GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,287
1 members and 1,286 guests
indygphib
Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Alpha Phi Omega is not a substitute for a social sorority or fraternity.

Please only pursue membership in Alpha Phi Omega if you are truly looking for a SERVICE FIRST fraternity experience. Doing otherwise is disrespectful to our fraternity and its brothers.
I don't think she meant any harm in what she said about APO. I think it's just the way she stated it in her sentence.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-20-2006, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to I_Love_Penguins
I didn't mean anything negative against APhiO. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I know many many people in our campus APhiO chapter and they are all great people. I am into community service and wish I could do more of it...that's why I brought it up as an option. I should've mentioned that before. Sorry to anyone I offended.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you have the option of starting a new sorority on campus?
Is there any school that you want to transfer to?

These are two backdoor ways that you can become Greek.

If you never make it, here's a way to look at things...

Counseling won't make you feel better, lol. Filling that void, will. Think of filling the voids (whatever they are) as an end, think of sorority life as a mean. It is a great mean, but not the only mean. There are other ways to keep your self happy during and after college, but you will have to search for it. I eventually did after dropping out. There's light at the end of the tunnel.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?

Last edited by Dionysus; 03-21-2006 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dionysus
Do you have the option of starting a new sorority on campus?
Is there any school that you want to transfer to?

These are two backdoor ways that you can become Greek.
LOL.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
LOL.
It's possible though, lol. I won't name names. And as someone who dropped out and regretted it for a while, I don't blame them at all.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 03-21-2006, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's my update:

I did in fact get called into work tonight (we are constantly shorthanded where I work, so I don't really like to bail out when I am called on to come in) so I had to miss the sweeten ups event. However, my friend went and she said that she spoke to our Greek Life coordinator...and apparently there will be another rush period. I am not sure if this is a formal rush period or what the deal is. So I will keep everyone up to speed as soon as I get more info.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by I_Love_Penguins
Here's my update:

I did in fact get called into work tonight (we are constantly shorthanded where I work, so I don't really like to bail out when I am called on to come in) so I had to miss the sweeten ups event. However, my friend went and she said that she spoke to our Greek Life coordinator...and apparently there will be another rush period. I am not sure if this is a formal rush period or what the deal is. So I will keep everyone up to speed as soon as I get more info.
Oh cool! I'm not sure what sweeten ups are, we dont' have that at my school - but I'm glad your friend went and got info for you.

Be sure to be on the lookout for the second rush period - it might be COB. But keep a look out b/c COB goes by very quickly for some chapters and a lot of girls dont' even know about it!!!!! So be sure to keep updating yourself on what's going on.

See.....we all sent you positive thoughts and look what happened.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xoheatherxo
hey...i dont mean to be a downer on this thread, but I_Love_Penguins, you wrote that work is more important to you than going to that event for information. i hate to break it to you, but pledging and being an active sister takes up a lot of time. you dont want to be one of those actives that barely goes to anything. sorry for this post, but something about saying that work is more important stood out to me on her post...and it made me think how i barely had time to study and go to all my pledge stuff during pledge semester, let alone have a job. just something to think about! good luck if you do decide to go through rush!
Old 03-22-2006, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDMafia
It's not like she choose to work. She was called in and she did the mature thing by going in to work rather than blowing it off to do something fun. She stated earlier that she was already scheduled to work and didn't like to call off because they are short handed. I think that shows integrity and she shouldn't be punished for that. I know lots of girls that worked during pledging and rush. If you have your schedule in advance you can coordinate your work schedule, she just found out about this too late. Let's give her some credit for having responsiblities.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree that sorority membership is a time committment, but being a sorority woman also means honoring prior committments and being dependable.

ILP anticipated being called into work, was called into work and she chose to honor that committment. I respect that she didn't blow off something important that could jeopardize her position at work just for an informal meeting that will no doubt be held again this year or next year. She did indicate that she is interested in sorority membership and from her previous posts, I would go out on a limb to say that she "gets" that there are mandatory committments.

As a former student who had to work to put myself through school, I can't say I blame her for sticking to her prior committments and not dropping everything to attend an event she had just heard about.

Original Post: Well unfortunately I just realized I am probably going to be unable to attend tomorrow night's sorority event because I might have to work and it's too late to ask for the night off. Plus work is just more important to me...gotta get that money! But I'm not abandoning my thoughts of re-rushing just cause I can't attend tomorrow night.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I too had to work through school and pledging and being an active in the sorority. I knew that being in a sorority and pledging a sorority was a time commitment but I also had to work so that I could pay for dues, rent, etc. In my chapter, no event was ever manadory without two weeks notice, except of course meetings which are obviously held at the same time and day everyweek.
It can been done very easily by simple time management skills, plus most jobs for college students usually have a set date that students need to ask for time off. Of course people occasionally miss things while in the sorority. I planned my work schedule around my sorority and class schedule. I knew that we usually had socials on thursday nights and we had meetings on Sunday nights, so I planned to not work at those times. There were occasionally times I had to work when I had sorority events, so if I couldn't cover my shift then I had to work.
Its a great why to prepare for the future. when you have kids you have to balance between work and children or a spouse or civil engagements.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
Original Post: Well unfortunately I just realized I am probably going to be unable to attend tomorrow night's sorority event because I might have to work and it's too late to ask for the night off. Plus work is just more important to me...gotta get that money! But I'm not abandoning my thoughts of re-rushing just cause I can't attend tomorrow night.
I chose the same thing once. I deferred getting involved with our colony until its second semester. I regret that decision. If I had it to do all over again, I'd either have demanded a different work schedule or found a different job.

College jobs are expendable for the most part and one is just as good as another.

Good luck and all, but personally, I'd advise that you ditch a job that's that inflexible. It'll only get worse if you get a bid (you know, when your organization has mandatory events)..
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-22-2006, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

The job doesn't sound inflexible-- it sounds like she had a prior committment and then learned of the recruitment event. I think she managed her time wisely. I wouldn't blow off my day job if it was the means to which I paid my rent and tuition just so I could go off and join a social organization.

Missing one info meeting isn't going to kill anyone.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmm. Sounds like I sparked off a debate, much? I figured I should retell my side of the story before things turn kinda nuts.

What happened is that I found out about the sweeten ups on Sunday upon returning back to school from break. Now, I work in a dining facility on campus and the place where I work at was closed on Sunday. I had no way of knowing my schedule at that time. So Monday, I go to check my schedule and did not see myself scheduled for Tuesday. I could've just let it go, but I know that there are times when managers revise the schedule for whatever reason...so therefore I did know there was an outside chance that I would still be working.

Tuesday I went in after my afternoon class to speak to my manager to see why I was not scheduled for Tuesday because they told me I could have that day from now on. It all started a few weeks ago when my one boss mentioned he was short one person for Tuesdays most of the time and I told him I could work because I was available then. So he said he'd put me in on the schedule for Tuesdays. I digress though. As soon as I walked in to check the schedule, the managers that were on duty were standing in the office trying to figure out last night's schedule. Turns out they needed four people for coverage last night and when they saw me, they asked me to come in at 5:00 and stay until close. When I said they would, the one manager said OK now we only need three more people.

I knew then I was really in NO position to say I'm not working tonight. I mean I could have said I was unavailable, but I'm sure that might not have looked so good to them. I don't like to have people upset with me because 1) I'll get upset if people are upset with me and show it and 2) I need whatever hours I can get. No I do not work every night, but if they are in a situation like yesterday when they were scrambling for shift coverage (not the first time this has come up either)...I feel I should help as long as I am available.

Oh and for anyone who is interested. I did go to Greek Life today and the girl told me that this rush period that is taking place is not like what we went through earlier in the semester. She said that some of the sororities will be COBing so keep an eye out around campus and on the Greek Life website for dates. We shall see...
Old 03-22-2006, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by I_Love_Penguins

Oh and for anyone who is interested. I did go to Greek Life today and the girl told me that this rush period that is taking place is not like what we went through earlier in the semester. She said that some of the sororities will be COBing so keep an eye out around campus and on the Greek Life website for dates. We shall see...
PLEASE KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN!!!!!! As I said before COB can come and go like that - so watch for it!

I'm glad things are looking up.

And you didnt' start a debate don't worry.
Closed Thread