GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,653
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, athanttsoz9809
» Online Users: 1,541
0 members and 1,541 guests
No Members online

Old 06-23-2010, 12:06 AM

We had the issue of chapters telling PNMs to drop out of recruitment, wait until after Bid Day and go through informal at their chapters.

The GA started telling us that she was going to have PXs ask their PNMs where they heard that, and that chapter was going to get an infraction.

It sucked because there were girls who did listen, and often, those chapters took quota during formal and reached total so they couldn't even have informal that fall. So, girls who dropped out thinking they'd get picked up informally by XYZ were sorely mistaken.

Lakers Nation.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-23-2010, 01:28 AM
GreekChat Member

There used to be a chapter at my school who was non-pledging that actually used to try and initiate guys during their FRESHMAN ORIENTATION.

The first year they did it they ended up having about 10 guys at Freshman Camp trying to initiate other Freshman.

They were very open about the fact that they didn't care who they initiated. Their removal process was also very swift. They would often brag about how many guys they would initiate, collect dues from, and then remove afterwards (keeping their dues). They got HUGE, and always won intramurals, always got their brothers elected to SG, and always had giant events on campus.

If you're wondering...Yes, they did get what was coming to them eventually. All of the other Fraternities started working together in the IFC to create a few basic rules. Things like requiring Greek Life orientation before initiation, no bids for freshman/transfer students until bid day, and a full report to the National Office of an organization who violated ANY recruitment rule.

After a suspension from their National Office they were removed completely. Good riddance.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:55 AM
GreekChat Member

The only recruitment infraction I really knew of (infractions aren't really an issue at my school) was when I was a PNM...
Went through the whole recruitment week, got to Bid Day, the Rho Chis were revealing their affiliations, and I noticed my Rho Chi wasn't there...I asked around and found out that she spoke to her Little the night before (after pref was done and decisions were made) on the phone, just to say she couldn't wait to see her at Bid Day...my PX's roommate/sister wrote her a check, handed it to her, and said "I reported you for talking to your little but then I felt bad so here's the money to pay the fine"
I felt bad for her because she had been such a good Rho Chi (although I did guess her chapter on Day 2) but all she had to do was wait a few more hours...

Θ Φ Α

Old 06-23-2010, 06:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

Ugh. I actually meant the midnight of Bid Night.

Ex: if Bid Night is Sunday night, silence is over as of midnight Monday AM.

I guess that makes more sense. I was like, but... they have new members... that would be a very awkward party...

Thanks for helping me understand it better.

"Life is service. The one who progresses is the one who gives his fellow human beings a little more, a little better service." - E. M. Statler 1863 - 1928
Old 06-23-2010, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

My chapter had a crazy rivalry with another chapter on campus. There were so many recruitment infractions filed on both of us it was insane. The only time I was really taken seriously was if a Rho Gamma or another chapter filed one for the same thing.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

We have never had an PNM related infractions, but during the actual recruitment we have so many little rules that it's hard to go through the week without getting an infraction. If the party lasts say 45 minutes, all PNM's must be out and our front door shut within exactly 45 minutes...a few extra seconds and we get a violation. And if a sister puts a foot or even a toe past the threshold of the door while another sister has yet to get her PNM and turn around towards the house, we get a "face" violation for too many faces out of the house at once. It's so finicky. Girls definitely violate the no talking to PNM during recruitment rule, but they do it in private and its usually only best friends or biological sisters that they talk to, and they never try to convince them to join or tell them any private info or anything, its just casual conversation.

"Together Let Us Seek The Heights"

Last edited by purpleparrot; 06-23-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Our chapter was reported for an infraction for dirty rushing. Our campus was pretty stringent about only being able to say hello to PNMs. One sister had a PNM sit down next to her in an intro Engineering class the day of first rounds. The PNM just started talking up a storm to my sister, who politely said something along the lines of "I can't answer your question, as recruitment has started". An XYZ girl was also in the class and reported her for "extended conversation with a 'special interest' PNM"
Old 06-23-2010, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow NPC rush seems so cut throat, What happened to being panhellenic?
Old 06-23-2010, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Well, I think the goal of having infractions is to ensure that chapters ARE being Panhellenic. The problem is, some chapters/members of chapters use the infraction system of tattletailing and filling up GL offices and chapter officers of other chapters will needless paperwork/mediation/bullshit.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
When it's all about you making your quota/total and wanting the "best" girls for yourself it becomes a big huge tattle-fest. I think a lot of it is that you're pissed you can't talk to friends/go out to bars/spending all of your days at rush or rush prep, etc. Everyone's tired and bitchy so even the hint that someone else might be "cheating" is enough to go for it.
And this is true at rather friendly campuses where outside of recruitment the chapters get along well and support each others' philanthropies.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
A lot of the campi that adopted "no frills" really didn't want to do it and have used it as an excuse to fink on other chapters rather than embrace what it's really about - getting to know the rushees instead of concentrating on skits, decorations or food.

Drole is also spot on about if you're cooped up and doing nothing but rush for 4-7 days, with no outlet, it makes you super duper bitchy. We had rush spread over 1-2 weeks, no rules about not going out whatsoever and calls on infractions were few and far between. Being thought of as a fink was far more of a social faux pas than whatever you did in rush.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
"I can't answer your question, as recruitment has started"
How come campuses don't allow an explanation along with "hello"? Seems like it would be more natural for active to be allowed to remind PNMs why they can't talk.
________

Last edited by carnation; 08-02-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I have never understood if your national orgnization and your campus greek life office want sororities to promote greek life, then why are you not allowed to speak to freshman women prior to recruitment. It just seems counter-productive.

By not allowing the freshman women to get to know the sorority members in anyway, and limiting the sorority members to "Hi" it almost perpetuates the stereotype of sorority members being bitchy or elitest.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieXi View Post
I have never understood if your national orgnization and your campus greek life office want sororities to promote greek life, then why are you not allowed to speak to freshman women prior to recruitment. It just seems counter-productive.

By not allowing the freshman women to get to know the sorority members in anyway, and limiting the sorority members to "Hi" it almost perpetuates the stereotype of sorority members being bitchy or elitest.
But if you let them really "get to know" the freshmen then you've opened up the doors for a lot of dirty rushing. I agree that if it's a deferred rush a semester long silence is just silly, but for the first 2 weeks or so it's manageable. And we typically wore letters the WHOLE time so it was really obvious that we weren't just ignoring someone in class for kicks.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
But if you let them really "get to know" the freshmen then you've opened up the doors for a lot of dirty rushing. I agree that if it's a deferred rush a semester long silence is just silly, but for the first 2 weeks or so it's manageable. And we typically wore letters the WHOLE time so it was really obvious that we weren't just ignoring someone in class for kicks.
No, you haven't. The freshmen get to know the sorority women as normal people, not as some sort of superhuman being. That's the whole point. If sorority members don't go out and try to meet women on their own, that's their problem.

Are some people going to shitty things like promise bids? Probably. But I personally think the solution lies in educating the rushees - i.e. telling them that people who do that are bad people and should be taken with a grain of salt. If you can tell them that women aren't talking to them because of silence rules, and expect them to understand that, you can just as easily tell them what is and isn't dirty rushing and expect them to understand that as well.