GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,654
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Artisancne
» Online Users: 1,472
1 members and 1,471 guests
No Members online

Old 01-14-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
Carnation, this group was one of her faves and I just learned they were a local that replaced pi phi. Interesting!

I tried to find out about Wake recruitment earlier in the fall but came up short. this thread has certainly been enlightening.
Just to clarify, Kappa Beta Gamma is not a local, but a national social sorority that doesn't belong to NPC. They may be members of a school's Panhellenic Council, however.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^

Thanks 33girl!
Old 01-14-2013, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I’m a little confused about the Pi Beta Phi/Kappa Beta Gamma situation. From what information I am gathering (from GC and elsewhere), the Wake Forest chapter of Pi Beta Phi was formerly a local called Strings. In 2010 PiPhi’s HQs revoked their charter for continuing to carry on unauthorized Strings traditions. The members all were given Pi Phi alumnae status, and then affiliated with Kappa Beta Gamma- a national, but non-NPC sorority. That all makes sense, although the part about the Pi Phi’s all joining another sorority, while technically allowed since it’s not NPC, seems slightly shady, but I guess they found a loophole.

But from IUHoosierGirl’s earlier post, it sounds like PNM’s are casually referring to this group as Pi Phi? That’s the part that sounds very strange to me. Especially since freshmen and sophomores were not even on campus when Pi Phi (officially) existed. If that is the case, they are picking up the terminology somewhere- either people on campus still call the new group Pi Phi, even though it’s not, in which case KBG has a serious branding problem, or the group itself is running itself as an underground PiPhi chapter, just taking on the KBG name for legal purposes.

Can anyone please clarify? Thanks!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

As a follow up, I asked my friend about the 'Pi Phi' pledge, and he said (I quote): "There's something weird with it. Like they were temporarily off campus, but I think they'll be back in the house next year"...something smells a little fishy to me
Old 01-14-2013, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Sounds like something fishy, indeed. I googled Pi Phi Wake Forest, and there are recent discussions about Pi Phi at Wake Forest on THAT website.

Perhaps the headquarters of both Pi Phi AND Kappa Beta Gamma might want to look into what's going on.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Already being done on the Pi Phi end!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Very interesting.....my son has a HS Classmate in that Kappa Beta Gamma chapter. She is a sophomore.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

My rec girl always referred to that group as the Betas. The mom explained (via the daughter) that it was "the former pi phi chapter."
Old 01-19-2013, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Question for anyone who knows anything about Wake...

I have a friend who's daughter is seriously considering WFU next year. She's already working on recs - is there anything she can/should do in that department for Kappa Beta Gamma? Obviously, getting a Pi Phi rec is probably a bad idea...I guess? Just want to make sure she's covered for all instances.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

It seems that your friend's daughter would not need a Pi Phi rec, because there is no Pi Phi chapter at Wake. No guessing there <<<vbg>>>. But don't forget about Theta's colonization this coming Fall... (shameless plug).
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-19-2013, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I definitely told her to get a couple of KAO recs! No shameless plug necessary!

Ok, because I know very little about how locals (or in this case, non-nationals) work...should I tell her to try and seek one out for KBG? Or is it a non-issue with that group?

(because I'm dense...what's VBG? Very big...gaffe?)
Old 01-19-2013, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Very Big Grin (I have an aversion to smileys, despite thetygerlily's encouragement and tutelage).

One thing I am NOT is passive agressive, Shirley, so nope, no "gaffe".

I *think* the colony for Theta is getting started this spring? Check out Facebook and I'll do a little more research.

Don't know zip about the Kappa Beta Gammas so not commenting!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-19-2013, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Beta Gamma is national. Maybe check out their website to find out how to contact their alum association. They recruit right alongside the NPC chapters at Wake, so if she is getting recs for the other chapters, she would probably do well to try and get a rec for KBG as well.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Very Big Grin (I have an aversion to smileys, despite thetygerlily's encouragement and tutelage).

One thing I am NOT is passive agressive, Shirley, so nope, no "gaffe".
Bahahahaaaaa! I didn't mean it as P-A, but more as "it would probably be wrong to get a Pi Phi to write a rec since there's not supposed to be a connection there, although the chapter themselves might see it as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
I *think* the colony for Theta is getting started this spring? Check out Facebook and I'll do a little more research.
I thought it was too, so I didn't even mention it (in terms of not wanting to make it sound "new"...more like "it's an established chapter, this is what you do for any chapter" type-thing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
Kappa Beta Gamma is national. Maybe check out their website to find out how to contact their alum association. They recruit right alongside the NPC chapters at Wake, so if she is getting recs for the other chapters, she would probably do well to try and get a rec for KBG as well.
Good advice. Worried that since all the chapters seem to be north and east of our location, she'll have a ridiculously hard time finding one. Hope that isn't as much of a deal-breaker as it can be with some NPC chapters?
Old 01-29-2013, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

WFU Student

I am a Greek affiliated student at Wake Forest so maybe I can clear somethings up? Also please feel free to PM me with questions!

1) Wake Forest's recruitment process is pretty competitive (it typically has a 70% success rate...out of the 30% who end up bid-less, most chose to withdraw from recruitment or intentionally single preference AKA suicide).

2) Since it is delayed recruitment, many chapters reach out to the PNMs and get to know them during the 1st semester. By no means does this mean that sororities already have their new member classes picked out before recruitment...but they may have a few girls in mind that they really want.

3) Recs will help but they are not the end all be all...I did not have any recs, and neither did any of my friends and we were all placed somewhere.

4) KBG (called Beta) does not have a voice in Panhel meetings, and no one refers to them as Pi Phi. People on campus are aware that they were once Pi Phi but from what I understand they want to continue being Beta and have no plans on becoming a panhellenic sorority again.