GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,643
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, zaashleypitoz20
» Online Users: 927
0 members and 927 guests
No Members online

Old 02-02-2003, 02:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up YOU GO, MTSUGIRL........

........you go thru rush and that's an order
Seriously, I hope you are just kidding about not going thru rush because of what's been said on GC about the South and sororities...
Old 02-02-2003, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm kidding - mostly.
It does make me kind of question things, though. 400 girls went through rush this year, my roommate included. We have 7 NPC sororities. She had an open mind, a 3.8, is a 20 year old junior from a wealthy family, cute as a button, sweet as she can be, brilliant and talented, tons of activities, and she's still independent. She was cut from everything.
Reading threads like this and other ones that say things like "You need about 10 recs for each group" (exxaggeration, I realize) can be extremely daunting. Especially when you think about going in as an upperclassman at a school that I've been told doesn't have quota additions for juniors and seniors. (Even if you happen to be a brilliantly funny, intelligent, mature, talented, gift from God like myself. )

I plan on going through rush - it was one thing I was determined to do when I came back to school. Your orders will be followed Ma'am!

Crystal
Old 02-02-2003, 02:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Good plan Crystal!

I am glad to hear that you WILL do rush after all! But I sure am sad to hear what happened to your roommate -- that is really awful! How is she doing now?
Please keep us posted when you do go thru rush yourself -- you know we will all be thinking good thoughts for you!
Old 02-02-2003, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

To MTSUGURL: Go through rush only if you can laugh it off later. Just so you know.... upper classmen have a hard time in rush. The groups rather pledge someone who can give them 4 years. If you are a campus celebrity like a cheerleader you will be fine. Don't take it personally. In some traditionally Southern groups the cut list for the first day and some of the pledge list is already made before recruitment starts. Do it... but don't let it bother you if you don't get the houses you want.
Old 02-02-2003, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Floridagirl. I appreciate the honesty. Fortunately, I know that my choices are limited because of my age/class standing. (BTW, my university is more than half nontraditional - over 22 yrs old - students.) I know almost 100% going in of 3 groups that will automatically cut me - I've only ever seen them bid freshmen. One of these groups, I would love to be a part of, but I wouldn't be crushed if I weren't. Thankfully, I'm not an 18 year old girl who expects the top house on campus to automatically bid me 'cause I'm just so darn nice. Most defitely not a campus celebrity.

Crystal
Old 02-03-2003, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
Well, you can't generalize. The "right" sorority, country club, etc.--all this is important to some people and not to others. As far as sororities go, pledging one of the "best" groups is immensely important to some. And people tend to know the strength of the chapters at each campus so in some circles, so you couldn't get away with pledging a weaker chapter of a strong sorority...those in the know would say, "Sure, she's an ABC but it was only the Auburn chapter." But...I think most of the people it matters to would rather be in a weaker chapter of a strong sorority than in a less prestigious sorority on a big campus. After all, you'll still get to be in a more prestigious alum club later on.

Also, at many schools you just have one chance to make it into those "sororities of choice"...upperclassmen have a poor chance of being chosen. Crummy, but true.

This isn't just Southern though...often I read articles about how parents in the Northeast obsess to get their kids in the right preschool which will lead to the best prep schools which will get them into the chosen Ivies. The articles would have you believe that all northeasterners are like that, which of course they aren't.
I read an article about applying to high school in New York City. It was pretty accurate from what I recall. I think that it was in New York Magazine. Not everyone in NY is obsessed, but getting into the "right school" is something in which thousands of parents and students invest dozens of hours and tons of money.

Last edited by Peaches-n-Cream; 02-03-2003 at 07:57 PM.