GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,645
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Pinkiepolice
» Online Users: 1,456
0 members and 1,456 guests
No Members online

Old 08-20-2011, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

We have so many friends going thru recruitment at Arkansas and I know that this new dead week in between is so stressful on the girls and the mommas. Best wishes to you both and may you both get some rest this week!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-20-2011, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I sure hope the ladies are out at the bar tonight.

Woo Pig Sooie!
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 08-20-2011, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UARKmom View Post
My daughter is also rushing at UARK so I enjoyed reading your story. The so-called 'dead week' is killing us too. I'm also from out-of-state and trying to decide if I should be there for bid day. Do you know if they call moms to tell them the bids first?
No. They most definitely do not call moms...for anything. If you can be there, next weekend, I would go. Bid day has turned into an event and lots of moms are there. It is a nice way to check in on your daughter and console or congratulate as the case may be.

Good luck to your daughter! and GO HOGS!
Old 08-20-2011, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Of course they do not call the mothers first!!

The mothers were not the ones going through recruitment!

Geesh!
Old 08-21-2011, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

This is where the week off could help your daughter get some perspective. That third house that's a deal-breaker? After joining the real world for a few days she might realize that's crazy talk and accept them with open arms.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Goodness - reading your blog brought back memories. I have a current KD daughter at the U of A. When she was going through recruitment, her "favorite" house cut her on her birthday. Talk about tears and tears and tears and the worst birthday ever!!! Now she fully believes the process works and cannot imagine that she should be anything BUT a KD!! So glad your daughter did not drop out! VERY glad to hear you will be on campus for bid day. I was there and it is one of those memories that is vividly imprinted in my mind. Although, it was another tough day. All the PNMs are collected in the Greek Theater with the houses gathered around the perimeter. The Gamma Chis are all introduced and reveal their house affiliation. The PNMs are handed envelopes with their bid and all open them at the same time. I had my eye on my daugher but lost her in the chaos as I watched from afar. All the happy girls were jumping up and down and racing to her new sisters. It was the longest 3 or so minutes before I saw my daughter embracing other KDs. As I write this, the tears are welling up in my eyes again. Good job mom - so glad you will be there to share it with your girl! I just might go for the fun and excitement of it. Even for members, this is a huge event full of emotion, exhaution, and anticipation. Good luck!
Old 08-21-2011, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UARKmom View Post
My daughter is also rushing at UARK so I enjoyed reading your story. The so-called 'dead week' is killing us too. I'm also from out-of-state and trying to decide if I should be there for bid day. Do you know if they call moms to tell them the bids first?
@UARKmom - yes - if at all possible, go to bid day. Read my reply to MomofPNM11. I was there - it is a milestone memory I will cherish forever.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

@KDMomUofA - I am so glad that a happy ending was had at Zeta Gamma KD! I loved my time at Arkansas in that chapter! Please tell your daughter that the alumnae are so proud of the great job they have done at recruitment this year!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

@KDMomUofA -- Thanks for the detailed explanation of bid day at Uark. I've decided to go -- Saturday is pref day, Sunday is bid day, Monday is her birthday -- so it seems like a good idea to be there for many reasons. And, KD is her first choice (but still staying open to the other three). Any idea what time the pref parties are held? Thanks!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

@wavycutchip - thanks!!! I have just passed the word - it has been an exhausting week! Encouragement is always welcome!! @UARKmom - great decision! You will be glad that you are there. Pref day is busy. There are two schedules for pref parties but until all girls have finished all tasks no one is released to go. It keeps the process objective. Hang in there mommies of PNMs. This two week process is quite stressful!
Old 08-22-2011, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Regarding the Pref party schedule - my daughter expects to meet her group at 7am and not be finished until after midnight. I don't expect to get to see her at all that day unless she is released. Of course my information is 2nd hand (hence the name of the thread), so if someone has 1st hand knowledge of Saturday's schedule, I would defer to them.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofPNM11 View Post
I'm thinking of buying a plane ticket and going to Bid Day. I know it's different at every school, but at Arkansas a lot of families gather around the Chi Omega Greek Theater when the girls open bids. I heard some houses even have a brief activity with families. I know I won't spend much time with her if she gets a bid, but I could help her get ready for Pref night since her roommate isn't rushing.
What a beautiful setting the Greek Theater is. I adore the campus at Univ. of Arkansas!

I wish your daughter well. I'm enjoying your story!
Old 08-22-2011, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
What a beautiful setting the Greek Theater is. I adore the campus at Univ. of Arkansas!
It is. The Greek theatre is probably my favorite place on campus.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 08-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

So many great memories of that place from childhood on...pep rallies, studying outside in the fall, taking a campus hike and stopping off there...
Old 08-22-2011, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

MOMofPNM11, my son went through recruitment three years ago, and my God Daughter at a highly competitive SEC school just last year. I was a tad nervous for his and a wreck for hers, so I understand how hard it is to sit on the sidelines. Her mom and I agonized over it! She ended up with a great home, and my fingers are crossed for Lindsey as well. Hang in there. Pino G is a good friend.... Glad you are going to Bid Day. You won't regret being there either way.