GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,654
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Artisancne
» Online Users: 1,155
2 members and 1,153 guests
chi-o_cat, Mooch279

Old 07-28-2009, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^Ditto.

Court4short said twice in her post that she is a PNM and she gave her perspective as a PNM in the same major on whether to go through recruitment. She never said anything about OP's chances of getting a bid or anything about MS. Give her a break. It's not like she's giving advice about SEC rush when she hasn't been to an SEC school.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-28-2009, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Gees, if I knew I was going to feel attacked, I don't think I would have asked. I was just asking an honest question, looking for an honest answer. Not to be told I'm full of excuses. So I didn't rush my first two years...big deal. I was just focused, and had some other issues that needed to be taken care of before I could make a commitment to anything other than myself. It happens.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh please. If this thread were in the academics forum I'd give her a break. As it is, it's in the Sorority Recruitment forum. Logic would lead one to believe that the OP is asking for advice on recruitment, first and formost. PNMs, even those in the same major, have no place offering advice to other PNMs.

A simple "I feel your pain, I'm pre-pharm too and I'm going through recruitment" would be enough, not a huge post. If they want to sympathize together, that's fine, but they shouldn't be offering advice when there are plenty of greekchat members who DID have demanding majors, DID still join, and found a way to make it work who have yet to weigh in on this particular poster's situation.

Getting an attitude with KSUViolet is also uncalled for. She's one of the very few posters on this site who is almost always nice to any PNM (or poster, for that matter) and can still cut through the BS.

Last edited by agzg; 07-28-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleholbe View Post
Gees, if I knew I was going to feel attacked, I don't think I would have asked. I was just asking an honest question, looking for an honest answer. Not to be told I'm full of excuses. So I didn't rush my first two years...big deal. I was just focused, and had some other issues that needed to be taken care of before I could make a commitment to anything other than myself. It happens.
You're not being attacked. Most of the questions asked of you are an attempt to help you figure out your situation through self-reflection. Don't get your panties in a bunch. We can't tell you what's right for you.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok. Ok.
It was just getting a little rough the last few posts, and I was starting to think that maybe I asked a question I shouldn't have.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

My comments are from the sorority side of things. I feel a PNM who plans on transferring should tell the Chapter during Recruitment. It is the fair and honorable thing to do. This way the Chapter can make their selections with all the information and choose the candidates that best suit their needs. Yes it might hurt a PNM's chances, but if a Chapter really wants you as a member they will issue a Bid.

Please keep in mind each Chapter expects a certain amount of members for a certain amount of years. If the Chapter unexpectedly falls below Total it could place them in a difficult position with their I/natl. On top of that, in this lousy economy every Chapter has members with tight finances. All are suffering increasing member losses because of parent job loss, scholarship loss, dramatic tuition increases, education savings that tanked in the stock market, etc.

Point being, the amount of dues charged each member is based on the expected number of active members. Sororities have financial obligations too, especially those with a physical house. Some costs are fixed and cannot be cut (mortgage/loan, staff salaries, house maintenance, etc.) Other costs are rising, especially from companies that are trying to make up for lost sales in a bad economy. Unexpectedly losing members means the remaining members have to pick up that tab.

Last edited by Zillini; 07-28-2009 at 12:19 PM. Reason: typos
Old 07-28-2009, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

So pretty much, if I decide to go through with it, then I just need to be like "Hey, I'm applying to pharmacy school this year, and I'm not quite sure if I'm going to be staying here or transferring to another school." during rush? That's fair. I wouldn't want to put the houses in any position that would in the end hurt them. That wouldn't be fair to them at all.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
So pretty much, if I decide to go through with it, then I just need to be like "Hey, I'm applying to pharmacy school this year, and I'm not quite sure if I'm going to be staying here or transferring to another school." during rush? That's fair. I wouldn't want to put the houses in any position that would in the end hurt them. That wouldn't be fair to them at all.
You got it - especially if to give you a bid, they pass up another girl who would have been there for 3+ years. That hurts the sorority and another person who could have enjoyed that Greek opportunity.

Bottom line: if the majority of chapters at your school are not at campus total and always have to COB in both semesters to try to get there, I would go for it. (i.e. if your school is noncompetitive). You're most likely not going to be taking someone's spot.

If you are at a competitive school (i.e. there is one big huge rush once a year, hardly any open bidding, all the chapters are at total) I would skip it.

Also, a word about all these "juniors rushing" threads. Coming from a school where juniors FREQUENTLY rushed, it isn't weird to me. Many of the students at these schools simply do not have extra $$ to spare and they aren't going to jump into something they aren't sure they'll dig that costs a lot of money - there are still a lot of first generation college students and if not that, first generation Greeks. Most of the time when these women do go through rush, they know either know members in most of the chapters or a lot in one chapter and are pretty sure they'll get a bid.

The juniors at the SEC or other competitive schools are a different story. (Sweeping generalization ahead) These women seem to be the ones mostly who have had a lackluster to "ehh" first two years at college - it isn't The Most Awesome Thing Ever they were told it would be - and seize on a sorority as the way to remedy that. Unfortunately at those schools it doesn't work that way. Plus they often haven't really clicked with any other actitvities or clubs. All I can say is, if you're at the school of your dreams and it isn't fulfilling your dreams, either keep trying till you find your niche, or transfer.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Eeeeek..never intended to offend anyone. I simply wanted to share my advice with someone going through a similar situation as myself. Never did I ever state that I was "all-knowing", and I clearly stated I'm only a PNM! I went into such great detail because I felt it was necessary to explain my situation vs. the OP's. Also, I feel like I had the right to give advice just as much as members in a sorority. If you're not a Pharm major, you probably don't understand how weird our schooling is. Since I am, I understand where the OP is coming from. That's all. Just because I'm not in a sorority doesn't mean I don't have good advice to offer.

And sure, get mad because I got a little sassy with KSUViolet. I can see where that's upsetting..but it's not like I was completey out of line .

Thanks for everyone who actually understood I was just trying to help. I'm not a person who acts like I know it all by any means.

Done ranting. OP - hope I helped in some way. Good luck to you.

"If you find the girls that love the you, you love..well then that's just fAbulΦus."
Old 07-28-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
YES. Honesty is the best policy here. I feel as though it is a tad misleading for you to join, without telling anyone during recruitment that you may leave in a year. If you're honest with them, it puts the ball in their court, so to speak and you're being upfront with everyone. Best of luck to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by court4short View Post
And sure, get mad because I got a little sassy with KSUViolet. I can see where that's upsetting..but it's not like I was completey out of line .

Thanks for everyone who actually understood I was just trying to help. I'm not a person who acts like I know it all by any means.

Done ranting. OP - hope I helped in some way. Good luck to you.
I know you're just trying to help, but as has been said a zillion times on GC, it is not appropriate for a PNM who has yet to go through recruitment to be giving recruitment advice. School/pharm advice, sure. But not recruitment.

It's like getting hair color advice from the dude down the street instead of your stylist at the salon.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok ok, I understand where everyone's coming from. I know I don't know everything about sorority recruitment, or intended my post to give off the vibe that she should follow my advice 100%. Just was trying to empathize and give my 2 cents.

"If you find the girls that love the you, you love..well then that's just fAbulΦus."
Old 07-28-2009, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you should go for it...you never know unless you try! If you don't get a bid, you've lost nothing besides the fee you paid for rush.

I'm not sure if it's different for your campus, but at my school, in my chapter and several others, sisters typically went "alumn status" or something similar after their 4th year of school. The truly active sisters were in their Fresh through Sr years of college.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you might be limiting your sorority chances by mentioning that. I think you will have some chapters cut you that wouldn't, if you didn't say it. Should you still, to be honest? Can't tell you what to do.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggirl617 View Post
I think you might be limiting your sorority chances by mentioning that. I think you will have some chapters cut you that wouldn't, if you didn't say it. Should you still, to be honest? Can't tell you what to do.
This thread is pushing on a year old.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Be that as it may.... I think it's pretty silly to tell girls to share information during recruitment which would harm their chances. That always rubbed me the wrong way about the advice on GC. I have quite often seen with people who were considering transferring that joining a GLO gave them more reason to stay.