GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,263
1 members and 1,262 guests
Sarak24034

Old 10-10-2003, 12:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Congrats KD!

Would love to hear how the other sororities at Univ of Oregon did -- esp Gamma Phi Beta!
Old 10-10-2003, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

I heard that quota was 23 and that 6 groups matched quota (AXO, A Phi, Chi O, DG KKG, and Pi Phi). Of the groups matching quota, 5 of the 6 matched quota plus - including DG that matched quota plus 7 for a total of 30 new members!

Alpha Phi matched quota plus 2 for 25 new members!!

GPhiBLtColonel - Gamma Phi matched 17
Old 10-10-2003, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aphigal
Of the groups matching quota, 5 of the 6 matched quota plus - including DG that matched quota plus 7 for a total of 30 new members!
How did this happen? I thought quota additions weren't supposed to be more than 5% of quota...

Anyway, congrats to all
Old 10-10-2003, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Some GA's will do this because it is for women who maximized their opportunities and otherwise would have been cross-cut. Even though it is against Greenbook rules.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

There is an unverified rumor that the GA allowed those chapters that matched quota but were under total to snap to Total even though its against the greenbook policies. So whereas some chapters took legitimate quota additions, other chapters took some legitimate quota additions and additional snaps to fill to total.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MFC2002
There is an unverified rumor that the GA allowed those chapters that matched quota but were under total to snap to Total even though its against the greenbook policies. So whereas some chapters took legitimate quota additions, other chapters took some legitimate quota additions and additional snaps to fill to total.
huh? I swear every time I hear "snap bidding" I get confused. What is the difference between "snaps to fill to total" and simply giving open bids to fill to total? Does it have to do with timing or something?
Old 10-10-2003, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
The term SNAP BID is supposed to be used to refer to bids given to women in the period between when formal bids are matched and when the formal bids are distributed. SNAP Bids (per the "green book") are only supposed to be used to take a chapter who didn't achieve quota to quota. SNAP bids are not supposed to be used to take a chapter that has met quota to total.

The idea is that women who do not match or who dropped out of formal recruitment are given a chance to accept a bid and be part of the formal bid distribution process and bid day activities.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Quota plus 7?!?! That is insane. I understand the "play by the rules and you'll get a bid" mentality, but doing a quota addition of 7 is way too many.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Yah, I just heard about all this madness myself. I'm totally not sure what went on. I swear, I leave, and everything goes crazy. I was computer chair last year, and this definitely did not happen then. I guess our house got 22, not 23, but not that big a difference. I'm not sure exactly how many each of the other houses got though. All I know is, I'm confused. If you're interested in seeing some of the house's bid day pictures though, here's the link:

http://www.printroom.com/ghome.asp?d...oto&group_id=2

If anyone hear's more about how this happend, or understands how this could happen, please let me know. I'll let you guys know too if I can get any word on it.

Last edited by KDbutterfly; 10-13-2003 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:55 AM
GreekChat Member

After thinking about it some, the fact that DG got 7 over quota does seem a little odd. But I know their senior class was huge last year, so they lost a lot of girls. It's possible that the greek life office made an exception for them so they could be closer to total, but that seems unfair for everyone else. The senior class at KD wasn't that big last year, so we were pretty close to total before rush even started. So, maybe if I had all the numbers in front of me on how close to total each house is, maybe it would make more sense that they let DG take that many over. There's some houses on this campus though that I don't think are all that close to total. The whole thing seems odd to me.