GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,635
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, BCNAmbrose
» Online Users: 2,387
0 members and 2,387 guests
No Members online
View Poll Results: Does your chapter haze?
Yes. 324 24.77%
No. 868 66.36%
Not sure. 116 8.87%
Voters: 1308. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-2008, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Can I sue my graduate school then?
Old 02-18-2008, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little32 View Post
Can I sue my graduate school then?
They call that academic rigor and gate keepership for your profession.

But a lot of it is hazing.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:22 AM
GreekChat Member

My Chapter is re-establishing itself after being kicked off our campus a few years ago for hazing allegations. I do not know the specifics, but we just came back and colonized last semester. This semester is our first semester with RUSH, and as one of the pledges, I can say we take out no Hazing seriously. From what I can tell they do not, or will not make us do anything we do not want to, even small favors. So far the first favor I was told to do was help a sister sorority with their philanthropy. Then we are told we have to be the DDs. I have heard some stuff here and am shocked what some people think is not hazing. Texas is making being hazed a felony, so I think everyone needs to rethink a lot of their stuff.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Rude awAKAning
It's like, a felony everywhere, I think.

But a lot of things are illegal and people do illegal stuff all the time. Drinking under the age of 21, running through a red light, turning over a double yellow line... clearly these are less dramatic than hazing, but my point is that making something a "felony" or "illegal" deters very few people.

It's only ILLEGAL if you get CAUGHT. At least, that's what I've been told.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Inspired Word
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis96 View Post
Me too, I never felt or thought I was hazed, but I had to vote that yes, my chapter hazed, because we were told that asking the new members to leave the room for voting and other things was a form of hazing. We were told that our schools policy on hazing was "singling out anyone who is not initated for any reason and seperating them". Therefore asking them to leave for ritual voting and having initated only meetings was a form of hazing on our campus. Granted, it didn't really change anything because we, and other chapters, still did it.
Wow, that's rough if that's what goes for hazing nowadays.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude awAKAning View Post
It's like, a felony everywhere, I think.

But a lot of things are illegal and people do illegal stuff all the time. Drinking under the age of 21, running through a red light, turning over a double yellow line... clearly these are less dramatic than hazing, but my point is that making something a "felony" or "illegal" deters very few people.

It's only ILLEGAL if you get CAUGHT. At least, that's what I've been told.
As your "tag goes", it will be.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:04 PM
AEcutiePhi

Looking at the poll it says 25.75% (right now) haze. This is pathetic.... Why would you even be interested in a sorority or fraternity if they hazed you? My sorority most definately didn't haze.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

hazing

My chapter does NOT haze at all. My new member semester has been one of the best memories of my sorority experience. I recieved so many gifts and they all made me feel welcome!
Old 04-22-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEcutiePhi View Post
Looking at the poll it says 25.75% (right now) haze. This is pathetic.... Why would you even be interested in a sorority or fraternity if they hazed you? My sorority most definately didn't haze.
It doesn't say anything about "right now," i.e. some people are answering with what THEY experienced....not what goes on now.

#1, there are really old alumni answering this poll who may have been hazed back before it was such a big to-do and/or back when it was more or less something you put up with.

#2, there are people who are answering it in the spirit of "my hq/college thinks it's hazing, but I think they're full of poo, because I had fun doing it." Things like scavenger hunts, etc.

So before you use a word like "pathetic" take that into consideration.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid_LadyXi_17 View Post
There are people who join organizations because of family history and such. And you could be hazed (by hazed I mean mentally and physically)joining any organization. There are traditions that every organization has kept over the years that can be called hazing. And we all know, if XYZ pledge class didn't do that tradition or didn't do half the stuff that your pledge class did then "they had it easy" . And most people know what they are getting into before they pledge especially if there is a family history. Its about the Legacy. This to me is not pathetic..its just what happens and if a person wants to go through with it then, thats them. There is no need to call them pathetic. They are proud of their organization and what they had to do to get there.
Also, like someone said earlier, there are several members on here who came in when hazing wasn't as taboo as it is now.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
It doesn't say anything about "right now," i.e. some people are answering with what THEY experienced....not what goes on now.

#1, there are really old alumni answering this poll who may have been hazed back before it was such a big to-do and/or back when it was more or less something you put up with.

#2, there are people who are answering it in the spirit of "my hq/college thinks it's hazing, but I think they're full of poo, because I had fun doing it." Things like scavenger hunts, etc.

The fella who wrote the question wrote the word "does" intending that people give an assessment of what their chapters are doing right now. That choice of wording was intentional.

I suppose I could go back and better phrase it though, I can see where folks might get the wrong idea.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-27-2008, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I suppose I could go back and better phrase it though, I can see where folks might get the wrong idea.
And of course you have to take into account the whole this-is-GreekChat factor. You could make it as clear as day that you are only asking about now, and within two pages someone would post "Well, I don't know about now, but we did in the day, so I said yes." And so it would go on.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
And of course you have to take into account the whole this-is-GreekChat factor. You could make it as clear as day that you are only asking about now, and within two pages someone would post "Well, I don't know about now, but we did in the day, so I said yes." And so it would go on.
I never held out any hope that the poll would be scientific.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-27-2008, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I figured it was about now, since the question is DOES, not DID . . . your chapter haze.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:28 PM
AEcutiePhi

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

Ok I worded my first reply wrong. I didn't mean the people joining to organizations were pathetic. I meant that the organizations that were doing the hazing were pathetic. In that that the majority of that 27.5% couldn't just be things like like your #2. In my mind even 1% is sad because it sheds such a bad light on all sororities and fraternities.