GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,665
Threads: 115,520
Welcome to our newest member, aanneaeswifta59
» Online Users: 1,707
0 members and 1,707 guests
No Members online

Old 04-08-2010, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually, it did go on during rush ... after the open houses on Sunday, we all hurried home to our phones (land lines!) to await calls from sororities for coke dates. It was good in a way for the PNMs because it helped you guage which groups were interested in you, but it was hell on chapters, especially small ones, because it added one more thing to an already hectic week. Anyway, they did away with it when I was a senior and I've never heard of any other schools doing it since.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-13-2010, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

as far as what not to talk about, we have the 5 b's:

-Booze
-Boys
-Bible
-Barack
-Bank Accounts
Old 04-17-2010, 03:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know what has been said and what hasn't in this thread since I don't exactly have time to read everything, but to answer the original question...I really hate when people say just be yourself and blah, blah, blah. Let's be honest there are certain things you don't want to say. Actually it's not really WHAT you say, but HOW you say it! That is so true! Like you can almost talk about anything you want, but don't stay on a controversial or strange topic for super long, because then it will seem weird. For instance I went to a rush party where the recruiter was talking about Twilight for our whole conversation, and which team she was on (Jacob or Edward) and which team I liked, and why, and etc. While I do enjoy the Twilight series, I thought that talking about this for a whole party was just a bit much, especially because she made it seem like this was seriously her life. I get that people want to find a common ground topic, but just don't dwell. Also, something that kind of agitated me, was that when ever I mentioned something I did (cheerleading, extracurriculars, etc) the girls would act so interested, but I felt like they really weren't since they probably knew all this info from the stuff I turned in to pan...I guess what Im saying is that if you want to avoid this, talk about little know facts about yourself, something that really stands apart, and something the girls might now know already. There are plenty of girls in rush that were cheerleaders, captain of the debate team, a member of the student government, and more. There probably aren't that many people though that started their own business, or started an animal shelter, or more. SET YOURSELF APART! I hope this helps
Old 04-17-2010, 03:26 AM
Super Moderator

One of the things I'll never forget is when I asked a PNM what made her consider Recruitment, or something banal like that. She quietly said, "I've been terribly homesick." To do this, I admired that PNM. In that one quiet sentence, I knew that this would be a tremendous sister, one who would be kind and good to her sisters, and honest to a fault. I don't think everyone should use that sentence, or would appreciate hearing it, but I just wanted to hug her, and tell her that she'd be alright - but I couldn't. So, I said that I knew her problem, and wished that I could hug her but wasn't permitted to do so.

BTW, I was right. She pledged, and was a wonderful sister, even through five years.

Honesty goes a looooooong way!

Last edited by honeychile; 04-17-2010 at 12:29 PM. Reason: poor grammar
Old 04-17-2010, 03:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
I got all misty-eyed. These are the moments I hope every sorority woman joins for. The strength of a connection with another's life.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
I got all misty-eyed. These are the moments I hope every sorority woman joins for. The strength of a connection with another's life.
I'm gonna' have to agree with my sister on this one. I love hearing stories about how women truly found their "home" while going through rush. I don't have any biological sisters and joining a sorority really meant a lot to me. I am thankful, daily, that I met so many incredible women (throughout the NPC/ NPHC) who have made me realize that going Greek was one of the best things I've ever done!
Old 04-19-2010, 01:26 AM

If you have a unique name or a common name with a unique spelling, DON'T BE OFFENDED if someone pronounces it totally wrong.

It is highly likely that a sorority member WILL butcher your name at some point in the day.

Don't take it personally, roll your eyes, or say "ohmygosh people have been calling me that all day."

Just politely say "actually it's _________" and move on.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
One of the things I'll never forget is when I asked a PNM what made her consider Recruitment, or something banal like that. She quietly said, "I've been terribly homesick." To do this, I admired that PNM. In that one quiet sentence, I knew that this would be a tremendous sister, one who would be kind and good to her sisters, and honest to a fault. I don't think everyone should use that sentence, or would appreciate hearing it, but I just wanted to hug her, and tell her that she'd be alright - but I couldn't. So, I said that I knew her problem, and wished that I could hug her but wasn't permitted to do so.

BTW, I was right. She pledged, and was a wonderful sister, even through five years.

Honesty goes a looooooong way!
Honey, that touched my heart; I hope that some PNM will read your words & somewhere during recruitment there will be another connection like the one you made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
If you have a unique name or a common name with a unique spelling, DON'T BE OFFENDED if someone pronounces it totally wrong.

It is highly likely that a sorority member WILL butcher your name at some point in the day.

Don't take it personally, roll your eyes, or say "ohmygosh people have been calling me that all day."

Just politely say "actually it's _________" and move on.
You got that right! I posted this before; people couldn't pronounce my last name (some still have trouble, can't spell it, can't say it, & to me it's not THAT hard)... They even changed my first name sometimes. I learned a long time ago not to make a big deal out of it, because eventually people figured out what my first name was (it ends in an A not an E) and as for my last name, well, it really doesn't matter. No need to embarrass or correct people when they are just doing the best they can.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I wouldn't be sarcastic. Even if you mean it as humor, since the girl doesn't know you, she might think you're being rude
Old 05-05-2010, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

The 5 b's to stay away from
1.Boys
2.Booze
3. Barack
4.Bible
5. Bids
Old 05-17-2010, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Thank you so much for all the advice given on this thread I can already see so many mistakes I would have made if I had not seen this.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think people are taught the social skills that they once were. I have always been friendly and introduced myself to people but some don't find it outgoing they find it pushy or desperate. I can't speak if they are shy or just what but I have found it perfectly find for a girl interested in joining to come up and say "I have seen your letters on campus and I can't wait to meet more of you girls" I might not know them but I like that they do that. I can remember during orientation at my mom's sorority booth introducing myself to each girl and saying my mom was the class of 83' and pledge in 79 and asking if they know so and so teacher on campus that was in it. I don't know why but it was awkward, it is like I was trying harder than they were and it was their sorority and the fact I knew of a alumna woman on campus and they didn't. I would hate to tell new members to not be outgoing but some people don't take it as serious as others so you have to be careful how you come off.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerpower83 View Post
I don't think people are taught the social skills that they once were. I have always been friendly and introduced myself to people but some don't find it outgoing they find it pushy or desperate. I can't speak if they are shy or just what but I have found it perfectly find for a girl interested in joining to come up and say "I have seen your letters on campus and I can't wait to meet more of you girls" I might not know them but I like that they do that. I can remember during orientation at my mom's sorority booth introducing myself to each girl and saying my mom was the class of 83' and pledge in 79 and asking if they know so and so teacher on campus that was in it. I don't know why but it was awkward, it is like I was trying harder than they were and it was their sorority and the fact I knew of a alumna woman on campus and they didn't. I would hate to tell new members to not be outgoing but some people don't take it as serious as others so you have to be careful how you come off.
QFP
Old 07-26-2010, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi! I've definitely appreciated all the advice here. I have a question that I don't think has been answered yet.

I was thinking about what I'm going to say if/when I'm asked why I want to join a sorority, and I was considering mentioning that my grandmother still talks about how much she loved being in a sorority to this day. I wouldn't mention which GLO she was in, but I don't know what to say if asked, since a chapter of her sorority is present on campus. Should I just not bring it up at all?
Old 07-26-2010, 01:08 PM

Depending on each GLO's policies, you may or may not be a legacy to her group (if you're afraid of getting cut by other groups because you're a legacy). And even if that DOES make you a legacy in her group, grandmother/granddaughter might not be a legacy in other groups so they won't think about it.

Honestly the opinion on what to do/say in this scenario is kind of split on here.