GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,678
Threads: 115,521
Welcome to our newest member, atylermarleyo21
» Online Users: 950
1 members and 949 guests
naraht
Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

wow!!congratulations to phi mu.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-30-2005, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ice_cold
At 98 sisters that makes Phi Mu the largest chapter on campus. Total is 85.
If total is 85, how can they have 98? I was under the impression that you could only go over total if taking quota would put you over total. Obviously that's not the case here, so shouldn't they be capped off at 85?
Old 10-01-2005, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
If total is 85, how can they have 98? I was under the impression that you could only go over total if taking quota would put you over total. Obviously that's not the case here, so shouldn't they be capped off at 85?
Its a chapter consolidation/recolonization deal.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Even with recolonizations, I don't think you're usually allowed to go over total -- or average chapter size, whichever they use to determine the upper limit.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

many times its left up to the Greek Advisor. Its not always fair but it happens.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
Even with recolonizations, I don't think you're usually allowed to go over total -- or average chapter size, whichever they use to determine the upper limit.
This is more of a consolidation though. I'm guessing that back in the day when there were mergers in the NPC the same thing happened on a few campuses.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

WOW -- that's almost hard to believe! What a revolution for Phi Mu. Can anyone tell us a little bit more about how this happened -- how many of the eighty-odd new members were formerly members of the local? How were other new members recruited? Were national representatives on campus, etc., like a colonization? Do you have a "pref night" for members recruited this way?
Old 10-01-2005, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Re: Phi Mu and Penn State

Quote:
Originally posted by sageofages
The reorganization of the Beta Mu Chapter at Penn State was very very very successful.

With careful consideration and concern, many changes were made...both with the existing chapter membership and the new members of the chapter. Many members of "Theta" local at Penn State chose to become sisters of Phi Mu.

At this time the chapter has gone from 14 members to NINETY EIGHT!!!! (98) members. It is exciting and thrilling and a great time to be a Phi Mu at Penn State.
OMG! This seriously just gave me the chills! Kathy must be ecstatic that a chapter could pull through like that. I'm so proud and excited for them!

Though I can't help but wonder what the other orgs think of this...

eta: I would LOVE a full story on this so I can pass it on to my old chapter. They'd prolly love to hear it!

KLTC
Old 10-01-2005, 08:07 PM

This is AMAZING. They were struggling when I visited there last yr. from what I was told. To go from struggling to largest on campus is truly breathtaking.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: hot, humid houston . . .how's that for alliteration?
As a Penn State alumna, I'm really happy for Phi Mu. They've had a rough few years the past few years (I know a bit repetative), and I think this will be good for the Panhellenic community as a whole.

One Heart One Way. . .
Old 10-08-2005, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Any idea on how SDT did?

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 10-08-2005, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
How about fraternity rush at Penn State? Anyone have results?

p a w e a since 1899
Old 10-27-2005, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

4 ur Info

Correction: Theta Kappa Pi, as well as other locals on the Penn State campus, were told they either had to become co-ed organizations or affiliate with a national b/c it was "illegal" for them to not allow both genders without national recognition. It had absolutely nothing to do with "masking" as a service sorority just to not have to follow rules. For many girls local and service sororities are a better choice because they are not as much into the social aspects or they may not feel comfortable with the aggressive nature of PHC recruitment.

My very best friend and roommate is a sister of TKP and while she did enjoy going out and bonding with her sisters she was up at 6am many a Saturday morning to do service projects. They are very dedicated and genuinely involved women and that anyone would accuse then otherwise appalls me. Last spring they were told they had to join a national. They had always intended on trying to become national which is why they had started chapters at other schools. Now due to PSU's decision the other chapters are going to be left to die out without their founding chapter. At first it was purposed that they would recolonize alpha gam, b/c they still own a suite on our campus. After consideration the girls of tkp decided that they would be more comfortable joining a group whose founding principles were closer to their own. They then had the option of AST or DphiE. After chapter discussion and a vote they decided on DphiE.

This fall they were allowed to hold rush as they always had and took in a new pledge class. Shortly after this penn state told them that they were not allowed to bring new chapters to campus while other chapters were struggling. Phi Mu then approached them. That is where all the new members came from, TKP sisters that decided to become phi mu and tkp's new pledge class w/ is essentially just pledging phi mu now. That is why they were allowed to go over quota b/c all of the tkp's sisters decided to stay together throughout this transition.

I would sincerely like to congratulate phi mu nationals for the truly amazing new girls they have, but before everyone acts like this is a perfect resolution think about what these girls are giving up. The local sorority on campus didn't want to have to go through this struggle of associating with a national, so they changed their constitution to allow male members. The sisters of TKP have spent almost a year having to focus entirely on this change and not on other important projects they could be doing. They also now have to pledge again. We all say it was the best time of our lives, but does anyone really want to memorize all those different facts twice. In addition, they now have completely given up all socials/wet events for the semester and even if a sorority is first about sisterhood this is still college and it is sad that they have to miss out on events like hayride and formal which the rest of the greek community gets to participate in. Also they have been dropped by some fraternity partners b/c the boys thought associating with the girls new sorority would negatively affect their reputations. (I’m sure everyone can sympathize with how hurtful and embarrassing that is.) SO PLEASE next time BEFORE you accuse these girls of using their service title think of what they are dealing with to keep their sisterhood together. They have a rare passion that inspires and shows what it really means to be in a sorority.

Last edited by Aphidancer03; 10-27-2005 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I wonder why their website is up (I'm guessing this is their website)
Theta Kappa Pi
Old 10-28-2005, 09:38 AM

Re: 4 ur Info

Quote:
Originally posted by Aphidancer03
After consideration the girls of tkp decided that they would be more comfortable joining a group whose founding principles were closer to their own. They then had the option of AST or DphiE. After chapter discussion and a vote they decided on DphiE.
That's very nice, but did D Phi E decide on them?

Considering we have a whole bunch of D Phi E's from the Eastern seaboard on here and none of them said boo about this possible chapter - I'm going to guess no.

They might have been a little less disappointed if they had gone to NPC in the beginning and asked about closed chapters, the chapters in NPC that were smaller, what they were allowed to do etc. before setting their sights on something.

National recognition (or lack of same) has nothing to do with having to allow both genders - ask A Phi O, Gamma Sig, TBS or Kappa Kappa Psi. They all had to become co-ed and they are national. Plus there are local service sororities on other campuses - here's one.

http://asg.truman.edu/

Oh and OleMissGlitter, I'm guessing because the school is lazy and hasn't taken it down yet. It's football season HELLO!! Or else they are just going to turn it into the Phi Mu site since Phi Mu doesn't have one.