GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,699
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, BillyBobThorton
» Online Users: 1,437
0 members and 1,437 guests
No Members online

Old 05-08-2003, 01:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by damasa

It would have been a shame if you didn't receive a bid because of somethign a girl happened to do at your highschool.....
So true... My sophmore year three (maybe 4) girls from my high school were charged with aggrevated assault and armed robbery for robbing some convenient stores in a less well to do area. They were dubbed "the queens of armed robbery." Anyone from Houston know's what I'm talking about. Also, there were a few specials on like abc (?) with Diane Sawyer... I think the circumstances are similar. It's a very prominent area, people live in million dollar houses, blah blah blah... It's what everybody wants, to see the successful and well to do fall flat on their faces. You know tha Sugar and Spice movie?? defintely based on what happened at my school...

While I don't think what the girls did were right, I also think the news media blew is a little out of proportion. If it happened at any other school would it be such a big deal?? Would it have made headlines all over the country?? I'm betting not! Maybe the back page...

I think it's sick, but can y'all honestly say you didn't haze?? I know at my high school we did. Certainly ours wasn't as brutal and was all in good fun but i am pretty sure nobody meant for it to go so far....

That's just my opinion, you're free to have your own... Just don't make personal attacks... That's uncool

Oh and anyone who says they don't want to belong or be apart of the "cool" is full of it...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-08-2003, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I can honestly say that there was no hazing in my high school.
Old 05-08-2003, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

not even the "hey, wouldn't it be cool if we made the fish line up and spray them with water, throw flour on them, put shaving cream all over them and stick jello in their pants then take them through the carwash in the back of a truck to rise off"? No sort of initiation?? That's kind of sad... your school must have really sucked. It's traditions like that that bring classes which wouldn't ordinarly be close together...
Old 05-08-2003, 02:57 AM
UMgirl

About the comment that the one girl made about the incident, I believe her words were...

"So what if a girl's head was bashed and she got stitches. It's not like she was killed."

Wow......

Enough said there. If I saw that my child said that.... she may need a bashing of her own (not that I would actually bash her, but whatever punishment I gave her, she'd definately feel the effects of it for awhiiillleee).

Geniuses for taping it also and sending it to the media. Underage drinking charges can also be pressed, duh!
Old 05-08-2003, 03:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Back when I was in high school twenty years ago there was no hazing nor were there any high school fraternities and/or sororities; they having been banned by the Dade County Public Schools some years ago and lumped into the category of 'illegal organizations'. Membership in these was considered such a heinous offense to school order and discipline that it was considered a Class E offense, along with drug use, bringing a weapon to school or public intoxication on school grounds -- guaranteeing one expulsion from school and/or being assigned to MacArthur (the DCPS 'reform school').

In the olden days, it was not unusual for high school fraternities and sororities to be an active and influential part of the school's activities. As an example, Coral Gables High School had a fraternity named 'Ching Tang', which was founded in 1932 and was forced to close in 1971 when the 'illegal organizations' ban went into effect. In 2001, the final nationwide reunion of Ching Tang took place and the fraternity donated their memorabilia to the Historical Museum of South Florida.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 05-08-2003, 04:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally posted by BSUPhiSig'92
For all Illinois Greeks (and potentially others) at Recruitment next year, if you have a PNM from Glenbrook North High School, DON'T GIVE THEM A BID!!!
Do you know how many girls from GBN come through recruitment each year??? There are a few sororities they tend to gravitate towards (as with any high school, IMO), but my big graduated from GBN and she is the LAST person who would ever haze.

However, I will tell you that everyone from the area already knows EXACTLY who was involved, and some chapters will get rid of them, but some chapters won't mind a bit.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally posted by AXJules
OK EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWw. What is that supposed to mean??????
I graduated from GBN and those 10 ANIMALS in no way refect what ANY of our kids are like.

Seriously, you need to explain yourself.

I'm definitely posting more on this but I've only gotten to the first page.
Sorry, AXJ, but I have to agree. GBN is the type of school where I would see these things happening. I went to a VERY similar high school in the same area, and a lot of kids have a lot of money and a lot of pressure to be perfect. If that includes playing powderpuff to be accepted as "popular," they will do it.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
The perpetrators in this incident should be arrested and charged. Plain and simple.
There was hazing at my highschool, but not o the degree of this, and our faculty and administration took a tough stance on it, hwther it occured off school grounds or not.
The students that were caught hazing were definitly sespended. Depending on the severity of the hazing, students were arrested and many charged with assult. This has clearly reduced the severity of the freshman hazing that goes on.
I'll admit that it it still happens, but now it's more of a marker on the face letting everyone know that you're in grade 9 (the way it was before). It seemed to get worse the year I entered highschool, and certainly by my 5th year (no I'm not stupid we used to have 5 years of highschool in Ontario) the administration was cracking down.
Okay so I rambled a bit, but my point is, if my school can do it, I don't understand the BS coming from this school. I know we're in different countries, but out laws can't be so completely different that my school can do something about hazing, but Glenbrook North can't?
Old 05-08-2003, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Quote:
Originally posted by Megerts
not even the "hey, wouldn't it be cool if we made the fish line up and spray them with water, throw flour on them, put shaving cream all over them and stick jello in their pants then take them through the carwash in the back of a truck to rise off"? No sort of initiation?? That's kind of sad... your school must have really sucked. It's traditions like that that bring classes which wouldn't ordinarly be close together...
My school didn't suck. I attended a private school in New York City that focused on academics. The administration wouldn't tolerate this kind of crap. There was a pretty rigorous application process. If someone had behaved this way, he or she would have been expelled immediately. Parents paid too much money for most students to take an expulsion lightly.

I have heard of college fraternities, sororities, and sport teams which hazed in a similar manner.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaBetaBaby
Sorry, AXJ, but I have to agree. GBN is the type of school where I would see these things happening. I went to a VERY similar high school in the same area, and a lot of kids have a lot of money and a lot of pressure to be perfect. If that includes playing powderpuff to be accepted as "popular," they will do it.

AXJules, DeltaBetaBaby took the words right out of my mouth. Like I said, I live in the area and actually taught not far from GBN, so I'm quite familiar with the attitudes of some North Shore residents. One of my good friends is a GBN alumna like yourself, and she in NO WAY is represented by the hazers on the tape. I stand by my statement that I could see something like this happening at GBN (or a multitude of other schools in the Chicagoland area) but you're right, not everyone at those schools would engage in such behavior. Sorry if I offended.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Megerts
So true... My sophmore year three (maybe 4) girls from my high school were charged with aggrevated assault and armed robbery for robbing some convenient stores in a less well to do area. They were dubbed "the queens of armed robbery." Anyone from Houston know's what I'm talking about. Also, there were a few specials on like abc (?) with Diane Sawyer... I think the circumstances are similar. It's a very prominent area, people live in million dollar houses, blah blah blah... It's what everybody wants, to see the successful and well to do fall flat on their faces. You know tha Sugar and Spice movie?? defintely based on what happened at my school...
I do remember the Queens of Armed Robbery. Very spooky.

While I think you're right the media is going to play up the sins and crimes of wealthy people for ratings, just as you said, I don't think that's the entire issue.

I think part of it is the kids are spoiled. Not just in this particular part of the country (my SIL lives in Winnetka, so I know some of the area), but any well-to-do neighborhood where kids get whatever they want for the asking and don't have to learn basic values: whether it's the value of a dollar or the value of a life, or the value that actions have consequences. The parents aren't involved, they can financially afford not to be. Then they get all shocked that their darling angel butter-wouldn't-melt-in-their-little-mouths kids are getting hauled off to jail.

Before anyone PMs or replies to this with "Hey, you're wrong because *I* sure don't act like that!".......I know it's not true of *everyone*. But it a number of circumstances you see these common threads-the Houston case reminded me of it.

Back to coffee........
Adrienne (PNAM-2003)
Old 05-08-2003, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaBetaBaby
Well I would say that there is definitely pressure at GBN, as far as wearing the right clothes, money, etc.... but RedRose said nothing to elaborate. Her comment made it sound like GBN is trashy or that this usually occurs. We actually have a really strict hazing policy---our HS also had NO gangs (with the exception of 2 Korean ones, but they fought off school property)...never any fights at school....GBN is like a bubble, seriously. Maybe thats why this has been all over the place.
I just don't appreciate the "Doesn't surprise me ::roll eyes::" when this is something that NEVER happens at GBN.

Red Rose- I read your post after I wrote this. Maybe you didn't mean to offend but without any explanation it totally gave a false impression of GBN.

Last edited by AXJules; 11-06-2004 at 01:14 AM.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Reactions???

Here's a link to the story in the local paper:

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/cgi-bin/...8-03-1116.html
Old 05-08-2003, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

"Just Walk Away"

Quote:
Originally posted by momoftwo
Here's a link to the story in the local paper:

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/cgi-bin/...8-03-1116.html
Way to go, Dad. Tell your kid to walk away from people who are obviously in trouble. Just don't be involved, cover your own ass, and let others fend for themselves, even if they end up in the hospital. Oh yeah, what high character he must have.

You don't have to go running in looking to physically tear people off, how about call the police, call an adult, get help? Did you teach your son any of THAT, Dad???

And this idiot is on the school board? He proves the point I just made about some parents thinking their kids are so perfect their sh*t doesn't stink!

Adrienne (PNAM-2003)
Old 05-08-2003, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

I apologize for making an overly broad statement. You are right, I am sure the whole senior class from Glenbrook North was not involved in this incident. Since I am from downstate Illinois, I don't know just how big a school Glenbrook North is. When I saw this video (the entire video, not just 30 seconds of it) it made me extremely angry, and when I heard what some of the school officials were saying to CYA, it made me even angrier. I personally feel that these girls should not be allowed to graduate, and should face criminal and civil charges to the fullest extent allowed. I also think there should be consequences for the boys that were cheering them on (and I observed a few getting some hits in on the juniors as well). I know that I will be watching the papers for a list of persons implicated in this assault, and I would encourage other Illinois Greeks to do the same. We don't need high school hazers in our chapters.