looks very well put together, and I am hoping that makes an impression on not only the PNM's, but the rest of the school as well.

More importantly, if we do sign 25, it will prove to us that we have broken free of the yo-yo cycles we have experienced in the past. Historically, we'd experience a 4 semester cycle. A big rush of 20+ guys, then a small rush in the next spring. A small rush the next fall where morale was at its lowest, and then the next spring, we'd understand that we were in a crunch, and put all energies and efforts into recruitment. We'd still have a poor rush, but we'd begin gearing up for the fall, and start all over again with a big group of 20+ guys.

Now, if we do sign the 25 guys, it will be the third fall semester in a row that we have signed at least 25 NM's. Finally, stability in recruitment that has a historical base and can be quantified. I can say this much. Having active, involved alumni does make all the difference in the world.

On Monday, I will let you know how Pref dinner went and how STEPS went. Wish us luck.
Old 09-07-2002, 08:35 PM

Re: Friday Night Update/Saturday Update

Wow, I have loved reading this thread. It *can* be done, and I hope that your goal is indeed achieved. The determination and dedication of your brotherhood is something to be respected and emulated. Hard work pays off, and it sounds like that "yo-yo cycle" is hopefully about to be broken. Kudos to you and all alumnae who remain active, it truly does make a difference.

Christin
Old 09-09-2002, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Sunday's Event…

Well, things are drawing to a rapid close for us. And things couldn’t have gone better.

Sunday was our Pref Dinner. We had it at the County Line, which is a pretty cool restaurant not too far from campus. We had 24 PNM's show up for the dinner, which is invite only. We had some really nice programs printed up for the event. We had shown up early to decorate the place. We put up our banners all over the place and had our chapter flag hanging form the ceiling. We ran the event like a program, with an MC, and several brothers got up to speak. I spoke on behalf of the alumni association, and was really honored, because my brothers and the PNM's gave me a standing ovation when I got up to speak. It meant a lot that they thought of me to do that. I was very moved.

We voted to extend bids on Saturday night. We had a total of about 45 PNM's visit the chapter. We only voted on 36 PNM's and of those, 31 were extended bids. I expect us to sign 24-26. They are at bid signing right now , and so I'll know something this afternoon. I expect us to sign 18-20 today, and the rest throughout the week. The other fraternities often tell their PNM's that they have to sign today or not at all. For us, that’s not a big deal. As long as you are signed by the second new member ceremony, its no problem. So that actually affords us two weeks to answer any concerns the PNM's might have or assure them if they are unsure.

I was very pleased with the way things turned out this semester. Most of the guys I met are quality. I will be doing a post-recruitment evaluation with the recruitment committee to see what our deficiencies are and what we could do better this spring. I have identified several areas we need to improve on, most notably the organization of the process. Our recruitment coordinator was very disorganized, and that must be corrected. We have also decided, that since fall rush is primarily freshman, we are going to focus spring recruitment on recruiting student leaders and upper classman. For too long we have treated spring recruitment like it was fall recruitment. I think that needs to change, because at our school, they are different creatures.

Anyway, I'll let you know how it all went later.
Old 09-09-2002, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to APhiRattlerGal Send a message via Yahoo to APhiRattlerGal
Wow congrats! hope it all works out the way we all want it to!
Old 09-09-2002, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

The numbers are in...

We have signed 24 NM's, and 5 more have said they will sign tomorrw when they are on campus, for a total of 29, which is the second largest in chapter history, and will push our chapter size to 70 men. All I can say is wow. We had one person we bid join another org, and the remaining person we bidded said he will wait until the spring to firm up his financial situation. I am very pleased with our recruitment critertia, as we got almost everyone we wanted. I guess we must also be improving at our closing abilities, as we have a 95% closing ratio.

We were the group with the second largest new member group. There was another org that signed more, but their retention rate isnt what it should be. Hell, for that matter neither is ours. Ours is better than most on campus (actually its one of the best), but I would like to see it approach 90%, which is reccomended by our HQ. Also too, we hold for grades. Our NM period lasts about 4 months. We do not initiate till after we get the grade reports in January. I think it would be a good feat to have 90% with holding for grades.

Anyway, I am very pleased with the results. Our new member ceremony is Friday at the Old San Francisco Steak House. Its a nice facility and I look forward to it. Now, I just gotta find a date.....

Thanks for everyones input and support on this thread.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Andy, sounds like you guys have the PLAN!

I like the Alum BBQ idea! Our guys are always trying to come up with some good ideas!

We have several times had a miniture golf thing in the House!

We do a volley Ball thing in the yard!

Also, I am trying to put put to all Alums who come to the house, bring Food for the Drive! We are shooting for 50,000 lbs! Hell that is a bunch!

Got e-m from last HA and we have 22 New Assoc. and looking for what we charged them at mentoring session of 30! They are shooting for 40! It would be the biggest ever!

We are going to need help to Initiate them all!

An Alum from William-Jewell offered to have his Brothers come down and help!

Is that Brotherhood or what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, just a pass alpng!

Oh By the Way AK AK, you must be taking lessons on typing from me!

May we all have GREAT RECRUITMENTS and The Greek System Grow!

JWOW, Hope He Goes LXA! Then I can call him my Brother and you can be my Aunti!

Come back to Kansas TOTO! You would have to be the Good Witch of the North!!!!!!!!!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-09-2002, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDHoney
Yay! Congrats to you and your organization! You're proof that hard work and dedication pay off in big ways!
Old 09-09-2002, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Way to go Lifesaver!!!
Old 09-09-2002, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I DID post a congratulatins, but it just never showed up!

Hey, you did GREAT! I know my son will be interested in the outcome. DO they still have te lady inthe swing at OSFSH???

Tom- I have been so impressed with the way the gentlemen on GC have represented thmselves as well as their fraternity.
LXA is no exception. The very fact that BOTH you and "lifesaver" are brothers speaks volumes.

One thing for certain, my son is so much like my daugter in the sense he will look for honesty, integrity and friendship. If the fraternities at LSU have brothers like all the wonderful young men who post and share a tiny bit of their life, it will be a most difficult decision for ANY young man seeking fraternal life.

Again-Congratulations-Ya DUN DID GUUUUD!
Old 09-09-2002, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Thumbs up

Lifesaver, Congratulations on your successful rush! If these guys are as outstanding as you, your fraternity will have a great future!
Old 09-09-2002, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Congrats to you and your chapter Lifesaver. Have fun at TOSFSH-I use to go there all the time as a little girl and swing during dinner-ahhh the good old days. They have the best bread.
BTW, what is a blue chip guy-I may have missed the definition in my post reading-so forgive me if I did.

Karen
Old 09-09-2002, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats on your successful recruitment! Beta Epsilon has begun their "Formal Recruitment" and I will keep you updated on that as soon as I hear from those guys! (Since you used to be part of that chapter I figured you might be interested?)
Old 09-10-2002, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Everyone...

Just a quick note to say thanks for your support.

We have a challenge ahead of us, but it will work out.

Aggie- A blue chip is a term borrowed from sports; Websters calls it: blue chip
Function: noun
Date: 1929
....2 a : an outstandingly worthwhile or valuable property or asset b : an athlete rated as excellent or as an excellent prospect
- blue-chip adjective

The guy the other fraternities signed, that you are glad you got....that will be a good asset to your org, athletic, academically strong, popular with the ladies, well rounded I guess. After they are initiated,we refer to them as "face guys," Guys that are mature, make the grades and arte good chapter salesmen... the ones you stick out to parents when they come by, or to admin when they need a representitive at a function, etc.
Old 09-10-2002, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Formal

First of all, congrats!

I don't really understand, though, how this is formal recruitment. Other than the fact that bids are all given out on the same day, there doesn't sem o be much structure. Do guys visit every house? Are events by invitation?