GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,610
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, banntjnry576
» Online Users: 1,296
3 members and 1,293 guests
KatieKate1244, MethrenLusia, navane

Old 10-08-2012, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiAlpha05 View Post
Oh no I'm sorry that's going on at your school. I just wanted to clarify (as a founder of the local sorority the OP is talking about--we are the only local on our campus) that our house never, ever hazes or condones hazing.

Always AlphaGam, have you thought about reporting the hazing activities to the GLO governing body, or whichever body oversees the locals? Or has this already been done without results? I'd hate to see these houses potentially sullying the reputations of other locals because they might be taking advantage of a (perceived) lack of national oversight.
My alma mater's Greek Life is really small blip on the radar. Greeks don't really have a governing body -- they all fall under Student Organizations. The locals on my campus have been around for decades longer than the Inter/National GLOs. I'm pretty sure the administration is aware of it but nothing has been done about it.

What I care about is them sullying the reputations of the houses on campus that DON'T haze. I don't want girls to be turned off from Greek Life altogether just because these locals choose to haze the crap out of these new members.

Again, I have nothing against local sororities. My concern is for the locals on my campus who treat their new members poorly. I fear that one day someone WILL get hurt and my campus does away with fraternities and sororities for good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
That's a good one, the locals on that campus have hazed openly for years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
Lay off, Carnation. She doesn't know the situation on whatever campus you are referring to.
Actually, Xidelt, carnation is very well qualified to speak of the campus culture I was referring to as she witnessed it herself when she was a student. From what I gather it was worse then than it was when I was a student. Several of the groups didn't survive, but there are still a few that are still around.

It's very hard to explain how it's like there without giving the campus away. carnation and I were talking specifically about the locals on my campus and this shouldn't be taken as a jab to PhiAlpha or to local sororities as a whole.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
I think this thread was posted before she pledged. It just got bumped today.
Thanks. Obviously didn't follow my own GC cardinal rule which is "look at the dates on the posts." Migraine's got the best of me.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 10-08-2012, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I believe Xidelt is operating under the assumption that these are two different campuses (which isn't inherently clear [intentionally?]). If they aren't, it seems like PhiAlpha was trying to make a helpful addition to the thread and carnation's response seems a bit abrasive. If they are the same campus then this all makes sense.

Last edited by justgo_withit; 10-08-2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Reading comprehension fail
Old 10-08-2012, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgo_withit View Post
I believe Xidelt is operating under the assumption that these are two different campuses (which isn't inherently clear [intentionally?]). If they aren't, it seems like PhiAlpha was trying to make a helpful addition to the thread and carnation's response seems a bit abrasive. If they are the same campus then this all makes sense.
These are two different campuses.

carnation's comment was about locals on MY alma mater. Nothing abrasive about her comment. It's the damn truth. Sure, PhiAlpha was trying to help, but I know and carnation knows that the administration hasn't done squat to stop the hazing.

I don't get what the big friggin' deal is. OP goes to the University of Michigan, as does PhiAlpha. I didn't.

Last edited by Always AlphaGam; 10-08-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Thinking about all the crossways conversations that sometimes happen here, this came to mind, Always AlphaGam.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 10-08-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Two different universes for locals.

In regards to asking about locals, I'd just like to say that I don't think there is that much in common between the following situations. ABC college where Panhel has 14 NPC sororities and there is also a local sorority on campus that started within the last 10 years and DEF college where the administration doesn't allow National Social Fraternities and Sororities and has 7 local sororities and 8 local fraternities and where most of them have been around since World War II. Yes there are a *few* schools that in between these two situations (like Gallaudet), but for the most part any question about Local Sororities needs to establish which of these situations is being talked about.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
In regards to asking about locals, I'd just like to say that I don't think there is that much in common between the following situations. ABC college where Panhel has 14 NPC sororities and there is also a local sorority on campus that started within the last 10 years and DEF college where the administration doesn't allow National Social Fraternities and Sororities and has 7 local sororities and 8 local fraternities and where most of them have been around since World War II. Yes there are a *few* schools that in between these two situations (like Gallaudet), but for the most part any question about Local Sororities needs to establish which of these situations is being talked about.
Exactly....except I'd change that 10 to 5. (1 year in college time = 4 years in real life time, like dog years)
Old 10-09-2012, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Exactly....except I'd change that 10 to 5. (1 year in college time = 4 years in real life time, like dog years)
I bow to your superior knowledge and experience...
Old 10-10-2012, 02:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Well, there's also the third, though rare option: There are locals and NPC's, and at least one of the locals is relatively old and well-established.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Well, there's also the third, though rare option: There are locals and NPC's, and at least one of the locals is relatively old and well-established.
There is a local at Eastern Michigan that is older than a lot of NPC groups original founding. That said, it's never as large as the NPCs, but it keeps on going nonetheless.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Yes, that's the "middle" Gallaudet type situation, I mentioned.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Yes, that's the "middle" Gallaudet type situation, I mentioned.
Oh, duh, sorry.