GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,648
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, veleypitt5000
» Online Users: 1,647
1 members and 1,646 guests
No Members online

Old 01-27-2002, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

My freshman year you had to wait a year from the time that you depledged. What are the NPC rules?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-28-2002, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

"A woman who has had her pledge broken by an NPC fraternity, or who has broken her pledge to an NPC fraternity, may not be asked to join another NPC fraternity on the campus for one calendar year from the date she was originally pledged. However, she may be repledged by the same NPC graternity chapter at any time within that calendar year."
Old 06-15-2002, 12:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to MUPhiMuKHap
Angry Arrgh

At my school Panhel tries to act all strict and enforce this rule of waiting a year before you can rush again, sign another bid card, etc. Funny thing is, no one ever follows this rule. A girl pledged my house, dropped out a few months later and pledged a different house like two weeks after she left my house. I was really curious as to why this could happen so I asked our Panhel rep and she told me that in our Greek Life office, they keep everyone's bid cards. They try to play it off like they have them all organized and everything. Nope! They are pretty much just thrown in to a big pile on the floor....I kid you not. How ridiculous is that? They are just organized in alphabetical stacks, but other than that, there's no real order at all! So then, if someone signs a bid card, and then signs another one at a different sorority, they'll never have any idea, since there are thousands of students on my campus who are Greek. They just shove it in the the alphabet pile it belongs in, and move on! Hmmph....I think someone needs to get to organizing that room!
Old 06-15-2002, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, my take on the original question is yes, i think lessening the time to one semester, or four months would be acceptable for someone who has signed her pref card but does not want to sign her bid card. (is that right?....no formal rush at my school) Since it seems that many women are still misled, or just don't know, that they don't have to put 3 choices or that they can drop out.

However, it should remain a year for a woman who depledges. ie signs her bid card to become a new member then disassociates.

writing to your NPC delegate would prolly be the best way to get them to look at this.
Old 06-16-2002, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Most greek advisors will allow a woman who declined a bid/resigned her plegeship to rush during the next calendar year. So if they don't accept in Sept they can go thru formal next August.
Old 06-28-2002, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
I wholeheartedly agree with the rule that a woman should not be allowed to COB a group if she suicides and does not receive a bid. There's a girl at my school who suicided another chapter and went to every COB this chapter had. They still did not bid her, yet she kept coming and coming. Meanwhile she has many friends in my chapter and we'd love to get to know her better. She still thinks that she has a chance to join this group she suicided. Furthermore, the sad thing is that members of this chapter have told everyone but her that they don't like or want her. If she were not allowed to COB them, perhaps she would open up her eyes to see the other two sororities on campus.

I also did not know about releasing. I assume that this only applies to women who do not accept bids, not to those who depledge? There are another two girls on my campus who declined bids from this same chapter and are now waiting the year to come join us. If this option were available... hmm. There are countless others who have lost interest in GLO's as a whole. If you depledge, however, I think you should have to wait the year. It's rather fickle to switch so quickly and if a woman wanted to do that and come join us, I would question her loyalty. That said, I think we have to agree that the bid matching system is not infallible and that a woman, given the night to think on it, might make a different decision in the morning.

I was unaware that campus panhellenic was allowed to pick and choose which green book rules it follows. I know that my campus does not follow all of them, and it irritates me to no end. I really think that NPC does a good job of keeping rush fair, and there's no reason to decide whether or not you're going to follow something, especially the unanimous agreements.

[Scheming to get my hands on a Green Book...]
Old 06-28-2002, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Originally posted by KappaKittyCat

[Scheming to get my hands on a Green Book...]
If you want, you can order one from NPC. Go to the NPC web site ( http://www.npcwomen.org/ecommerce/online_form.htm) and get the order form.

Last edited by AZ-AlphaXi; 07-29-2002 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-29-2002, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I know I am a little late to this discussion, but....

When I went through rush, I knew a girl who put one sorority as her first choice and then my sorority as her second choice. She went to bid day and spent the entire day CRYING. She did not participate in any of the activities they were having. She basically sat in a room while sisters tried to console her and help her feel that her decision was the right one. She told them that she was going to depledge because she was that unhappy. They recognized how unhappy she was and called panhel, the greek advisor, and my chapter's president (bc she said that she wanted to be Phi Mu) and released her from her bid. She came to our house the very next day to join our class and was happy as a clam! I guess my house had done the same in the past for someone else who wanted to join their sorority. I think it was really great for them to realize that she wasn't happy. They could have been really "bi***y and made her wait another year. By that time, I am sure she wouldn't have wanted to be greek (we have sophomore deferrment, so she would have been a junior).
Old 07-29-2002, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SaraKT
Unhappy

.I rushed last year, some of you may remember me. I was dropped by my "dream house" after theme night. I only preffed one house and my PX and I had a very long talk about whether or not I should sign my bid card or just withdraw. I decided to give the house a chance and signed my card. The sorority I preffed did give me a bid. I only lasted about 2 weeks in the chapter, I never even pledged. Some of the sisters, not all of them, weren't very welcoming. I was literally left out and left behind from many activities. I talked to the New Member Educator on several occasions during the time I was in the chapter. I was released from the chapter and wanted to go for the house I originally wanted. The sisters from that house were shocked when I didn't show up for Pref night because they thought I was invited back. I have waited an entire year and I plan to rush that sorority during COB. I have kept in touch with those sisters and have made even more friends in that chapter because of them. I knew where I belonged, but as they say hindsight is 20/20

Last edited by SaraKT; 07-29-2002 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I don't think it's really "legal" to pick and choose what rules from the Green Book you should be following. If you have more than 2 NPC sororities on your campus and have a college panhellenic, you should be following the Green Book. Also, if you're a collegiate chapter that doesn't have a Green Book, I would advise contacting your national or international HQs immediately and acquiring one If you're in Canada, I think it's a different color though
Old 07-30-2002, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Oh, we have a Green Book. However, there are some parts of it that we seem to *overlook* from time to time. I'm not on Panhel (I spent 6 weeks as Kappa's rep and ran screaming as soon as I could get out) and I don't really want to interfere, but our bylaws & standing rules need a major overhaul. Fortunately, I think we're going to be getting an NPC consulting team in this fall, so they'll be able to help us with tiny little issues like that. I'd like to have a Green Book myself, just so I can refer to it. Think I'll order one. Thanks for that link.
Old 07-30-2002, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

What is dirty rush?