GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,699
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, BillyBobThorton
» Online Users: 953
1 members and 952 guests
g4l4xysp4rk
Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ErikaXO

That's funny, DeltaBeta.....we had AEII but no jewish sororities on our campus, so Chi O kind of became the unofficial jewish house. It seemed like all of the jewish girls ended up going Chi O. I wonder if it would have been that way had we had AEPhi or one of the others.....
What's the deal with "Jewish" Houses? I'm just curious because I don't know the difference. Are the girls different or something? Only Jewish girls allowed? Just wondering
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-01-2002, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Re: Crazy!

Quote:
Originally posted by deltaduke
After being on both sides of the rush system I think
1) any house would be crazy to drop a great girl for any reason other than grades (we couldn't take anyone under 2.9 GPA).
2) all schools should have rush in the spring rather than the fall, that way you can get more info than second hand from fraternity guys!
I disagree on both counts. There are numerous reasons why girls can be dropped...even the "great" ones. However, things like race/nationality, ethnic background, and religion should not IMO be an issue. Although I have not experienced Spring Recruitment since my school does Fall, I believe that having Recruitment soon after school begins reduced the chance of girls hearing about the stereotypes or joining a GLO just because ABC fraternity said they should.
Old 06-01-2002, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
2) all schools should have rush in the spring rather than the fall, that way you can get more info than second hand from fraternity guys!

I'd have to disagree with that statement. I went to a trimester school, Rush was in January. All the GLO's had pre-rush events so you could go and meet the members and learn about Rush (Rho Chis were present at all events). LOTS of freshman girls hung out at the fraternity houses first term and got to hear the fraternity guys' opinions on each sorority. If a freshman started dating a guy first term who said "Oh no, you shouldn't go ABC, they're all lame," she might not give ABC a fair chance, whether or not she actually liked the girls. THEN she would pressure her friends into dropping ABC too, all to please her boyfriend. I've experienced this firsthand and it is NOT pretty...one girl dated a guy who thought one particular group on campus was comprised of nerds, and she was not only influenced by him but influenTIAL on her friends. Some of her friends came to the pref party but no one actually preffed. With early fall Rush, freshman women have not had the chance to meet so many people, they hear fewer opinions and can go into Rush with an open mind. It does happen.

The thing is, we DID give them more than second-hand info. When I was a Rho Chi I posted all kinds of informational signs and helped with lots of groups' pre-rush events. I hate to say it but I think secondhand fraternity men's opinions mean more to a lot of freshman girls than meeting the sorority women for themselves.

Another thing to consider: First-term freshman are looking for a place to belong, especially in those early weeks. They're also more open to trying new groups/things to do. By the spring, they have friends, cliques, clubs, etc. and they may see Greek life as one more thing to burden their time rather than an asset to building good character.
Old 06-01-2002, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

An explanation...

I think rush works both ways, you are rushing the rushee and they are rushing you. So, if you are going to make a major decision, such as rush, I think you should have the opportunity to research your options. These options include to go greek or not? what house? and most of all sororities have an opportunity to see how girls really are in real life. Look at rush as a first date: would you marry a guy after the first date? My guess you would wait.
Old 06-01-2002, 07:19 PM

Re: Re: Crazy!

Quote:
Originally posted by KappaStargirl

I hate to say it but I think secondhand fraternity men's opinions mean more to a lot of freshman girls than meeting the sorority women for themselves.
It's such a shame, but I absolutely agree with you on this. I hung around the fraternities at my college from 11th grade on (I was a local, obviously) and I got lots of input on which sorority I should be most interested in.

I didn't join Delta Zeta solely because I knew the sisters inspired droolful worship from the fraternity boys, but, face it, to an 18 year old girl, being a part of the sorority all the boys think is the "hottie" group is pretty heady stuff.

I'm all for fall semester rush.
Old 06-01-2002, 07:32 PM

Quote:
1) any house would be crazy to drop a great girl for any reason other than grades (we couldn't take anyone under 2.9 GPA).

Good luck!
I disagree.
There are plenty of reasons why. We have had many girls that come through that are wonderful and have above a 2.9 but we have dropped them because we know they won't fit in.
Also, I would never trust a fraternity guy's opinion unless he was a good friend of mine. There have been plenty of occasions where fraternity guys have gotten dumped by a girl who was about to go through rush. The guy then decided to make it his mission to dispell nasty rumors about the girl. I trust my sisters, alum, good friend fraternity boys, and my friends. I do not trust random guys from a fraternity who are just talking out of their butts.

Last edited by ZTAngel; 06-01-2002 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-02-2002, 03:54 AM
GreekChat Member

What's the deal with "Jewish" Houses? I'm just curious because I don't know the difference. Are the girls different or something? Only Jewish girls allowed? Just wondering [/B][/QUOTE]

Nevermind on my question - I read the rest of the thread
I remember in Spring 01 Informal Rush, there were these 2 girls that showed up to our Rush Event (We advertised it in the newspaper) and we weren't expecting them because they didn't contact our Rush Chair, anyways while they were filling out their information sheet, there was a part on their asking what are they involved in on campus, and they put Chi Omega. They started asking questions like "So now that we are IN, what things do we do?" It was really uncomfortable for my sisters because they felt bad telling them they needed to be invited. I think eventually the Rush Chair explained it to them. Thank God because we didn't extend either of them Bids.
As the current Rush Chair, during this past Spring Rush, there was a girl who went to all of our events (she got a hold of a Rush Flyer) and would be like one of the last ones to leave the house after our rush events because she was trying to stick around to see if we would extend her a bid. She did that *every* time. It was sad. She also went through Fall Rush and almost everyone cut her and she dropped out. She told me that she thought she wanted to be in a certain sorority and then when she got cut she opted to drop. We didn't extend her a bid.
At my school all the fraternities are having parties and Rush events all summer long and a lot of freshman girls attend these parties, especially when school starts. In a way it's good because we see them out and about. In another way it's bad because of Dirty Rushing that goes on. It's common to see sorority girls at parties hanging out, drinking, and partying with PNM's. They (sorority girls) want to get in good with them so when they go through Rush, the Rushee's already know them. I think it's kind of trashy on the sororities part though. Fraternity boys have a lot of influence, but when you think about it, the majority of the time it's because that's their current fling's sorority.
Old 06-02-2002, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

speaking as a member of SDTnot all of chapter are exclusively jewish, but i will admit many, many are. Down here at USF we are so not jewish for the most part...its almost humorous. When We were on Spring Break this past year, we met some guys from American and they asked our affiliation, when we told them we were SDT's they looked us up and down, and go "you must not have a very jewish chapter!"
To say that it was wrong to keep chapters jewish in my opinion is not a bad thing. SDT IS a jewish sorority, founded on jewish ideals. It was founded by 7 AMAZING woman who no other chapter would give a chance simply because they were jewish. SO they were forced to begin their own sorority. Other chapters can uphold their religious affiliations, we are quite proud of ours. (and I'm not even jewish) Why should a jewish woman have to endure a christian based ritual simply because people want rush to think that religion doesn't impact rush. Everything impacts rush, looks, money, clothes, what you talk about, how you talk.
While we don't search out for the Jewish people, its more the other way. They are aware that we are a jewish house and want to join. Think about going through, the houses you were intrested in you put more entusiam into attending, where the houses you were just waiting to get dropped from you weren't rude but you were kind of like whatever.
I think that to drop people because they aren't jewish is kind of messed up but if everyone's going to Temple to celebrate Passover and you're going to Church to celebrate Easter you're probably going to feel a little weird about the situation.
Old 06-02-2002, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Re: Re: Crazy!

Quote:
Originally posted by KappaStargirl

I'd have to disagree with that statement. I went to a trimester school, Rush was in January. All the GLO's had pre-rush events so you could go and meet the members and learn about Rush (Rho Chis were present at all events). LOTS of freshman girls hung out at the fraternity houses first term and got to hear the fraternity guys' opinions on each sorority. If a freshman started dating a guy first term who said "Oh no, you shouldn't go ABC, they're all lame," she might not give ABC a fair chance, whether or not she actually liked the girls. THEN she would pressure her friends into dropping ABC too, all to please her boyfriend. I've experienced this firsthand and it is NOT pretty...one girl dated a guy who thought one particular group on campus was comprised of nerds, and she was not only influenced by him but influenTIAL on her friends. Some of her friends came to the pref party but no one actually preffed. With early fall Rush, freshman women have not had the chance to meet so many people, they hear fewer opinions and can go into Rush with an open mind. It does happen.
My campus wouldn't allow anyone to rush until they had completed (the equivalent of) at least one semester of college. The idea being that they wanted students to adjust to being students before being involved in something so time consuming.

So transfer students could rush in the fall, but freshman could only rush in the spring. The 3 social sororities (all locals) and 2 of the social fraternities (again all locals) only participated in spring rush. The rest of us (nationals and one local fraternity) held it both semesters. I can see the advantage... it does allow the rushees to see how the greek members interact with each other-- their sisters/brothers and other GLOs (not to mention GDIs). You get to see firsthand which GLOs are really active on campus and which ones only party. So you have a better firsthand knowledge than someone who's been in school for one week. You did get a lot of hearsay, but at least you have the time to check it out for yourself.

My sister's school held fall rush (she's a Kappa!) and I can see the advantage to that, too. You don't have any pre-conceived notions about any house... unless you're a legacy or some other circumstances. You get involved on campus right away.

I don't think one is better than the other.. .just different.

The one good thing about fall rush was that I joined my sophomore year, so that gave me an extra semester to be involved (as oppossed to if we ONLY held spring rush).

To Be Rather Than To Seem To Be
Old 06-02-2002, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

A lot of the discussion on this thread is making me angry and sick to my stomach. Whoever thinks you can tell a person's religious affiliation by their appearance needs to travel a little bit and meet more people of different affiliations. Having lived in New York and Los Angeles for most of my life, I have friends who are every religion under the sun.

There are plenty of Jewish people who have blonde hair, red hair, brown hair, straight hair, curly hair, blue eyes, green eyes, hazel eyes, etc. Having an Italian last name doesn't mean someone's not jewish either: you get your religion from your mom and your last name from your dad.

I understand that none of you are judging people on here, but just stop and think before you say things, please? If you don't understand why this is important, sit down and talk to someone who was in a concentration camp, if you don't know anyone who has experienced that kind of torture, read a book written by someone who has.

Thanks,

Laura

Last edited by bruinaphi; 06-02-2002 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-02-2002, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi there everyone
I just wanted to make a comment here. No one is saying anything against Jewish people at all. What people are saying is that it is NOT fair for Jewish people to judge anyone. I'm sorry but I find it sick and upsetting that a girl would get cut based on the fact that she is not jewish, or black or white. What year are we living in? And hello, my father is Jewish but I have seen with my own eyes here up north, PLENTY of girls not even get a chance bc they were not jewish. I also think it is absurd to condone this in any way. I feel it should be on the girl's personality, grades, hell even looks before it goes to race. Just my opinion.
Old 06-02-2002, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by deltajas
Hi there everyone
I just wanted to make a comment here. No one is saying anything against Jewish people at all. What people are saying is that it is NOT fair for Jewish people to judge anyone. I'm sorry but I find it sick and upsetting that a girl would get cut based on the fact that she is not jewish, or black or white. What year are we living in? And hello, my father is Jewish but I have seen with my own eyes here up north, PLENTY of girls not even get a chance bc they were not jewish. I also think it is absurd to condone this in any way. I feel it should be on the girl's personality, grades, hell even looks before it goes to race. Just my opinion.
And you hear all the time about how Jewish girls are cut from a house because of their religion. I'm sorry but it works both ways. The "Jewish" sororities came into existence for that very reason so that girls of this religion could find a place where they fit in and be accepted.
And, I will add it that it offensive to hear that people were able to bypass getting cut from a typically "Jewish" house because they looked Jewish. Someone, please explain to me what Jewish looks like. I would honestly love to know. If you say dark hair and dark eyes, I would love for you to meet me because I will throw that stereotype right out the window. I am blonde, green eyed, and Jewish. Hmmmmmm....
Old 06-02-2002, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey there
Although where I am from I have never seen a girl cut from rush due to being jewish, I cannot say it has not happened in other parts of the country. But, my whole point is we all need to throw discrimination out the window. The jewish affiliated sororities were founded over 50 years ago, we all need to move forward into time. I am from up north and I know of other schools in the area that like 90% of all greek life is Jewish. Now do you think it is fair that some girl of x religion not get the greek experience bc she is not jewish, based on principles founded years ago? I just don't think it is just to ever use religion as a factor. If that is the case, then they should switch to x religion only sororities.
Old 06-02-2002, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMelissa
Response to CutiePie2000

I totally agree that these girls just don't know any better. I remember that when I went through formal rush, I really wanted to be an AXiD or an A-Phi, but I wasn't like, that's what I'm gonna be. I do remember some girls saying, "well I'm gonna be an AOPi they told me I was in," and then they didn't get in and it was sad. I'm going to a Recruitment Counselor (no longer called Rho Chi, sigh) and I'm gonna make damn sure the girls know they have to be chosen just as much as they choose! It's a little something called "mutual selection," ya know?

But I must say that as a PNM, I can see where those girls are coming from. I also believe, though, that it is in very poor taste to talk about other orgs while in a rush room with another org. I didn't know much about the greek system as a PNM, but I knew enough to know that was rude, so some of those girls are just plain tactless, period.
Old 06-02-2002, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

About that Rho Chi comment ?

Question why was it decided that rho chi was a bad term ? I mean I understand most of the other changes in vocab like from pledge to New member and all of that... but what was the negative thought behind Rho Chi ??
Closed Thread