GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,646
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, zalexitt5041
» Online Users: 1,603
0 members and 1,603 guests
No Members online

Old 09-11-2002, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NewGirl Send a message via Yahoo to NewGirl
im sorry! :(

hey there
im so sorry about your bf troubles.. you did the right thing.
While going through rush, the really good thing about being around all those women, you will forget about the boy for those many moments when u are surrounded by girls.
enjoy the experience. i hope things are gettingbetter.
lots of love and good wishes!!!
Love
Ashley
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-11-2002, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your ex troubles! Like others have mentioned, you can report him to the police if you want. PM me if you have any questions about that.

I can't wait to hear all about your rush! You sound like you have an amazing attitude even while dealing with all this crap, and I'm sure that you will do well in recruitment. Please keep us updated!!
Old 09-12-2002, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

AHHHHH I tried to post my thoughts about last night this morning, but my Net connection was down... so I am gonna post what I had written for the first night, and then add in tonight's stuff too!

__________________________________________________ _

Last night was the first night of recruitment... and I really learned a lot more about how the process works at my individual school. First, I was running late in getting ready and on the way there, I was really worried about how I looked... but that was definitely unnecessary! There were tons of girls in shorts and Tshirts... which was weird to me, but hey, I don't mind going a little more casual for this week

We were divided into 6 groups of 20 for the week. We made nametags (gahh I love making stuff ) and did an icebreaker activity. Then all the Rho Chis did a skit showing how Sorority Life on MTV is nothing like real sorority life (but we knew that already, right? ) We had a little question and answer period within our Rho Chi groups, and then we decided where to meet for the next day. Recruitment tomorrow TECHNICALLY starts at 6 but now I have to be there at 5:30... I am going to be pushing it for time like every single day UGH. We also went to the Panhellenic office which is where we will go to fill out our preference cards.

All in all, it was a good night and I am excited! I feel like everyone in my group was a little shy, and I'm hoping that we'll get to know each other better during the week. The Rho Chis also told me that 99% of girls who go all the way through end up getting bids. That really encouraged me... after hearing some of the scary stories on here about girls being cut, I am kinda glad that I can just focus on being myself and not have to stress out about being cut.

Tonight I am going at 5:30 to meet with my group, then at 6 I start with the parties (30 minutes each with 15 minute breaks in between). Because our sororities don't have houses, the parties are in different meeting rooms throughout campus. I wish that we could have a chance to go into the special sorority dorm and see the rooms and the way that they are decorated. I live off campus in an apartment but I want to be SURE that I want to move onto the hall before I break my lease... maybe something to ask my Rho Chi about.
__________________________________________________ _

Tonight was the first night of parties... I guess I should do it like everyone else and keep which group is which a secret!

Group #1: This chapter was completely different from what I expected. The girls seemed nice but just not right to me... almost like they had specific answers to my questions that they were "supposed" to give. Also, when I asked about living off campus instead of on their hall, she told me there were no exceptions, which automatically crosses this group off my list. That's a shame because their colors are so cute and their song tonight was adorable!

Group #2: This house was different from the others in the respect that I spent the entire time with one sister. That was OK because she was nice and very informative. She was really talkative and I feel like I learned the most about their sorority than all the others, but I don't have a broad picture of what their members are like. I am trying to keep an open mind about this, but a lot of the girls in my group didn't like this sorority at all, and their reputation on campus is not exactly sparkling. I don't want to make snap judgements though because what if I end up loving them by the end of the week?

Group #3: I have so many mixed emotions about this chapter. On one hand, every girl I talked to was amazingly sweet AND interesting, they have the highest all-sorority GPA, their songs were awesome and they made me laugh and smile. On the other hand, it makes me think that maybe they just rush well, because everyone else adored them. I will have to wait and see whether I end up clicking with them.

Group #4: These girls didn't impress me very much. They didn't have matching shirts... they just all wore their letters in whatever colors. I know superficial stuff like that shouldn't really matter, but I don't think it was really putting their best foot forward on the first party round of recruitment. The girls I talked to were more nervous than I was, and I felt like I was having to ask them questions that I didn't want to know the answer to just so we'd have something to talk about. One good thing I noticed about this sorority was that they were very diverse, lots of different "types" and looks and interests.

Group #5: AHHHHH I love this group! I am really really afraid about getting my hopes up and then these girls not wanting me. The first sister I talked to was a girl in my Human Sexuality group, and even though we didn't talk about the class for long, it was nice to see a familiar face. Every single girl I met was interesting, confident, and sweet. They did "Summer Nights" from Grease as one of their songs, and it really impressed me.

I feel bad about being so judgemental about each group the first night, because I really want to go where my heart leads me. All of the sororities are really trying to hype living on the hall, and that gave me serious doubts. It is NOT that I don't want to live with my sisters, or that I just don't wanna go back to the dorm. I have
1. A two year lease on my apartment.
2. A queensize bed, a couch, a coffee table, bar stools... where do all those things GO if you move back into a dorm?

Groups 1-3 told me that you HAD to live there, and Group 3 requires THREE semesters of it. Groups 4 and 5 told me that they preferred it, but of course they do make exceptions. I am hoping maybe 1, 2, and 3 were just trying to reinforce the hall idea, and they might work with me more.

Anyway, that was my first party round... I think it went well, I had a lot of fun, and I am really excited to go back tomorrow
__________________________________________________ __

Sorry for the REALLY REALLY long update haha.
Old 09-12-2002, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Good to hear your thoughts about each party. I can definately see how the living on the hall thing is important to you b/c its so hard to go from an apartment to a dorm in terms of space and privacy. Its an awesome experience from what I understand but I do completely see your point. I am glad to know that you are trying to keep an open mind b/c I know that was hard for me during RUSH but it helps so much! Good luck with second round and let us know your thoughts about them!
Old 09-12-2002, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

CarolinaCutie,
Thank you for such a thorough post...it feels like I'm going through rush with you! Great writing.
I think you're doing a great job of keeping your mind and heart open to women who may one day be your sisters.
Good luck with your next round...and keep posting.
violets
Old 09-12-2002, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Hrm... I am overall confused. I went to sign a piece of paper today in the Panhellenic office, which I had THOUGHT was just verifying drops for grades. But when I got there, I had already been cut from two. It just caught me off guard because I thought that didn't happen until tomorrow.

I got cut from Groups 4 and 5. 5 was my favorite so I am disappointed. I like Group 3 and Group 1, so I am gonna go back tonight, but I'm having serious doubts about this whole thing (which don't really stem from me getting cut). I just want to live in my OWN house and be in a sorority... there is no other option. Tonight is Philanthropy and Financial Night, so they will be much more specific about requiring to live on the hall. I'm not 100% dead set on being in a sorority... so I'm not gonna be in a group I don't feel right with just to be Greek.

Either way, I AM still excited about going tonight and seeing if maybe I find a deeper connection with one of the chapters. I'll try to post tonight when I get back
Old 09-12-2002, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry about you getting cut from houses 4 & 5, especially because you really seemed to have a connection with 5.

However, you have a great attitude about rush & I wish you all the best during the next round!!!
Old 09-12-2002, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry to hear you got cut from those two but Im glad to hear you still have a positive attitude. Good luck with round two and let us know how everything goes!
Old 09-12-2002, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

CarolinaCutie:
I believe that things happen for a reason, please continue with recruitment and give groups 1 & 3 an opportunity to show you their sisterhoods.
I'm sure this will all work out well,
violets
Old 09-12-2002, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kayla_adpi
CarolinaCutie,

during formal recruitments and open recruitments we have had girls on campus be concerned with the same thing you are. i know that you are unsure on whether or not a sorority will accept you with you being higher in status at school. but i think you should go for it. sororities shouldn't be looking for somebody who is an underclassman they should be looking for someone who is an upstanding individual, somebody that has great qualities who seems like they would be a great person to get involved in their sorority. i think it is great that you are wanting to get involved and try to get into a sorority. i can tell you our chapter has accepted many women who were juniors and some even seniors. so the best advice i can give you is to go for it!!! i'm sure the outcome will be a good one...keep us posted and g'luck!!!

kayla
Old 09-12-2002, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Once again, tonight was confusing to me. I am beginning to think that maybe I am just not "meant to be" rushing this week.

It was really hard for me because NO ONE else in my group got dropped from Group 5, the first house. So basically I just got to hang out with my Rho Chis (who are nice but it was still awkward and unfun).

Then we went to Group 1, who are now definitely my favorite. They seemed a lot more laidback tonight, and I really like their philanthropy. We made the cutest craft! Every girl I met, I asked them, why did you pick XYZ?... and every single answer was awesome. They were all different but equally touching.

Next we went to our financial meeting, which was worked in as a separate party with the financial advisors from each chapter. I don't know what happened to our group but everyone was completely BLAH... maybe we just didn't have any questions to ask? All of the fees are around the same but OF COURSE the chapter I like the best does not include formals and semi-formals in their chapter dues... MORE money to spend lol.

After that, we were SUPPOSED to be at Group 2's party, but we stood outside the wrong building (I don't know why, the Rho Chis got confused maybe?) and then had to RUN across campus to the right party. This party... I just don't like these girls. I can't put my finger on what it is about them, but I REALLY REALLY don't like staying with one girl the whole time. All the other chapters, I have met at least 5 girls, and from this one, I've talked to two... and I don't really know if they are a correct representation of the whole group, you know? Plus they sang Garth Brooks' "The River" while we all held hands but they sang the WHOLE song, every verse. It just got old. PLUS their philanthropy isn't local, so all they do is raise money... they don't get to actually do any community service. Haha can you tell I don't like this group? I think they will invite me back though...

Next we went back to Group 3. I really like this group but I am almost positive that they are not gonna invite me back. They are smart, they are sweet, they have an awesome philanthropy... but they require three semesters' residence on their hall, and the girl told me that they only make exceptions in EXTREME circumstances (which does not include leases). She told me as I was walking out the door, "If you want it bad enough, you'll make it happen." Which is probably true but I am thinking that maybe I don't want it bad enough to give up my stove, private bathroom, and big-girl bed. SOOOOO I doubt they are gonna invite me.

The last group was Group 4, the other group I got cut from... and I must say that I was happy to be able to leave early! I am so tired.

So that's my situation... I am starting to doubt that sorority life is really for me. I am pretty much thinking that if I get dropped from Group 1, I am not gonna go back tomorrow night. I really wanted to be in a sorority, but I think I am too late in my college years to be doing this... I like my apartment. But then again, I REALLY like Group 1, and I would be so happy to be a sister there. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated WHATEVER I decide to do
Old 09-13-2002, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

follow your heart...

big girl beds are nice...but you are ultimately the one to make the call.
good luck and keep smiling.
lol
Old 09-13-2002, 12:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shark_in_Skirt Send a message via Yahoo to Shark_in_Skirt
Cutie,

I'm sorry that you got cut from your first choice, but perhaps that was meant to be? Maybe you really belong in one of the GLOs that you did get invited back to.

The best of luck to you, and I hope you'll keep an open mind, even though I know you must be disappointed to have been cut!

XOXO,
Annie.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Ahhhhh how can my thoughts change so completely in just a few short minutes? I swear, this whole rush thing has got to be one of the biggest emotional rollercoaster times in my life!

Yesterday, I was having serious doubts about what I wanted to do... and I'm still not 100% sure, but I had a GREAT night tonight.

I went back to the same three groups as last night, because I didn't get dropped from any of those. I did not feel as bad about getting cut on the first night, because there were plenty of girls in my Rho Chi group that only got invited back to two tonight.

First I went to Group 2's party, and my opinion of them definitely improved. Tonight was skit night and their theme was "XYZ on Broadway". It was SOOO cute! I got to actually SEE and MEET a lot more of the sisters, and my earlier judgements proved to be falsely based on the people I had met before. I met a couple of girls in my major, and we spent a good chunk of time talking about that. It was also cool to be able to talk about NON-Greek stuff... just school and family and random stuff.

Next I went to Group 3... they didn't cut me like I thought they would! Their theme was "Planet ABC" and their entire room was decorated with movie posters and stars. As always, these girls seem really put-together, smart and classy and fun. I felt like all of the girls that I talked to last night remembered my face and name, and made sure to stop by and say hey. Everyone I have met here was really nice and I think they are a really impressive bunch. But... I still haven't changed my mind about living on their hall. I really like them but I feel like I am torturing myself, loving a group that I can't be in.

Finally I went to Group 1.... and I absolutely adore these girls! Not only did I talk to a few more new members, I got to chat with a lot of the girls I had talked to before, and I really feel like I click with them. Their skit was a conglomeration of popular TV programs (Friends, The Weakest Link, Golden Girls, MTV Diary, CMT) and it was not only cute, but informative. The girl who did the MTV Diary was talking about all her memories of the sorority (she's a senior now) and it was so touching. Then they sang a really sweet song and at least a couple of the girls were crying and it just made me tear up. These girls are known for being ladies around campus, and I feel like they have really shown me their close bond with each other... even BEFORE pref night.

I had a really great evening tonight, and I am looking forward to Preference Night tomorrow... I know Group 1 is my first choice, but I will have to think about whether I'm gonna go ahead and go to 3's party, or go to Group 2 instead. I guess that just depends on if I get cut from any

As always, I'll keep ya updated!
Old 09-14-2002, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

CC
Well, I am glad you are having fun! As far as Group 3 is concerned, it sounds like you really like them. And if you specifically spoke to a girl regarding your concerns with living on their hall, and they still invited you back, then they really like you, too. I know you really like #1, so maybe all will work out with them and you won't have to worry. But should you end up with #3 on your Bid Card, I think you should give it a try - you never know what could happen! Either way, you sound like a smart girl with a great head on your shoulders. I'm sure you will do what is right for you!!! Good luck!