GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,640
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, DelorasGer
» Online Users: 986
1 members and 985 guests
Tridentia

Old 10-24-2004, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to squirrely girl
ummmmmmmmmm...in addition to not telling my husband in the first place, i probably wouldn't attach my affiliation on a post where i said that i would if he asked...

just a thought, but i could think of a few alpha gam's that wouldn't be happy with me...

besides just personal feelings on the matter (which we've all MORE than shared) - how do you think your nationals would feel about you sharing fraternal secrets?

i'm guessing that most nationals aren't going to make the distinction between spouses and anybody else...

-marissa
A GD
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-24-2004, 05:26 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp

Sandy is this in your thinking for bed time stories, sure as hell aint mine!

Oh Well Sweety, different Time Zone!
WTF? Does anyone get this because I sure as hell don't?
Old 10-24-2004, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally posted by pinkyphimu
this is too much!! i have the picture in my head and i can't stop laughing.

on topic...i never really wanted to share my ritual with anyone because it was this little thing between me and my friends. plus the oath said no one who is not initiated into phi mu...and i am positive that none of my boyfriends have ever been! the "two become one" is a pretty weak argument. not telling him how much money you spent on your new clothes is a lot different than not telling him that chocolate pudding is your sorority password.
One word for Lovely...

Disrespectful

I agree with my sister here. I know that there is at least one fraternity guy who knows SOME stuff because the sister and her boyfriend were very open with each other about stuff. They are no longer together, and she deactivated and transferred schools, and I can only thank the 3 M's that boyfriend respects our sorority enough to not say anything to anyone.

Our pledge ritual is open, kinda. We've had parents come in before to witness girls being brought into our pledge bond. But doesn't it say somewhere in there to keep teh secret of our pledge? I thought that was kinda weird that we could have parents there.

KLTC
Old 10-24-2004, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00

Our pledge ritual is open, kinda. We've had parents come in before to witness girls being brought into our pledge bond. But doesn't it say somewhere in there to keep the secret of our pledge? I thought that was kinda weird that we could have parents there.
Alpha Sigma Phi follows the same policy. At the option of the chapter, the parents of pledges and invited members of the faculty and administration of the university or college may be invited to witness the ceremony except for the preliminary examination for pledgeship, which is considered secret and held separately before the ceremony. All non-members present are informed about maintaining discretion in not disclosing what transpires in the ceremony.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 10-24-2004, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine
WTF? Does anyone get this because I sure as hell don't?
You know as well as I do that it's TEH MOONSHINE talking.
Old 10-24-2004, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by squirrely girl
ummmmmmmmmm...in addition to not telling my husband in the first place, i probably wouldn't attach my affiliation on a post where i said that i would if he asked...
Yes, this is a good point, since I now realize this issue clearly may make some people uncomfortable. In hindsight, out of consideration for my sisters who are squirming about this, I probably should have removed it. However, as I have only posted here in the single digits, I haven't figured out how to do that with each post...and quite honestly did not expect this issue to be so contraversial. (Yes, I realize in hindsight that was naive....but again, I plead lack of experience on these boards and did not intend to cause a huge stir.)

I do not expect all of my sisters to agree. But I do respect their right to disagree with me.

Quote:
besides just personal feelings on the matter (which we've all MORE than shared) - how do you think your nationals would feel about you sharing fraternal secrets?
Our International Executive Board is made up of individual members, (just as this online community is)...so my guess is that how "International" feels would depend largely on the individual's viewpoint. And I do acknowledge (again) that some people will frown (even my friends who post on this board) or not see this from my point of view.

However, since it is not likely to become an issue (because my husband really could care less about these things....and if he did he would not share them with others), I am not going to fret about it. And I doubt that any of my Alpha Phi sisters who know me are going to lose much sleep over it either.
Old 10-24-2004, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Diamond Delta
That is one of the most disrespectful things I've ever read on here.
Exactly how is it disrespectful?
Old 10-24-2004, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Lovely_gurl, I understand you've elected to not receive PM's but if you want to send me one, feel free.

There are actually some friendly people on here.
Old 10-24-2004, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Mr. MelodyCat asked me what went on after I was initated.

I told him, "I can't tell you any specifics. Just know that it's a beautiful ritual."

He pouted for a second and tried to jokingly cajole me into telling him, but I looked him in the eye and said, "Honey? I love you. I normally tell you everything that is important to me, but I can't tell you that. Please respect that."

He's never asked again.

And FYI, I suspect our Internationals would frown very highly on a member who spilled secrets. Take that as you will.
Old 10-24-2004, 03:44 PM

Lovely_gurl, so sorry if my assertion that you're not going to honor your wedding vows and will probably be a runaround hootchie mama within a couple of years made you feel bad. I am obviously not privy to which vows you keep and which you discard.

It's also occured to me that you're probably as much of an Alpha Phi as I am since I can't believe an initiated member of a sorority would be stupid enough to broadcast on a greek-related message board that vows of secrecy mean nothing to her.

Anyhoo, best of luck to you and hubby in your wedded bliss!

Last edited by KillarneyRose; 10-24-2004 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-24-2004, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Diamond Delta
Lovely_gurl, I understand you've elected to not receive PM's but if you want to send me one, feel free.

There are actually some friendly people on here.

Thanks, Diamond Delta!
I figured out how to enable Private Messages...so you have one from me now!

I have lurked for a long time before jumping into the mix....so I've seen that lots o' people are friendly here (including most of the ones on this thread who have not been the friendliest to me just yet)....but that is understandable given the passion behind the viewpoints here.

So, I'm hoping that next time we meet up in a thread, it might even be on the same side of an issue and I will "feel the love" all around me!
Old 10-24-2004, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe it's because my future wife is in a GLO as well, but it's never been an issue with us. She has her secrets (she's an Alpha Phi), I have mine, and that's that.

If I were in a defunct GLO, I'd see no reason to divulge secrets. Secrets are secrets, an oath is an oath, and it's a promise I made to my brothers and myself to keep those vows secret.
Old 10-24-2004, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
Lovely_gurl, so sorry if my assertion that you're not going to honor your wedding vows and will probably be a runaround hootchie mama within a couple of years made you feel bad. I am obviously not privy to which vows you keep and which you discard.

It's also occured to me that you're probably as much of an Alpha Phi as I am since I can't believe an initiated member of a sorority would be stupid enough to broadcast on a greek-related message board that vows of secrecy mean nothing to her.

Anyhoo, best of luck to you and hubby in your wedded bliss!

LOL! HEY!!!!...Where did you get a copy of my wedding photo?!?!?
Old 10-24-2004, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
Actually, I appreciate your trying to bail me out from the apparent "hot water" that so many of you feel I will be in with my sisters...and maybe I should just go with it, but I am in fact a very proud Alpha Phi.

And, at the risk of banging my head against a wall here, my fraternity and its rituals are very important to me. I just don't hold the viewpoint that disclosure to a spouse breaks a vow of secrecy. That is the difference. And it is perfectly fine for you to disagree with me, but asserting that vows mean nothing to me is erroneous.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MelodyCat
Mr. MelodyCat asked me what went on after I was initated.

I told him, "I can't tell you any specifics. Just know that it's a beautiful ritual."

He pouted for a second and tried to jokingly cajole me into telling him, but I looked him in the eye and said, "Honey? I love you. I normally tell you everything that is important to me, but I can't tell you that. Please respect that."

He's never asked again.
Mr. Lovely_Gurl has never asked....but my guess is that IF you had chosen to disclose this information, if your husband is like mine, he would have kept the information between the two of you.

Quote:
And FYI, I suspect our Internationals would frown very highly on a member who spilled secrets. Take that as you will.
Well, I haven't done an IEB poll about it, but I suspect it would depend on the individual....though I am sure there would be at least a few who would have the reaction that you suggest.