GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,643
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, zaashleypitoz20
» Online Users: 931
0 members and 931 guests
No Members online

Old 08-28-2002, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Carnation,

I hope everything works out. I have no experience with blatant hazing so I cannot even imagine what watching that has to be like

I hope AOII looks into colonizing there. As you know we have many chapters in GA, and a very strong Atlanta alumnae chapter
Old 08-28-2002, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Have you spoke to anyone at NPC yet? What were their suggestions/responses etc.... How do the locals seem to be taking the news? Would they rather disband that have to go "cold turkey" on the hazing?
Old 08-28-2002, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

How exciting! I hope Pi Phi gets in on this!
Old 08-28-2002, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

I've contacted NPC, no response yet. Since we have no nationals, I don't know whether they're required to come in and put on a presentation or the existing groups can just go after whomever they want.

There are varying responses from girls and guys in the locals, from "It's about time" to "They can't stop us from hazing" (but the state can, idiot) to "They'll destroy our tradition" (what tradition--besides hazing?) One girl whom I've known for years has heard what all my oldest does in her sorority and is dying for her group to go national because there's just no comparison between the weak "programs" offered by her group here and the fabulous things that our daughter's AOII chapter does.
Old 08-28-2002, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

What wonderful news, carnation! Delta Zeta could use another colony... hmmmm
Old 08-28-2002, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
NPC Extension Director

Carnation:

Not sure who you may have contacted at NPC but the Extension Director is Jean Mrasek and her email is jmrasek@juno.com

I believe it is wise to have NPC send the expansion lead out to all the 26 NPC groups. The obvious ones you might think would come to your campus might not be expanding at this time, might not want to touch a hazing campus with a ten foot pole or may just not be interested in that student population etc. You will have far more to consider if all 26 know about it and you can sift through their information and purge it down to one national per local. You may want to contact John Caroll University in Ohio. They just took something like 5-7 local womens groups and forced them to go national and it seems they are all having a great experience.

Any questions, please IM me.

Denise_DPhiE
Director of Expansion
Delta Phi Epsilon
(and yes, we have plenty of alumnae in Georgia although we are not a "southern" sorority!!)
Old 08-28-2002, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I think Valparaiso University, Indiana is also a success story in regards to changing long-standing locals into NPC orgs.
I also think there are some GC posters who are Valparaiso students, they might be able to provide some interesting insights.
www.valpo.edu
Old 08-28-2002, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally posted by violets
I think Valparaiso University, Indiana is also a success story in regards to changing long-standing locals into NPC orgs.
I also think there are some GC posters who are Valparaiso students, they might be able to provide some interesting insights.
www.valpo.edu
Actually, the success was so-so, at least one of the national groups folded almost immediately after the change-over and another one shortly after that, if I understand the situation correctly. It could be the same group - they may have tried a recolonization after the initial changeover problems, and then closed for good after that.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 08-28-2002, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, that's a shame. Sorry if I gave incorrect information!
I just met a very happy VU alum recently which made me think of it.
It would, however, be interesting to understand what went wrong so similar problems could be avoided on other campuses.
Thanks for setting me straight PnguinTrax.
violets
Old 08-28-2002, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Carnation, sent our expansion team leader an e-m so will see what comes from that!

I know I pissed on his wheaties one time before, but I tried being nicey this time!

Goodest of luck and thanks for sending PM on this again!

your Luvin KS Gorilla Bud!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-28-2002, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PnguinTrax

Actually, the success was so-so, at least one of the national groups folded almost immediately after the change-over and another one shortly after that, if I understand the situation correctly. It could be the same group - they may have tried a recolonization after the initial changeover problems, and then closed for good after that.
Barbara - I remember us discussing this at the time - didn't you say the one who folded had bad internal problems to begin with? It looks like the other 7 are still there.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Carnation - please contact me

Sorry to use this forum, but I need some help with my login. I had to create another one just to post this. Carnation, would you mind contacting me privately? Aopinthesky@aol.com. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl

Barbara - I remember us discussing this at the time - didn't you say the one who folded had bad internal problems to begin with? It looks like the other 7 are still there.
I really don't recall, I just remember that one of the groups folded almost immediately.

I double-checked and it was AST, their Delta Xi colony, it looks like they were never installed as a full chapter and closed in 2000. I believe that the other chapters on campus began the changeover in 1998 or thereabouts, but not all chapters installed at the same time due to differing requirements amongst the various NPC groups.

From the ADPi (valpo) web site:

During 1997, the sororities at Valparaiso University explored the process of affiliating with national organizations. Throughout 1997 and 1998, the organizations affiliated as follows:

Alpha Xi Epsilon became the Indiana Theta chapter of Pi Beta Phi
Alpha Phi Delta became the Gamma Upsilon chapter of Delta Delta Delta
Gamma Phi became the Zeta Iota chapter of Gamma Phi Beta
Delta Phi Kappa (Kappa Tau Zeta) became the Delta Xi chapter of Alpha Sigma Tau (now closed)
Delta Chi Epsilon (Phi Omega) became the Eta Psi chapter of Alpha Delta Pi
Kappa Psi Omega became the Zeta Psi chapter of Kappa Delta
Phi Beta Chi became the Eta Delta chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma
Chi Sigma Xi became the Alpha Lambda chapter of Chi Omega

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.

Last edited by PenguinTrax; 08-28-2002 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Yup, it was AST.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Yep, the Valpo Kappas are Happy Kappas! So are the John Caroll Kappas. The JCU Kappas got a HUGE, 3 minute ovation when their President came out with their flag at Convention.

As long as there's strong alumnae support, the transition should go smoothly. Contacting Valpo and JCU would be a great idea so y'all can learn from their mistakes.

And of course another Kappa chapter would be awesome... but you can never have too many Kappas!