GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,700
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, bradauasd4780
» Online Users: 929
1 members and 928 guests
No Members online

Old 06-13-2006, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini
Sororities and extra-cirricular activities a great and should be enjoyed. But one must never lose sight of the real reason they are going to school and that is to get a good education.
Seriously. People lose sight of this in this forum and elsewhere on GC. If you're in too much and your grades are low, you need to cut down on the activities.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:14 PM

ucfpnm,

We don't aim to discourage you, and I'm sorry if we did. We just like to be as honest as possible here. Trust me, it would suck alot worse going into rush thinking that GPA wasn't a factor, being cut heavily, and left wondering why. We don't like to misinform people here, and we'd be lying if we said your GPA wouldn't affect your rush experience.

With that said, you know now that your GPA isn't going to be one of your strong points. So work hard on other factors to make them stand out. Let the chips fall where they may. Do stick around on GC and share your experience. Best of luck.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 06-13-2006 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Your GPA is going to result in some big cuts in the first rounds, but if you've been active in SGA, that's going to help you out quite a bit. I can't give you a 100% guarantee, but with your GPA at just below a 3.0 and your campus involvement and provided that you don't have a reputation as the girl who passes out the Pub (does anyone still go to the Pub???) every Tuesday night, your name will be one of interest and so long a you keep an open mind, UCF will make every effort to place you on Bid Day.

One place where upperclassmen have a competitive advantage over freshmen at UCF is by holding significant CAB and SGA offices, being Miss UCF or another pageant title, and being a member of O-Team, Gold Team, Diamond Girls or Dance Marathon Exec. Quit worrying and just focus on being yourself and having fun. There are a few sororities with a very high minimum, but that's just a small number out of 11.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I'd also like to point out that your grades aren't horrible. They aren't superb, but they're okay. I know at my chapter our grade cut was a 2.5; anyone below that got cut immediately no questions asked. The ONLY exception was a legacy who always got a courtesy invite to second round. So, just because you're a 2.8 doesn't mean you WILL get cut immediately, it's just a maybe.

So my advice to you is to just take a deep breath and relax. If you are tense and nervous when you go into the parties it will show and you might come off as weird/freaky/annoying/aloof/stuck-up, etc. - all of which will get you cut way before your grades!

DISCLAIMER: I did NOT attend UCF so I am NOT representing the Chi O chapter there with my post!

Last edited by xo_kathy; 06-14-2006 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfpnm
I even specially arranged my school schedule, taking easy and online courses, so that I would be able to heavily concentrate on school about two days a week and then have more time to spend on the extracurriculars I'm planning.

Alright, I'm going to go ahead and say it. This is ridiculous! If you're taking easy classes because you need a GPA boost then that's a little bit better, but your extracurriculars are exactly that - EXTRA. I understand college is about freedom and having fun, but your first priority there is still to get an education. I have a feeling that mommy and daddy are financing the experience, right?
Old 06-14-2006, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog
I have a feeling that mommy and daddy are financing the experience, right?
AlphaFrog,
I agree with your other point that school is the first priority and should not be planned around extra activities. However, I think the last line is a bit much. I was fortunate enough to have my parents pay for my education (and my dues for that matter), and I never treated my studies with a flippant attitude.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kathy
AlphaFrog,
I agree with your other point that school is the first priority and should not be planned around extra activities. However, I think the last line is a bit much. I was fortunate enough to have my parents pay for my education (and my dues for that matter), and I never treated my studies with a flippant attitude.

My parents paid for a lot (but not all) of my education. My point was that I doubt someone who's putting themselves through college is going to worry more about their extras then their classes. You're reading the statement backwards. I'm not saying that all people who's parents pay for college =
"flippant" attitude towards class. I'm saying that people who pay their own way (generally) = more serious about education and less concerned with extras.

Last edited by AlphaFrog; 06-14-2006 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My parents paid for a lot (but not all) of my education. My point was that I dobut someone who's putting themselves through college is going to worry more about their extras then their classes. You're reading the statement backwards. I'm not saying that all people who's parents pay for college =
"flippant" attitude towards class. I'm saying that people who pay their own way (generally) = more serious about education and less concerned with extras.
I agree with this. If you pay for college yourself, you generally are more likely to be more serious about it, because you know what you have to do to maintain GPA for scholarships and loans and stuff like that.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

With all due respect, the way someone chooses her classes is none of our business. And while I would agree that taking more challenging coursework and making school the number one priority should be the number one priority, whether or not your college is paid for by scholarships or family members has little to do with how a student selects her courseload. Just as there are self-supporting students taking a serious approach and daddy's girls playing their way through classes like Beginner's Tennis, I can think of plenty of self-supporting students who took a flip attitude toward school and plenty of daddy's girls working their tails off to make the Dean's List.

Note to all college students: you have to graduate sometime. And then you'll have to work. Make those college years count--get internships and hold meaningful leadership roles in extracurrculars-- but manage your time wisely and maturely. And if there is even the slightest idea that you may someday not be in the same career that you're intending to today (HINT: the average person changes careers 7 times over his lifetime), then supplement your coursework with challenging electives. You don't have to take Calc II, but opt for a class in Statistics over Country Line Dancing. Graduate programs will take you more seriously if you have diverse liberal arts courses showing off your analytical skills. The soft stuff comes through in your choice of 1-3 extracurriculars and volunteer work.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfpnm
I even specially arranged my school schedule, taking easy and online courses, so that I would be able to heavily concentrate on school about two days a week and then have more time to spend on the extracurriculars I'm planning.
Your first priority should be school, not rearranging your schedule so you can have more fun....

The above statement you made does not help your case at all.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf
With all due respect, the way someone chooses her classes is none of our business. And while I would agree that taking more challenging coursework and making school the number one priority should be the number one priority,
It is our business when she is posting about GPA requirements and how they will affect her ability to have a successful rush. It gives insight as to priorities and such.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

As long as you understand that your post read that you were taking "History of Polka-Dots" so you could join Elle and the gang down at the Delta Nu house, you get what I'm saying.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
As long as you understand that your post read that you were taking "History of Polka-Dots" so you could join Elle and the gang down at the Delta Nu house, you get what I'm saying.
*pokes alphafrog* Shh, you're being mean still.

I know many people who rearranged their lives around extracirriculars, especially SGA etc. She'll still have times when classes interfere with sorority events but believe me, if I could have given myself 3 days off, I would have. I settled for Fridays off.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Didn't Elle end up getting into and graduating from Harvard Law?
Old 06-14-2006, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven
Didn't Elle end up getting into and graduating from Harvard Law?
Yep. And for all the silly girliness.. her sisters helped her when she needed them. Studying for the LSATs and such...