GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Gamma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,609
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, CKattygirl
» Online Users: 1,135
2 members and 1,133 guests
Cookiez17
Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 03:24 AM

Has there ever been a chapter that was designated as "Delta Gamma", or is intentionally not used, being that that is the Fraternity's name? Just wondering
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-29-2005, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Just thought I'd drop this in here. The Gamma Chi chapter at Cal State Long Beach now has a website up & running. I don't think it's completed yet but look at the pics of the ladies. They are truly awesome & beautiful.

Delta Gamma - Gamma Chi Chapter
Old 06-29-2005, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe I'm just missing it on the list, but we had a chapter at Stanford originally chartered before Gamma (1907) and then closed in the 1940's. Then recolonized in the late 1970's and then closed recently.

According to my ANCHORA where they listed every chapter ever founded on the cover (Summer 1999), it was chartered right before Indiana. It was also Upsilon chapter.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ajuhdg
Thanks, I'll go back and check the list I have. I got it out of a compilations magazine thing I bought on Ebay. It has every Anchora up until the 70's. It's pretty cool! Don't know when I'll get to it though. I've been pretty busy lately!

ETA: I found it! I must have just missed it during my initial typing. This book goes up to 1974, and it doesn't say anything about it re-opening. So, if you know differently, let me know and I'll change it!

aj

Last edited by ajuhdg; 07-07-2005 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

The Zeta Psi Chapter at Salisbury was founded in 1996...you also asked for our website..its http://orgs.salisbury.edu/deltagamma
We were the 4th sorority on the campus!

Ashley
Old 07-26-2005, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Tried to dig up some info on the Stanford chapter's recolonization and here's what I could find:

In 1977 Stanford lifted the ban on sororities and DG was one of the groups that returned. Four years later (1981), Delta Gamma became Stanford’s first officially recognized sorority in 37 years. This is kind of odd since I think the date DG recognized the chapter was probably in the late '70's, but Stanford didn't recognize them until the early '80's. Not sure what you want to do with that one.

They relinquished their charter (for the second time) in Jan. 1999.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Great and worthwhile project! The final version should be on Anchors Online.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Zeta Nu-Montevallo we colonized in 1991.

Zeta Xi-UAB colonized the same day as we did too.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's a couple of things you're missing:

Zeta Epsilon - Founded in 1987

Zeta Iota - 1989

Phi Alpha - 1878. For unknown reasons, Greek life was banished from the FranklinCollege campus. Recolonized in 1995 as Phi Alpha because Phi chapter designation had been given to University of Colorado. Phi Alpha signifies that they were the first Phi chapter.

Zeta Psi - Was local named “Women’s Interest Group”

Eta Beta - Installed November 16, 1996. Began as Local Delta Psi Omega

Eta Theta - Installed 2001

Eta Nu - Local KDA was formed in 1992
Old 12-29-2006, 04:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AritheDG
Eta Alpha started as the Anchor Club in 1996 on campus. Then later that year is was formly chartered. We have been on campus for 10 years now! WHOOT!
Old 01-24-2007, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ajuhdg
Sorry to everyone! I've been away for quite awhile! I just went through and updated the list. If anyone has anything else to add, just let me know!

aj
Old 04-30-2008, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I love this list -- it is very informative. Thanks for creating and maintaining this ajuhdg! Here are some updates (quoted info is from the chapter histories at anchors online):

Eta Delta-North Florida (1999) "[Prior to the colony] the group of women existed as a successful local group. The Sorority Interest Group, also known as SIG, was founded in the fall of 1997... At the time, UNF only had two Panhellenic sororities..."

Eta Epsilon-Vanderbilt (2000) “The Eta Epsilon chapter of Delta Gamma Fraternity was the tenth NPC group to join Vanderbilt’s Greek Community.” [There was no local in this case.]

Eta Zeta-University of Chicago (2001) “On October 1st, 1999, on the University of Chicago campus, seven women assembled for the first ever CAPPA meeting. Chicago Students Accomplishing Personal and Philanthropic Achievements was founded by Diana Fridman in her sophomore year…. They researched the remaining twenty-four National Panhellenic groups that remained; Alpha Omicron Pi and Kappa Alpha Theta were already on campus.”

Eta Alpha-Pepperdine (1996) L: Anchor Club “Twenty-nine young women became new members … At this point five other strong national NPC chapters had come on to campus including, Pi Beta Phi, Tri- Delta, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Alpha Phi, and Gamma Phi Beta.” I am not sure how you want to present this, since they all became "national" sororities at the same time.

Zeta Zeta-Boston University (1988) “1987 – Interest Group A formed with 18 women
March 1987 –Special Interest Group A wrote to Delta Gamma with interest in affiliation [They switch back and forth between “Interest Group A” and “Special Interest Group A”, so I am not sure which is the official title of the group.] …Delta Gamma was the 10th NPC group on campus; there were nine fraternities at the time. [I’m assuming this means the 10th ever, though not all were active at the time.]”

Zeta Xi-Alabama, Birmingham (1991) “In 1985 Zeta Pi, a local sorority, organizes on the campus of UAB and then approaches Delta Gamma for affiliation...”

Epsilon Gamma-Virginia “Eighteen women met for the first time on April 6, 1977. At the second meeting on April 27, the women elected officers, and selected the name Gamma Chi… Friday evening, November 17, 1978 the Virginia Tech (Delta Rho) Delta Gammas conducted a ... inspirational program for the prospective initiates.... Epsilon Gamma chapter was installed the following day, November 18, the same day as Epsilon Beta chapter, Bucknell University.”

Epsilon Beta-Bucknell “installed… November 18 [1978]”

Epsilon Zeta-Loyola Marymount “Sigma Sigma Sigma and Alpha Phi were the first NPC groups on campus. Gamma Delta began with 17 women looking for a national organization to be a part of. When they decided to petition Delta Gamma… The Epsilon Zeta chapter was installed at Loyola Marymount University on February 1, 1981…”

Epsilon Rho-Western Michigan (1984) L:TXD relinquished their charter in 2007 so there are currently 145 active chapters.

Delta Phi-California, Irvine was founded in 1974.

Delta Chi-California, Davis was founded in 1975.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

"Zeta Xi-Alabama, Birmingham (1991) “In 1985 Zeta Pi, a local sorority, organizes on the campus of UAB and then approaches Delta Gamma for affiliation...”

I'm not sure where this came from but I can assure you this group was not the colony for Zeta Xi. The chapter was colonized in fall of 1990 with no local or interest group in place. I should know - I was there when we made the expansion presentation in the Spring of 1990 and that fall when the colonization was done. There was no local or interest group involved. Since I was their first ATC (ABC back then), I know this for a fact.

Last edited by Titchou; 09-19-2008 at 07:51 AM. Reason: date correction
Old 04-30-2008, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
"Zeta Xi-Alabama, Birmingham (1991) “In 1985 Zeta Pi, a local sorority, organizes on the campus of UAB and then approaches Delta Gamma for affiliation...”

I'm not sure where this came from but I can assure you this group was not the colony for Zeta Xi. The chapter was colonized in fall of 2000 with no local or interest group in place. I should know - I was there when we made the expansion presentation in the Spring of 2000 and that fall when the colonization was done. There was no local or interest group involved. Since I was their first ATC (ABC back then), I know this for a fact.
You are so right, Titchou. I think it was the way I read the chapter history section from Anchors Online to mean that the same group was the one petitioning Delta Gamma over and over:

During the 1984-1985 academic year, the UAB Panhellenic contacted Delta Gamma for serious consideration in expansion on the campus.

In 1985 Zeta Pi, a local sorority, organizes on the campus of UAB and then approaches Delta Gamma for affiliation. Delta Gamma rejects this offer.

In January 1989, again, the university offers an expansion on campus to Delta Gamma. Again, Delta Gamma must reject this offer due to a full expansion schedule.

And yet again, in January 1990, the UAB Office of Student Life contacts Delta Gamma about a possible expansion. Delta Gamma responds favorably and discussion between Delta Gamma and the university begins.

In the spring of 1990, representatives from Delta Gamma began presentations on the campus of the University of Alabama, Birmingham. These representatives included Barb Probst, Patsy Martens, Kim Martin, Cathy Waggoner, and Beverly Harper.

In June of 1990, Delta Gamma was chosen to colonize at UAB in the fall of 1990.

It's so amazing the resources we have here; someone knows this historical information to be incorrect because she was there! Thanks, Titchou, for correcting me.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't remember Kim Martin and Cathy Waggoner. Anne Gojdics (sp?) and Celia Ford were there for the presentation with the rest of us. I'm one of the others listed above.
Closed Thread