GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,700
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, bradauasd4780
» Online Users: 917
1 members and 916 guests
Titchou

Old 12-04-2002, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by xodiva1437
Generally the more publicized and accessible we are the easier we recruit. Adding more groups on our campus has actually really helped the entire system to grow. More people go through rush.. It's just all around better.
__________________________________________________ __

The more publicity we recieve the more accessible we are, but just because a new group is added on campus it does not mean that more people are going to go through recruitment. The same people will be interested in the system, and quota will be lowered. I understand that on your campus adding a new chapter may have helped, but panhel has agreements to protect itself, because it understands that occurences such as that one do not necessarily happen at all schools. I think that what happened at your school is a wonderful thing, but it is not likely to happen over and over again.
I would argue though with only 4% participating in Greek Life somehow your message and what you have to offer is not getting accross to people. I can see the other side of the things where sure the rules will protect the existing organizations but they will continue to be marginalized because of lack of new action. For the time being if the system is to grow it is entirely up to the same people that have failed to grow it for the past however many years.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-04-2002, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I am not arguing with your theory that the Greek System may need a change on that campus. My point is that the "change" in the form of adding an additional house may come at the stake of an existing house(s) which already operates within that system. The system needs to help itself first, and then move on with expansion.

If adding a new house means disbanding another house (and in many cases it does when a particular house is low in numbers and is not making quota), then the 4% population will not grow. In fact, it will remain the same or shrink. Like I mentioned before, what happened at your school is great, but it is not likely to happen repetitiously.

You are right when you say that changing the system and making it grow is the active houses responsibility. It's their system. If they did not care about their numbers and their system, then they would not be voting the expansion down. They need to find the right leadership and promote themselves correctly. I am sorry, but they do not need a new chapter to do that.
Old 12-04-2002, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't read through this thread very carefully, so my idea might already be out there. But....why don't the members of this upstart sorority just all join the group that is the smallest on campus? If bringing another house to campus would cause the existing Greek Life to suffer, then I think this makes sense. And if the girls in the new group don't really like the existing group.....well, there might be more of them & they can take over!
Old 12-04-2002, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with XODiva...

>>>adding a new house means disbanding another house (and in many cases it does when a particular house is low in numbers and is not making quota), then the 4% population will not grow<<<

Forgive me if this posts twice, I had a problem the first time, I think. But I have seen this happen firsthand. Someone decides that a new NPC sorority is just the ticket for boosting greek life and they convice those in charge, despite the fact that at least one group is struggling to achieve quota every year. The new group comes to campus and does very well because a lot of people are interested in the new kid on the block and there are no preconceived reputations. Predictably, this pushes the struggling group out. The greeks at the campus that is resisting this effort probably realize very well that if a struggling GLO gets pushed out due to a new group coming in, there WILL be a group to take that last place. They are doing the right thing in trying to take care of what they have.
I agree that growth is healthy, but expanding the greek base may not be the best alternative, and the fact that the existing GLO's are resisting that expansion may not mean that they are against growth.
Old 12-04-2002, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

On the other hand, is it smart to expect different results from just doing the same 'ol thing? If they're only at 4% don't you think that they might have discussed numbers at some point prior to this? Perhaps new blood would do the system justice. I'm not saying I'm right.. but neither will I say that you're right. I'm saying that there is the strong possibility that in times like this expansion is exactly what you need to garner more positive attention for the greek system in general.

I can tell you that I personally would never have joined a fraternity.. But the opportunity to join a colony and start a chapter was VERY enticing.

Colonies play to a different audience sometimes.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-05-2002, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

NPC expansion...

KTSNAKE-

I agree with you that growth is always good and that if there is a need for it, then GLO's should recognize it and not be afraid of it. Also, you make a good point that some people who would not consider going through recruitment might be interested in being part of a new colony.
Once an NPC chapter is colonized, though, and that excitement is over, they are still competing with all the other NPC groups for the same pool of PNM's, only quota is now lower. IFC groups don't have as big a worry about quota and chapter total as the sororities do, so I can see how a new group might not have as big an effect on things. I think anyone who has been at a small campus and seen a new group (NPC) get formed before there was a real need for it, will agree that it will mean the certain and swift demise of any group that is struggling. This might not be true on a campus with 12-15 houses, but I know that it is the case when the campus is small (as the original poster indicated that hers is).
Campuses will (and should) resisit expansion of NPC groups if they have one or more groups that consistently do not make quota and are not at chapter total and if most of their PNM's are offered a bid during formal recruitment.
Wanting something new, or having a group of people who want to be part of a colony but not an existing group is probably not something that would be considered as a reason for expansion in the NPC world.
Old 12-05-2002, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I completely agree with aopinthesky!!

You made the point that I was trying to avoid making, and that is that IFC i much different from Panhel. I have experienced a similar situation that you mentioned and you are exactly right. Either way, you will add another house and lower quota. Thank you for your view and explanation.