GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Omega
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,701
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, zadisonjnr5478
» Online Users: 771
1 members and 770 guests
g41965

Old 02-24-2004, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I would also like to add that their alumni associations are coed. No female associations/male associations. As far as I've seen, men and women serve in the same alumni associations, coed leadership and all.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-24-2004, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Attractive, you've also got to understand Filipino culture a little more....try to do some research into Filipino Greek life. It is very different from over here.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Attractive#7 Send a message via Yahoo to Attractive#7
Quote:
Originally posted by Senusret I
I would also like to add that their alumni associations are coed. No female associations/male associations. As far as I've seen, men and women serve in the same alumni associations, coed leadership and all.
Can you have same sex alumni associations here?
Old 02-24-2004, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

ummmm......I dunno. I suppose if the chapter is all male, then the chapter's alumni association would be all male. Like Kappa Delta.

But I dunno otherwise.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bro_strawter
If not mistaken, alumni associations can be made up anyway you want, as long as all members were initiated through an undergrad chapter....at least, thats what I've been told.

Strawter
Old 02-25-2004, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bro_strawter
If not mistaken, alumni associations can be made up anyway you want, as long as all members were initiated through an undergrad chapter....at least, thats what I've been told.

Strawter
My understanding is its not quite that way with APO-Phil. With APO USA, alumni can form themselves into chapter or area based assocations. With APO-Phil, there is only ONE Alumni association permited per state. So ALL the alumni in the state would be a member of that one association.

If I am in error, please correct me.
Section 71 Chair
Old 02-25-2004, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by emb021
My understanding is its not quite that way with APO-Phil. With APO USA, alumni can form themselves into chapter or area based assocations. With APO-Phil, there is only ONE Alumni association permited per state. So ALL the alumni in the state would be a member of that one association.

If I am in error, please correct me.
Do you mean one APO-Phils Alumni Associaion per US State or Filipino State?

(For Brothers who might not know, there are Alumni Associations for APO Philippines in the United States.)
Old 02-25-2004, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Senusret I
Do you mean one APO-Phils Alumni Associaion per US State or Filipino State?

(For Brothers who might not know, there are Alumni Associations for APO Philippines in the United States.)
Per US State.
Section 71 Chair
Old 02-25-2004, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bro_strawter

Strawter
I was under the impression that alumni associations could either be chapter based or location based. Meaning if Psi Phi wanted to create an alumni association all brothers who were initiated through Psi Phi could be in it. These associations are to keep in contact, reunions, etc. The location associations would be if you were initiatated in undergrad and you reside in the Nashville area, then we are all here together so we can do service together etc. Correct me if I am wrong, but this information came directly from Region IV conference when I went in Dec.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Attractive#7
I was under the impression that alumni associations could either be chapter based or location based. Meaning if Psi Phi wanted to create an alumni association all brothers who were initiated through Psi Phi could be in it. These associations are to keep in contact, reunions, etc. The location associations would be if you were initiatated in undergrad and you reside in the Nashville area, then we are all here together so we can do service together etc. Correct me if I am wrong, but this information came directly from Region IV conference when I went in Dec.
Yes, you are correct. APO allows for both chapter-based or location based. This is all covered in the "How to start an alumni association" booklet on-line at the National website.

Also, please realize that advisors and honorarys can also be alumni and join alumni associations, in addition to those who pledge or founded chapters as petitioners.
Section 71 Chair
Old 02-25-2004, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

So this being said, you can not start an alumni association that is single sex unless you are doing a chapter based inititive and you came from an all male chapter *like kappa delta*

I would like to ask everyone to bear with me. I am trying to find out more about the fraternity and what is right and what is wrong. I know all of this info is somewhere *bylaws, articles of association, guidelines* but I haven't had time to read and study everything. I'm trying to learn as I go.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Attractive#7
So this being said, you can not start an alumni association that is single sex unless you are doing a chapter based inititive and you came from an all male chapter *like kappa delta*

I would like to ask everyone to bear with me. I am trying to find out more about the fraternity and what is right and what is wrong. I know all of this info is somewhere *bylaws, articles of association, guidelines* but I haven't had time to read and study everything. I'm trying to learn as I go.
Don't know. I've seen nothing that said you can't have a single sex alumni association that wasn't chapter-based.

If this was not allowed, then there would be an issue with the various 'men of the rising sun' alumni associations. Since the Fraternity has allowed them to be formed and has recognized several as official associations...

Now, everyone who is a member of recognized alumni associations must be on record as APO Brothers. With the alumni association I am an officer for, we check everyone who applies for membership. We have had issues were some have claimed to be brothers and there was no record of them...
Section 71 Chair
Old 02-29-2004, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to JayBEE!!
Quote:
Now, everyone who is a member of recognized alumni associations must be on record as APO Brothers.
Is this new
Old 02-29-2004, 06:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Nope. National Bylaws.

Article XII, section 2
(3) Membership in an Alpha Phi Omega Alumni Association shall be granted only to persons who are
duly registered in the National Office as former active, advisory, or honorary Members of a Chapter.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb021 View Post
As I understand it, APO-Phil as an organization is co-ed. However, the men are in fraternity chapters and the women in sorority chapters. At the same school you would have an APO Fraternity Chapter and an APO Sorority Chapter with the same chapter designation. So the individual chapters are NOT co-ed, but the overall organization is because both the Fraternity & Sorority chapters are part of the same org.
i know this thread was posted years ago but i would just like to enlighten my brothers in the USA why Alpha Phi Omega Philippines is named both a fraternity and sorority.

APO philippines initially started as a fraternity. A lot of women helped the fraternity and they were organized into auxillary sorority chapters. upon the approval of admission of women into AphiO, the "auxillary" was later dropped.

Alpha Phi Omega Philippines is co-ed. The fraternity and sorority are not separate organizations. Each school has one chapter with a designated chapter name. A chapter may be composed of males and females. All the males in APO-Phils are the "fraternity" while the females are the "sorority". In other words, the term "fraternity" refers to the male members while "sorority" refers to the female members. But in the end, we are still one: Alpha Phi Omega Philippines.