GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,700
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, bradauasd4780
» Online Users: 1,111
1 members and 1,110 guests
jleytx

Old 07-03-2002, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Since everyone will be bored on the normal background information questions on the first night (and guessing that there will be time to talk about more), what are some good questions to ask on the first night that will get you remembered. Should I ask questions about going greek and why they did even though I already know that I want to (I don't want the actives to think that I am second guessing the greek system or anything like that). Also I was wondering if it is a social or rush faux paux to talk about travels over the summer. Lets say that you went to europe over the summer, would it be too "showy" to talk about it, or is that hinting about socio-economic status?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-03-2002, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
I wanted to make one comment about asking about alumni involvement. You need to look at what school you are going to to decide if this is aplicable. I know in our chapter we have much more nation inviolvement then chapter alumna involvement. This is mainly due to the fact that I go to a campus where after college most people move far away from the town. It isnt like we dont have help from nationals and what not, but finding specific alumna of the chapter does not always happen.
Old 07-28-2002, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

bump!
Old 09-03-2002, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Bump!

Great thread!
Old 09-03-2002, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

BUMP!!!
Old 09-03-2002, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, from a guys perspective..

*lifesaver sniffs as he looks around*

I can smell the estrogen in the air up in here. Its like a bridal shower or something. lol Gotta man it up a bit. Anyone want a beer? Think the horns are gonna take the national title this year or are ya pullin for OU?

just kidding, lol

I would be impressed if a PNM asked me, "What makes you different from all the other fraternities here on campus?" "What can you offer me that they cant?" "Will my grades more likely improve, or drop if I join your org."

I'd prolly fall over dead If one asked, "Compared to the other groups on campus, where do you stand with a risk management program, violations?"
Old 09-03-2002, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sassykd
All of the questions provided are good ones, but i want to add my $0.02 in.

It seems a little odd to totally shy away from the social aspect of SOCIAL sororities. You don't want to dwell on it but the very nature of the organization implies that there are social aspects to the sisterhood. There are ways to ask about it without sounding like it is your only concern, however. We always encouraged PNMs to voice concerns they might have about it, "Does everyone drink", "Are you required to participate", "How has it interferred with your schoolwork". These are important things to know before you make a lifetime commitment to an organization.

Depending on the greek system at your school, find out how much greek mixing is done (not just boys and girls but girls with other girls) How much trouble is there with the GDIs?

Most importantly, the questions that are asked aren't really as important as paying attentions to the answers that you get. Listen to what the sister says...Does it seem overly rehersed or fake. Does the sister seem honest or is she just telling you what she thinks that you want to hear.

Hope this helps.

Melissa
Old 09-03-2002, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

As a neophyte...

...GCer -- only about a month here now, I realize this may be a dumb question but, what the heck does Bump mean in all these GC threads?

Anyways, one question that was a no-no when i was rushing was about moving in to the house -- like, Can I as a Pledge move in to the house? To some it was perceived that the only reason such a question would be asked was 'cuz you wanted a place to hang your hat...
Old 09-03-2002, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Arrow

Bump just means we want to bring a topic back to the top of the forum. Sometimes they are older threads and sometimes they just get buried under all the newer posts.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh okay....I think...

so the purpose of bumping is to keep it at the top of the Rush thread so it is seen and logged onto and posted onto more?
(HeY I am OLD!!! I don't catch on to things so quickly nowadays!)
Old 09-03-2002, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

That's it! We say bump when we want to move the topic back up but we don't have anything to contribute.
Old 09-03-2002, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking Thanks everyone!

I get it now!
Old 09-04-2002, 12:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shark_in_Skirt Send a message via Yahoo to Shark_in_Skirt
Carnation,

Thanks so much for starting this thread! It's been so helpful that I actually printed it out!

XOXO,
Annie, the big, overprepared nerd.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Hey, thanks Annie! I just saw your response almost a year late!

I'm printing this to give to about 8 PNMs--there's nothing like that blank feeling you get during recruitment when a sorority member asks, "So, do you have any questions?" and you know that their group has covered every single question you had during their presentation. Furthermore, you have suddenly forgotten how to speak English.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bsp-mich24
Hey LeslieAGD,

I liked your list of rush questions. I copied your list and parts of others into a word doc.

Michelle
Advisor / PAI Fall '03