GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,700
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, bradauasd4780
» Online Users: 1,159
0 members and 1,159 guests
No Members online

Old 09-07-2002, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Glad to hear your update! I can't wait to hear about your rush, and you must tell us EVERYTHING!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-07-2002, 10:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
Carolina- we are always here to talk to!!!
Old 09-07-2002, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by MTSUGURL; 05-20-2003 at 02:04 AM.
Old 09-07-2002, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

CarolinaCutie,
First, don't worry about getting it all done. Your number one priority is academics, remember to put that first and then everything else will fall into place, truly. Also remember that doing things like choosing outfits and gettin pedicures is FUN, so try and enjoy yourself.
Try and relax and go in looking for a sisterhood that you can contribute to; I believe we get out of this what we put in. Don't listend to "tent talk" or campus gossip, judge the sisterhoods on your own interactions with them and your instincts and let your heart be your guide. That may sound trite but it's the best compass there is.
violets

MTSUGURL,
Thanks for the support, glad to know my sisters are doing well at MTSU!
Old 09-07-2002, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Suggestion

I do have one suggestion for you, and any other women going through as juniors. During your conversation, it's a great idea to mention how long you realistically will be in school - if it works to your advantage. You may technically be a Junior based on the semester hours that you have accumulated but perhaps your program is a five year program - that gives the chapter one more year with you that they may otherwise not have known about....

You jokingly asked about chapters being willing to give bids to women that have two (or perhaps three, lol) years left in school but that extra year or even semester can make all the difference in the world.

It sounds like you have a great head about the whole thing. Not getting hooked on one group may end up being the key for you. Someone mentioned earlier that large systems will sometimes release Jr's quickly. In addition, larger chapters - or chapters that typically make quota each year can be quick to release Jrs because they're fairly certain that they can fill their New Member class with all women that will be there for four years. Don't get discouraged if that happens to you. - I'm not saying that it will and it sounds like you are prepared for that situation.

There are many great chapters on that campus and I am confident that you can make a great match with one of them.

Good Luck! And Have Fun!!
Old 09-07-2002, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the advice, AlphaXiGirl... that should be really helpful. I am almost positive that I will be here one whole year after my senior year, because I want to teach (lateral entry), and I have to go through the liscensure program after I graduate with my degree. And if I don't do that, I might be here a whole two years longer pursuing an Education degree on top of my current major. I may be a junior but I will have more than two years to contribute. Thanks for pointing out that useful hint

I had one of my sisters' friends stop by and visit me tonight and she went through my closet and picked out some really cute things for me to wear, so I am starting to feel more prepared. As always, thanks for your constant support and care, GCers!
Old 09-08-2002, 12:13 PM

Carolina- one of my best friends/pledge sisters went through as a transfer- junior and majored in education. Because she had transferred in, she ended up being active for 3 years! She said she made it known to the orgs. when she went through bc she had heard that they could hold it against you. but she turned out to be a total asset.
So def. think positively and like AlphaXiGril said, tell them that realistically you will be there for a few years.
hope that helps...oh, and where are you rushing? I went to Elon in NC.
Old 09-08-2002, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking Just rushed as a Junior

Hey there

I just wanted to share with you my experience. I just transfered to the University of Southern California, and really wanted to join a sorority, but felt like I was too old and was worried about being a Junior.

I decided to try it out and knew that I wans't obligated to join, but when I went to the first meeting, I felt so out of place and alone. All the other girls were Freshman and all seemed to know each other - I guess from the Dorms and stuff, and I was close to giving up then and there.

I went to day one though for the conversationals, and had the best time, and knew from that moment on that I was doing the right thing. I was open an honest with everyone, telling all that I was a Junior, even though the school classified me as a sophmore to receive more financial aid. The girls were great and even went out of their way in each house to introduce me to other girls who has rushed as transfers or juniors.

I think I was in a better position as a transfer though, because it was my first week of school just like everyone else.

I didn't get cut from one house all the way through, and even received a bid from my top choice, and was thrilled. I realized I didn't know anyone in my pledge class, but was amazed to find out that I was one of three Juniors in my pledge class! I'm honored to be a DG pledge now!

They really welcomed me with open arms and I'm so happy I stuck with it and didn't drop out before rush even started. I hope you're having a wonderful time, and I hope that the girls will see you for who you are, and now how old you are!!

Keep us updated!!! and Good luck!

Honey
Old 09-10-2002, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Tonight is the first night of Recruitment for me... I should be excited and spending my time getting ready.

Instead, I spent all night last night breaking up with my boyfriend of one year. I even had to miss the final episode of Sorority Life because he wouldn't stop calling. He used my debit card online to make $300 worth of purchases, (not even the bank will cancel them) and has changed my passwords on my email accounts and AIM. I have gotten about 4 and a half hours of sleep... and I have class until 4, recruitment starting at 6.

I swear he did this on purpose to ruin my week

But don't worry... no matter what the circumstance, I am still gonna be able to put on a smile tonight and do this. I will chat, and I will be cheery, and I will show every person I meet that I am a person with a lot of good qualities. Haha sorry that was just my little public pep talk. I hope I come home on Sunday with a bid though... that sure would brighten my spirits!

(On a side note... GreekChat is an online community like I have never experienced. I have only been here for maybe two weeks, and I have hardly posted at all. Yet I felt totally comfortable just "telling" you guys all that, and I know that in many small ways, you guys will encourage me. It gives me great hope to think that maybe I will find a group of sisters like all of you )
Old 09-10-2002, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Red face

Cutie, I am so sorry to hear that your "boyfriend" did that to you. Have your parents talk to the bank - sometimes banks like an "adult" better. I'm sure you will still do a great job during recruitment, and I'm pulling for you!
Old 09-10-2002, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Dumb Boys!!!!

Good luck tonight, CC! Maybe getting involved with the parties will at least help you take your mind off all that crummy stuff for a little while! Hope you have some fun and keep us posted!
Old 09-10-2002, 12:56 PM

Cutie, I'm sorry to hear about all of this. It sounds like you've got a good attitude and are still excited about recruitment so good for you! Hope you get a few moments to rest and recharge today and the best of luck tonight.

Also, you may wish to have your parent(s) try to contact the bank regarding this as well, especially if they are long-time loyal customers of the same bank As a retired banker, there are different rules for debit cards than credit cards but there may be a way to recover some of your loss. Most likely not, but it may be worth another try. Also, if you haven't already, make sure to close out and change EVERYTHING he may have had access to account-wise (financial, personal, computer, the whole enchilada.)

Good luck Cutie. We're here for you.
Christin
Old 09-10-2002, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Give him a reality check!

That's fraud! Even you can't get the bank to give you the money, by law your "boyfriend" is responsible. And he had the nerve to call you! Oh my. I'd give him a big reality check by reporting him. He'll at least have to deal with the hassle of being criminally charged with fraud. Don't let him walk all over you like that and get away with it!!!

Good luck with rush as well!
-M
Old 09-11-2002, 04:25 PM

What your ex did is totally illegal and NOT COOL! I hope you get all of that resolved.
On hopefully a better note, how did your first parties go?
Old 09-11-2002, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry about your bf trouble

I hope that your first round of parties went well! You sound like a terrific person with a lot to offer any of the sororities on campus. Let us know how things went!