GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,700
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, bradauasd4780
» Online Users: 897
0 members and 897 guests
No Members online

Old 06-27-2003, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

WOW! Those dresses are cute. I've looked at the websites and even called around and the closest store to Oklahoma City that sells Lily is in Dallas. Now traveling to Dallas is not out of the question, but now that I have an idea of what to look for, I think I'll take my daughter shopping tomorrow. Actually, the strapless dress she had planned to wear looks just like the Sabrina design, but in a different print. Would a Lily strapless be a big NoNo also?

I think most of the patterns would work for her school, though a couple look a little too old. She likes bright, pretty, feminine colors, so I bet she would just love these dresses. All of her events are during the day in the middle of August, so I just don't think you can get too bright. A few extra dollars invested now would be worth it if it caused her to be remembered by a house she really wanted.

It's so difficult to find cute clothes in her size (1-3) that don't look trashy. What she really needs is new demin and khaki shorts, but we can't find any that aren't too short or too low or both! Maybe we need to start looking outside the mall.

Thanks for all your advice!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-27-2003, 07:18 PM

Wow, your daughter is so lucky to have such an enthusiastic Mom! Is Mom a sorority alumna?
Old 06-27-2003, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PNMsMom
It's so difficult to find cute clothes in her size (1-3) that don't look trashy. What she really needs is new demin and khaki shorts, but we can't find any that aren't too short or too low or both! Maybe we need to start looking outside the mall.
I don't think you can find cute shorts anywhere this year. I'm sticking to skirts and capris, again.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Hi PNM'sMom. You should check out the websites of department stores. Perhaps they can meet your daughter's clothing needs. Macys has some cute things for a young woman starting college. Good luck.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to steelepike Send a message via Yahoo to steelepike
Wow this thread is not really ment for me but I had to say something.

It is so nice of all of you to help the questions of someone wanting to know more about this dress thing. I just wish I had a question you all could answer for me. And I now know more about these dresses than I care to, so I will be out.

I feel my masculinity dropping as I type.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:25 PM

PNMM - I think this would be pretty for rush if it is your daughter's style:

Old 06-27-2003, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

well i just love love love lilly and yes it is expensive...but very classy and easy to spot! i myself own 2 lilly dresses and they have come to be my trademark. if you're looking for that "lilly look" for cheaper, a good line to try is the Key West line. the dresses look exactly like lillys and are the same fabric that she designed ( i think they are vintage or something) but go from $110-120 rather than my lillys which were around $175. good luck!
Old 06-27-2003, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Wow, your daughter is so lucky to have such an enthusiastic Mom! Is Mom a sorority alumna?
Yes, I am, but from a small private university that has a rush so different from a large public university that I am clueless. My sorority is a national sorority well represented on these boards. I just want my daughter to be able to make the choices about where she wants to go and not have those choices forced upon her just because she didn't have all the information she needed.

With just a few clues, my daughter could easily be identified among the many hundreds of rushees at OSU, so I would really rather not identify my sorority until after rush--then I'll tell all. I hope you understand--it's just too easy for a mom to tell too much.

Thanks for all your help! This is great fun!
Old 06-27-2003, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PNMsMom
Yes, I am, but from a small private university that has a rush so different from a large public university that I am clueless. My sorority is a national sorority well represented on these boards. I just want my daughter to be able to make the choices about where she wants to go and not have those choices forced upon her just because she didn't have all the information she needed.

With just a few clues, my daughter could easily be identified among the many hundreds of rushees at OSU, so I would really rather not identify my sorority until after rush--then I'll tell all. I hope you understand--it's just too easy for a mom to tell too much.

Thanks for all your help! This is great fun!
That's very understandable, PNMsMom - it'll made bid day twice as fun because we find out where your daughter is going and what sorority you are in! And since it's one well-represented on these boards, that narrows it down to, oh, almost all of them!
Old 06-28-2003, 01:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Talk about more intimidation with rush coming up! I caved in about the manicure and pedicure (difficult because I don't often spend money on myself), and now I need a $175 dress? (I know we don't NEED one, but you get my meaning.) How much are the shoes that I'll be needing to go with it? If I'm paying that much for a dress for rush, I better have a bid card in hand before rush even starts so I know that the dress is accomplishing the goal. And it better be able to wash itself. There are several threads saying not to load up on a new wardrobe for rush, just look nice and put together, be confident, etc. These dresses cost about a fourth of a semester's dues on my campus. One more thing to worry about at a Southern school...
Old 06-28-2003, 09:25 AM

These dresses are so cute!
I spent days of shopping looking for a sundress to wear to a casual, outdoor wedding earlier this month but no such luck. One of those dresses would have been perfect!
Does anyone know if they are sold abroad in, say, Europe in general? I know you may be able to order them online but I prefer to try before I buy..... Something about American sizes not always corresponding to their European counterparts.....
Old 06-28-2003, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

As a sorority member from Norman, being just outside of OKC when shopping for rush clothing, I liked the upscale stores in Penn Square Mall, Georgino? and such, or the better clothing departments of Dillard's or Foley's. For Preference dresses, try Harold's at 50 Penn Place.

OU or OSU rush? I've been through one, know ton's of girls that went through the other.
Old 06-28-2003, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
Quote:
Originally posted by MTSUGURL
Talk about more intimidation with rush coming up! I caved in about the manicure and pedicure (difficult because I don't often spend money on myself), and now I need a $175 dress? (I know we don't NEED one, but you get my meaning.) How much are the shoes that I'll be needing to go with it? If I'm paying that much for a dress for rush, I better have a bid card in hand before rush even starts so I know that the dress is accomplishing the goal. And it better be able to wash itself. There are several threads saying not to load up on a new wardrobe for rush, just look nice and put together, be confident, etc. These dresses cost about a fourth of a semester's dues on my campus. One more thing to worry about at a Southern school...
Crystal, don't worry! I'm sure you could find something very cute and appropriate for a reasonable price at a department store. I may not be from a large "Southern" school (a lot of people don't consider Florida part of the south! LOL), but I imagine that there are several outfits that would be considered classic and classy. I would probably never drop that much money on a dress either, but mostly because I look horrible in those types of dresses.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 06-28-2003, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I thought this one is very pretty and sorta "lillyish" Its much cheaper too. I think strapless is ok for rush but it wasn't a factor at my school w/ winter rush. Victoria's Secret Dress

ps. Sorry I'm a big dork and still can't figgure out how to paste pics
Old 06-28-2003, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I think this is the pic that JohnsDGSweetheart wanted to post. I think that's a cute dress that would look great with a little cardigan!

I don't think anyone is saying that you have to have a Lilly dress ladies, but to have something like a Lilly dress. Your best bet is to check out the recruitment guide if you got one, to look at pictures on chapter's websites from recruitment, and to always err a little on the dressier side if you're unsure.