GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,654
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Artisancne
» Online Users: 1,499
1 members and 1,498 guests
Zach

Old 05-27-2003, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to steelepike Send a message via Yahoo to steelepike
Well i at first wanted to be a Sigma Chi then a Phi Delt and then a Sigma Nu but that was right after i went out with each and heard their rush speeches. After weighing everything everyone said and all i decided i wanted to be a Pike and well i chose wisely.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-27-2003, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to docetboy Send a message via Yahoo to docetboy
I got my first choice. It was also my only choice, and the only house I looked at.

You have to lovea campus with no formal rush for fraternities...it makes things so much easier.

panhel rush is just messed up, imho.

Old 05-27-2003, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I got my first choice!
Old 05-27-2003, 02:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Yes, got my first choice, and I love every moment I've spent thus far in D Phi E. BUT, had I not gotten a bid there, I probably would've been just as happy with my second choice No matter the letter, we're all greek together
Old 05-27-2003, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I suicide Preffed Alpha Gam, I knew it was home and if they didn't feel the same for me I didn't want to be a member of any other group because my heart would have been with AGD>
I think I got in, oh yeah, I did, cause I was active for 3 years and now I am a proud alum!

Facebook
Old 05-27-2003, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to radioZTA Send a message via Yahoo to radioZTA
Follow your heart!

This is a tale of following your heart instead of your head. I went through Rush twice.

I was "dirty rushed" the first year. As a freshman I was stuck on a sorority floor of a dorm (before my campus had sorority houses). All the older, i.e. graduating, members were really sweet and nice to me even though the younger ones weren't. One senior kept saying that I was going to be her little sis. During Rush, I really liked the Zetas but *knew* I was going to be in XXX. The day before pref, I was at the Zeta party, bawling my eyes out because I felt so at home but I asked them not to invite me back. I felt like the choice would be too hard to make between Zeta and XXX. I didn't get invited back to ANY pref parties because the senior that wanted me as her little sis was a Rush Counselor and had also told everyone I was going to join XXX.

At first I was so mad about having my chain yanked by XXX, for being so naive and especially for being afraid to take a chance on Zeta because of a "guaranteed" bid to another group. I look back now and am so relieved that I didn't join XXX. Because of my friendship with the older members, I missed a lot of warning signs about the rest of the group and I probably would have de-pledged. Turns out that some of the younger members of XXX on the dorm floor didn't like me because I saw them bringing lots of guys in and out after hours. The next semester, the majority of the members that I was friends with graduated and the younger members took over.

Things went downhill in their chapter after that. The members that lived in the dorm came home knee-walking drunk most nights. They should have had rehab rather than initiation. I had fun in college but these girls were really out of control. That year they were also busted for having drugs at one of their formals. (You could see a baggie of cocaine on a table in a couple of their party pix.) The president of their chapter and the president of campus panhellenic (a member of XXX) resigned their positions and then tried to blame the other sororities on campus for the incident. And if they had charged for the number of one-stands they continued to have, no one would have needed to pay chapter dues. You also were *encouraged* to change your hair color. Almost all the members became blonde, even the dark brunettes which looked really weird.

The next year I went through Rush with what I thought was an open mind, even towards XXX. At the end of the week I had cut them, got a couple of pref invites but on the bid card, I went "suicide" Zeta. I just felt so at home that I wouldn't have belonged anywhere else. My roommate, who was never interested in going through Rush, said she knew before Rush even started that I was going to end up as a Zeta because my closet was full of turquoise shirts. So much for an open mind.

Although every other XXX I've met as an alum has been super nice, I still have a hard time not resenting them as a whole because of the year I wasted not being a Zeta. My pledge sisters were great though so I'm glad I ended up with them. It's amazing how things work out.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Follow your heart!

Quote:
Originally posted by radioZTA

That year they were also busted for having drugs at one of their formals. (You could see a baggie of cocaine on a table in a couple of their party pix.)
Oh my lord . . .

Their drug use is their choice, but why would they be so dumb as to bring it to a sorority function? And leave it out on the table? While pictures were being taken? That just blows my mind.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I got my first choice, but could have made the best with my second. Anything after that would have been a disappointment. I am with the best group of girls anywhere (I know we all think that). I am where I belong, and will never regret my decision.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Is there anybody who got there 2nd or third choice through bid matching and is happy with their placement? I know we have some girls at my campus who get placed with their 2nd choice and decline the bid. We always say "no, give the system a chance", has anyone actually done this and been successful?
Old 05-27-2003, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I joined a house that was never even a consideration for me during Rush. I went through rush wanting this one house so badly I could taste it and I was invited back to all rounds there except for Pref. I was crushed. I had 3 Pref invites however (which was the max. number allowed) but two of those houses were just not at ALL what I was looking for and the third, while it is a big and popular chapter on my campus, I couldn't see myself ever just hanging around with those girls. I honestly had no idea why they kept asking me back and I never had over the max. number of invites so I could have released them. I withdrew from rush the morning of Pref and thought I had made the right desicion by not joining a sorority. However, I later regretted it once school started and all my friends were so happy in their respective houses. I didn't go to any of the COB events offered by any houses b/c I had already seen them during rush and I just was being obnoxious and I refused to give them a chance at all. Luckily Phi Mu just HAPPENED to be colonizing at my school that fall and I went and had an interview. I was offered a bid a few days later. I decided to give it a chance, mainly b/c I loved the color pink, (How stupid is that?? But really I didn't have a whole lot to base it on, since there was no existing chapter) Now almost two years later I can't imagine ever being anywhere else but where I am. My chapter has been through highs and lows, but we all love each other dearly and have a blast together, plus we have a brand new beautiful house to boot! Funny how things end working out, isn't it??
Old 05-27-2003, 08:30 PM

Great story, FAB*SpiceySpice! Sounds like you really followed your instincts and they led you to the best place for you!
Old 05-28-2003, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

When I went through recruitment, I fell in love with XYZ from the very first round. It was my top choice all week, and when I got invited to pref night, I was sure that this was the chapter for me. I attended three parties on pref night, and I preffed XYZ first. When bid day came, I didn't receive a bid from my first choice. I was really upset...I couldn't understand what had happened. Everything had gone so well!

I did receive a bid from my second pick, a chapter that had slowly been creeping up during recruitment week. I decided that everything happens for a reason, and embraced my new chapter. It was really the best thing that has ever happened to me. My chapter gave me so much....wonderful sisters, leadership opportunities, amazing traditions and lifelong friendships.

I was a recruitment counselor my junior year, and the head recruitment counselor my senior year, and I was asked both times to tell my story to the prospective members. I stood up in front of the 800+ pm's right before the recruitment counselors handed out the pref invitations. I have had dozens of girls tell me that my story really helped them when they were put in the same situation. I guess everything really does happen for a reason. I ended up a member of an amazing sorority, and I was able to help others through my story.

Sorry to be so long!

azureblue
Alpha Delta Pi.....First. Finest. Forever.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I got my first choice and I haven't looked back since!

However, I'm also positive that I would have been very happy in my second choice, and probably even in my third. PNMs, please keep your minds open to all possibilities because you never know what wonderful adventures may await you! All the NPCs are much more alike than they are different.
Old 05-28-2003, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I got my second choice...

Well, back in the day, when it was called rush and not recruitment, I went into fall rush really liking AOII a lot, they were super nice to me before rush(no dirty rushing, they were just really sweet, and not fake) and the other houses on campus were just out and out rude. I even heard one girl say on the first day of school (from another chapter on campus) that she never wears letters to school because she didn't want her professors to get preconceived notions about her. At the time, I thought that was bogus, and I still do...but I digress.

Anyhow, during rush I went in with an open mind and all the other houses wowed me a lot. I really liked two in particular. When pref came around I flipped a coin to see who I was going to pref, house A, house B, or AOII. AOII was naturally on the list, so it was basically between A and B. B won the toss, and I went to their pref 1st. The whole time I was there I felt like I wanted to be in that house. I went to AOII and really wanted to be back at house B because they were more like me (blonde, lots of ex-cheerleaders, etc). So I put house B in my #1 spot and AOII in my #2 spot.

Bid day: I was nervous, but I picked up my bid, and at first I was really bummed, I wanted so much to be in the other house, but after reflecting on how their members treated me prior to rush I realized that they were just kissing my *** because it was rush. I went to bid day, and made the most of my four years. I can't imagine what it would have been like to be in the other house. I know now that I did not belong there at all and that AOII is the best place for me. I am now an adviser for my chapter, and realized that I am an AOII forever. I could never be anywhere else.
Old 05-28-2003, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
Re: I got my second choice...

Quote:
Originally posted by AOII_LB93
I even heard one girl say on the first day of school (from another chapter on campus) that she never wears letters to school because she didn't want her professors to get preconceived notions about her. At the time, I thought that was bogus, and I still do...but I digress.
Actually, that's a problem on some campuses. There's a professor at my school where her son pledged a fraternity and she blamed it on him failing out of college. If she sees you wearing Greek letters, the best you will get is a C. Most likely, you'll get a D or an F though. I've been fortunate enough to never have her for class, but several of my sisters have. I don't know of any other professors at my university who does this, but I usually ask around before wearing letters to classes with professors I don't know.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003