GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,704
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, aalxeyfrancesa1
» Online Users: 956
0 members and 956 guests
No Members online

Old 09-05-2006, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

So, if a National Organization has no property, what is the point of having insurance if the very things we get insurance "to cover" aren't covered by the policy?

I mean, isn't it basically just paying this exhorbitant (sp?) amount of money for almost no protection?

Sorry if I sound out of it, I'm just wondering how it will actually protect organizations.

I personally hate Insurance Companies because I feel they are a big scam to millions of people.

If you don't own property as a National Org, how does the insurance benefit you if your most likely situation is going to be a hazing/alcohol incident?
National APIA Panhellenic Association (NAPA) Vice-Chair
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-05-2006, 02:15 AM
GreekChat Member

It is a matter of legal realities.

The real fact of the matter is that a given fraternity chapter operating on a given piece of land- usually owned by a Housing Corporation associated with that chapter- will have the direct control over, and responsibility for, an incident that could result in a lawsuit.

But the reality is that a civil suit will typically be filed against the chapter, the University/College where it happened and the national headquarters of the fraternity.

And legal precedent shows that such organizations, especially national HQs of Greek organizations, will be held legally liable.

The theory is that nationals are supposed to set the tone for local organizations and how they are run.

The reality is that this is the "deep pockets" principle. In other words, if you want big money in a civil suit, you sue the groups that have the money and can afford to pay a judgment. And naturally, GLO HQs and Universities will tend to have more money than a local chapter.

HQ assessments for insurance are on the rise because of this. It is common for a chapter to have to pay insurance fees per active/pledge each year to nationals that equal or exceed annual active member dues.

I am not sure what exclusions exist at the national HQ level for an insurance claim, but considering the overall premium paid via annual assessments to chapters it would appear these policies cover all bases regardless of the actual cause of the incident.

Is it fair in the grand scheme of things? Not really. But it is reality, and we have to deal with it.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Property Insurance is totally different from Risk Management insurance.

While they may be intertwined, they will be and included in any Law Suit.

This then will include all of the things I mentioned above.

If any GLOs are in doubt, check with Your HQs and ask them the % increase for RM.

I am sure it may be an eye opener!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-29-2006, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

California Governor Signs Anti-Hazing Bill

News outlets in California are reporting that the governor has signed the anti-hazing legislation.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/15641794.htm

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/...s/15641794.htm

As I mentioned earlier, this should be of interest to inter/national (and local)GLOs with chapters in CA, to chapter advisors, to Greek Life staff, risk management chairs in CA, and so on.

Last edited by exlurker; 09-29-2006 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO dammit arnold.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Well shoot.......leave it to the Chi Taus to mess things up......wait, what is a Chi Tau?