GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,610
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, banntjnry576
» Online Users: 1,144
2 members and 1,142 guests
banntjnry576, nataliecavsoz41

Old 08-22-2012, 09:38 PM

Been there done that. Here is the thread from last year.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ght=thetartots

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
I don't like the term recruitment
I don't like the term new member
I don't like hand signs
I don't like the baby trend
I still call my friends "girls" and I graduated from college a long time ago. The term "woman/women" isn't my style - it's uptight and old-fashioned and reminds me of large clothing.
I loved being a pledge.
AMEN.

As nice as some of the terms are that have been created, having different things for every group is impractical. Yeah, ASA can decide that we want to call our pledges pearls, and I do like it as these terms go, and there is a great meaning and good reasoning behind it, but the thing is, why should we obligate anyone else to have to know that? Can you imagine trying to use the "correct" terms for every group at a 16-or 17-sorority campus? It's ridiculous. Sigma Chi (to use the first example that comes to my mind) has some terms for their chapter offices that aren't "normal" but I have never heard any of them get offended that I called them the "president" instead of the "consul." "Babies" more than likely sprang up as a generic term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
Pledge is what she does. I want her to remember she took a pledge to our organization, and that the pledge means something. In my mind, a member has been initiated, so "new member" doesn't convey the precise meaning.
Exactly. You're not a member until you're initiated. If you were a member before that, how could you quit pledging one group and pledge another a year later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieXi View Post
Only out of curiosity, why did the NPC change the terms? (Rush to recruitment, Rushee to PNM, etc)?
It was the 1990s and people were effing stupid. They thought it would eradicate hazing and negative Greek image. You see how well that worked. The stupidest thing is that none of the terms are grammatically correct. Women who go through formal rush (particularly at a school where just getting ANY bid is difficult) are not being "recruited" (ask anyone who's dealt with a military recruiter). Every woman on a campus who isn't Greek is a "potential new member" - not just those who are rushing.

The fact that 18 year olds who have never been cognizant when the "old" terms were used, still use them, just shows that this attempt has been a spectacular failure, and everyone just needs to go back to using "rush" and "pledge" and get over themselves.

Last edited by 33girl; 08-22-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-22-2012, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-o_cat View Post
I wonder if the writer of this blog, a Theta, saw the Twitter posts saying "Baby kittens- run to your litter box!" from a Theta collegiate member on bid day.
My girls would get a phone call over this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
I love it!
(Do chapters really give New Members baby bottles and rattles?!? )
I WOULD BE LIVID as an advisor, and insulted as a new member.

Quote:
I agree that this is a great blog and the term "baby" should not be used to refer to or describe new members of any organization. I know that the term "baby" came about when I was a junior (gah! 13 years ago!). It was the year that Rush became recruitment, Rushees became Potential New Members and Pledges became New Members. Campus panhellenic had decreed that we were to use all the new terms and added that we were not allowed to call the new members, or even the PNMs "Girls" or even "new girls" or "Ladies" because it was derogatory (I'm not sure how Ladies was derogatory, but it was on the list of words that we could no longer use). However, the word Baby was not on the list.

So the sororities who had names for their new members - Phis for Phi Mu, Rosebuds for AOPi, continued on with their tradition. Since the rest of the orgs on campus didn't have names for their new members and could essentially only call them mouthful "new members", and a year before called them pledges, adopted new names for the them. Zeta had "Zeta Babies", AXiD had "Little Xis", Sigma Kappa had "Kappa Kuties", etc. I don't know when all of them changed over to "Babies", but eventually they did. But I think a lot of this Baby calling came out of the fact that they could no longer be called "Pledges" and "New Members" is a mouthful and boring if you compare it to the groups that have names for their new members.

IMO, Pledges is far less derogatory than Babies.
Yep, the change happened when I was an active as well. Annoying to be scolded for saying "pledges."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Agreed. I've said this previously: every org should come up with a respectful name for its new members and use that uniformly. Officially, I only know of the two you mention above and Alphas for ADPi, and while I'm sure there are others, some don't have anything, and nobody is going to say "new member".

Incidentally, the writers of this and the other article on this topic come from Theta and APhi, two groups that don't have a name for the NM's, AFAIK, so I'll take the giant liberty of suggesting some: "stars" for Theta, and "ivies" for APhi. They get harder from there: AGD..."ferns"?
I think calling our new girls "Stars/Little Stars" is a great idea, I've talked about it before with others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVol View Post
Count me in as another who cringes at the "baby talk". In a related mode, I also cannot abide by the cat connection with Theta. We are kites, we are ΚΑΘ, not KAT. That would be Kappa Alpha Tau. I'm not a kitty cat, I'm a Theta.
I bugs me, but not to the point that I'm super passionate about it. The skit that hooked me during my own rush was a Theta "Cats" skit with songs. Hearing my future mentor sing "Memories" made me nearly cry! We never had a huge cat connection other than that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always AlphaGam View Post
Baby Squirrels just creep me out.
I would also be weirded out by baby squirrels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
Yes, Tri Delta pledges have always been called Pearls. It is part of our ritual and symbolism.

I agree the baby stuff has to go. And I sincerely hope Theta also gets on top of the finger on the mouth thing because it is just gross looking.
I will take the finger over the mouth over "Theta Baby" any day of the week. It's meant to be funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
No big deal to me.... I know that it is also the ASL sign for vagina. Doesn't bother me.
Doesn't bother me either. I'm fine with this hand sign, the 2-sister arm sign, and the single person crossed arm sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

The fact that 18 year olds who have never been cognizant when the "old" terms were used, still use them, just shows that this attempt has been a spectacular failure, and everyone just needs to go back to using "rush" and "pledge" and get over themselves.
Agreed
Old 08-22-2012, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I agree.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You are so right. My daughter and her whole chapter, as well as pretty much the entire Greek community at her school, say "rush" and "pledge". Just give it up already. It wasn't broke!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
My girls would get a phone call over this.
I'm sure the girl that tweeted about the litter box has already been counseled.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:48 PM

Criticizing someone for their unsophisticated language in something called a "tweet" = irony.

(Not directed at you in particular MP, just that the terms associated with Twittter have not gotten any less silly to me.)
Old 08-23-2012, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It was the 1990s and people were effing stupid. They thought it would eradicate hazing and negative Greek image. You see how well that worked. The stupidest thing is that none of the terms are grammatically correct. Women who go through formal rush (particularly at a school where just getting ANY bid is difficult) are not being "recruited" (ask anyone who's dealt with a military recruiter). Every woman on a campus who isn't Greek is a "potential new member" - not just those who are rushing.

This really made me laugh because it is all so true! 33girl, I wish there were an NPC newspaper or some such venue for you to write an op-ed on this topic.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I will have to look and see what Gamma Phi chapters are calling their pledges - "new moons"? Hmmmmm . . . count me in for Team Pledge.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

I thought of this thread just now...Chi Omega posted some Bid Day pictures from various chapters on FB, and one of them had a big banner that had a picture of the Olympic ring logo, and said "You're Gold to Us, Baby Hooties."
Old 08-23-2012, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-o_cat View Post
I thought of this thread just now...Chi Omega posted some Bid Day pictures from various chapters on FB, and one of them had a big banner that had a picture of the Olympic ring logo, and said "You're Gold to Us, Baby Hooties."
Trust me, that does not mean that HQ likes the term.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
Trust me, that does not mean that HQ likes the term.
But if it's on HQ's page, I guarantee you that lots of people would see that as implicit approval, and not without reason.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

So it sounds like the national sorority offices don't like the term babies and the connotations that are going along with it. Why don't they individually or the NPC do something about it now - much like when they erradicated the previous terms.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
So it sounds like the national sorority offices don't like the term babies and the connotations that are going along with it. Why don't they individually or the NPC do something about it now - much like when they erradicated the previous terms.
Because that would involve admitting that they made a really stupid mistake when they tried to jettison "rush" and "pledge" to begin with.

You can't really do anything about campus traditions or popular opinion/word usage. There are certain nicknames national HQs don't like, but on some campi, you can yell "proper nickname" till you're blue in the face and use it on every t-shirt and written communication, and everyone is still going to call you "nickname HQ hates" for forever. The bigger of a deal you make about it, the more of a douche you look like. Which no one wants.

I also think that the "baby" thing is something peculiar to this generation. When 22 year old girls are running around in Hello Kitty and Disney t-shirts without a smidge of irony, it's going to be a little different than the girls who came before. My class would have rather been called "bags" than "babies" any day.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
But if it's on HQ's page, I guarantee you that lots of people would see that as implicit approval, and not without reason.
Thank you for that, MysticCat. I will have it removed.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I also think that the "baby" thing is something peculiar to this generation. When 22 year old girls are running around in Hello Kitty and Disney t-shirts without a smidge of irony, it's going to be a little different than the girls who came before. My class would have rather been called "bags" than "babies" any day.
By George! I think you're on to something. It's a Millenial thing.