GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,637
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, bvelesymaarey20
» Online Users: 1,036
0 members and 1,036 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

That's a wonderful recruitment result!!!

I will say though, that the hardest part for them has yet to come and I sincerely wish them the best of luck.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-29-2005, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
APhiDancer.... that's a wonderful post and all. It seems like that org was very true to their beliefs.

BUT. Your post seems like it's dogging Phi Mu. Maybe that particular chapter doesn't have a great reputation, but nationally we are awesome... just as any other organization. It sucks that fraternities are shallow enough to not want to associate with the SAME girls they did before. (think... A rose by any other name is still a rose... or something like that) Just because they are now Phi Mus doesn't mean that they will carry on the same reputation. These are still the same girls and if they keep their personalities and striving for the best they will only improve the reputation of that chapter. But for them to be all "boohoo" because they can't participate in wet socials... shame on them. They should be happy that Phi Mu approached them and that they weren't forced to do what the university wanted them to do. THEY CHOSE TO GO AHEAD and merge with Phi Mu? KEYWORD: CHOSE. If they didn't like it they should have kept going and just allowed men to join or whatever the new rules were. And "boohoo" again to having to memorize things. It's not that hard. It's not like you have to know these things and be tested on them. They gave up their service projects for a year to be acquainted with their new organization, but they would have had to get acquainted with something new anyway. At least they can bring their service to that chapter of Phi Mu now.

I'm curious tho. Why can't they participate in hayride and all that? Why do they have to miss out on formal? That makes no sense without explanation. If those are "wet" socials, then all of those NPC sororities that also participate are going against the rules. Good job on outing them and I hope that none of their nationals come on here to read your post.

KLTC
Old 10-29-2005, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I would def. back up PM_Mama's statements here. All sororities have their weak chapters so there's no reason to "hate" on the Penn State Phi Mu's.

Like she said, the women of "Theta" were not forced in any way to join Phi Mu. No one put a gun to their head. I personally think it is very commendable that they all stuck together. If there are guys who don't want to mix with them now that they have joined Phi Mu, it just shows the guys' true character.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

33girl:

I knew about it - one of my collegiates at clarion had asked me questions about how a chapter affiliates because one of her friends was in the local sorority in question.

It was the first that I had heard about it and I didn't realize that they were basically forcing them to affiliate so I gave the answer that I usually give: that expansion usually only happens when the other groups are basically maxed out and I knew that wasn't the case on the campus.

If I know something about any expansion - which is rare - I usually don't say anything about until it's confirmed.

I don't think it ever got to the did dphie "choose" them phase.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fire1977
If I know something about any expansion - which is rare - I usually don't say anything about until it's confirmed.

I don't think it ever got to the did dphie "choose" them phase.
Exactly. I was pointing out that it didn't matter if the local "picked" D Phi E, if D Phi E wasn't willing to come in and the campus wasn't open for expansion it is a moot point.

Phyllis, I think that what she said about wet events just confirms some of the things that were said earlier in the thread. The local "service" sororities could have wet formals, hayrides as they had no national group telling them those events had to be dry. They have never had to deal with someone telling them to use third parties or the prospect of dry events.

And as far as fraternities not having events with the new merged group - that's pretty much the exact opposite of what I heard.

Last edited by 33girl; 11-01-2005 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
APhiDancer wrote...

"After consideration the girls of tkp decided that they would be more comfortable joining a group whose founding principles were closer to their own. They then had the option of AST or DphiE. After chapter discussion and a vote they decided on DphiE. "

That is really interesting because this local never even contacted DPhiE - at all - so it seems interesting they "chose" us. The campus was not open for expansion at the time this merger took place. I would be the first person in my org to know!

Although some of the other locals have contacted some of the remaining NPC groups not on the campus (there are 6), the campus is STILL not open for expansion. A note from the NPC Extension Director confirmed this on Friday.

If and when the campus does open, the panhellenic will vote on it. If the one or two groups under total would like to absorb one of the service locals, great. There are several of the 6 unrepresented groups who are dormant on this campus - AGD was mentioned, also DPhiE, AEPhi, Theta Phi Alpha and Phi Sigma Sigma so there would definitely be a lot of interest in this campus should it ever open.

Until then, let's not speculate.

Denise
Director of Expansion
Old 10-31-2005, 03:09 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by Denise_DPhiE
There are several of the 6 unrepresented groups who are dormant on this campus - AGD was mentioned, also DPhiE, AEPhi, Theta Phi Alpha and Phi Sigma Sigma so there would definitely be a lot of interest in this campus should it ever open.

Until then, let's not speculate.

You definitely would be the first DPhiE to know!

I was saddened to hear about AGD closing a few years ago. I truly hope that Penn State will be open for expansion soon -- it'd be great for us to recolonize there again.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry if it seemed I was attacking the national org in anyway, I know you are awesome and the girls in "theta" were super excited to have the opportunity to become part of that. I didn't intend to offend anyone; I just thought that the other perspective had a right to be heard. I appreciate the feedback from everyone, but if you aren't familiar with Penn State's Greek Life you wouldn't understand about the things they are missing out on... being a college town isolated from basically anything else has keep us behind in the times, so to speak. And according to our VP of Standards all our nationals are aware that we do not run like many other school systems. We don't have the same access to third party vendors and we haven't yet gone to that format of events. I don't want this to get catty and you may choose to believe whatever you like, but I am only sharing what my best friend is experiencing. Since it is not my experience I do not know how they made their decisions or what options they were given. But as an active sister in her chapter this is what my friend is sharing. We know that fraternities that choose to not associate with a name are not worth the time of day, but it is still a real and very uncomfortable/disappointing position to be put in. AND that isn't an attack on the chapter it is a truth. Something I'm sure you would be hurt by if put in the same situation. There is NO need for the judgment and "boohoo" comments. I'm sure if you were in a difficult situation you would like some empathy shown. Let me reiterate, my initial post was to give this thread a better understanding of the actual situation and feelings felt by the girls who are active at Penn State. None of the "theta" girls felt comfortable posting here and now I understand why. I wish everyone the best and from now on I will let you assume whatever you would like.

“If I asked for a cup of coffee, someone would search for the double meaning.” -Mae West
Old 11-01-2005, 03:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
I'm sorry if it seemed I was attacking the national org in anyway, I know you are awesome and the girls in "theta" were super excited to have the opportunity to become part of that. I didn't intend to offend anyone; I just thought that the other perspective had a right to be heard. I appreciate the feedback from everyone, but if you aren't familiar with Penn State's Greek Life you wouldn't understand about the things they are missing out on... being a college town isolated from basically anything else has keep us behind in the times, so to speak. And according to our VP of Standards all our nationals are aware that we do not run like many other school systems. We don't have the same access to third party vendors and we haven't yet gone to that format of events. I don't want this to get catty and you may choose to believe whatever you like, but I am only sharing what my best friend is experiencing. Since it is not my experience I do not know how they made their decisions or what options they were given. But as an active sister in her chapter this is what my friend is sharing. We know that fraternities that choose to not associate with a name are not worth the time of day, but it is still a real and very uncomfortable/disappointing position to be put in. AND that isn't an attack on the chapter it is a truth. Something I'm sure you would be hurt by if put in the same situation. There is NO need for the judgment and "boohoo" comments. I'm sure if you were in a difficult situation you would like some empathy shown. Let me reiterate, my initial post was to give this thread a better understanding of the actual situation and feelings felt by the girls who are active at Penn State. None of the "theta" girls felt comfortable posting here and now I understand why. I wish everyone the best and from now on I will let you assume whatever you would like.

“If I asked for a cup of coffee, someone would search for the double meaning.” -Mae West
If those girls don't like it, then they can leave and go through recruitment again. Phi Mu doesn't need girls like that. Many of us don't like our national's rules but we love being Phi Mus so we find fun elsewhere.

As a Phi Mu I'm said to say this. I have no respect for the "sisters" who feel like this. We all have a choice to stay or leave our organizations if we don't like what's going on. It's one thing to not like it, and it's another to make the best out of a great opportunity that they've been given. My boohoo comment stands. I have no sympathy or empathy for them. Yeah it sucks but get over it. Phi Mu is a sisterhood. While the parties and socials are a good time and being liked is nice and all, LOVE HONOR TRUTH is #1 when it comes to being a Phi Mu. And if they still don't understand that, tell them to attend a leadership conference or somewhere they can hear our awesome national president, Kathy Williams, speak. They will realize then and there how damn proud and what an honor and what the true meaning of being a Phi Mu is. I actually kinda feeling like mentioning this at the next alumni association event, being that a few of our national officers might be there since they live in the area, just as a conversation piece. Thanks for the info! I'm glad I quoted this, just in case it needs to be printed out. Then again, it could just be one or two of these girls that feel this way and you are making it sound like all of the girls agree. This is the internet and all, but you should DEFINITELY not be speaking for these girls or mentioning their feelings on a message board that I'm sure national officers could frequent. So please stop while you're ahead.

And I don't understand how your VP Standards can say that all of your nationals know about how your campus is run and whatever. Did she hear this from the others chapters on campus? Did she hear this from those nationals? Because I would HIGHLY doubt that any national would allow there to be wet events because.... IT'S AN NPC RULE. As in the National of NPC. Your VP Standards should get a green book and NPC bylaws and constitution and study. That's not doggin your VP... I'm just going on what you've said.

KLTC
Old 11-01-2005, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Little E
]

If your officers are knowingly allowing underage women into your socials held at bars, even if they have a fake, they are probably assuming some serious levels of liability. At some level are you, as a chapter, not promoting underage drinking?

I have a question. Is it just AST or all NPCs (I assume it is all) that does not allow events where alcohol is the main function of the event?

I just do not understand how chapters are allowed to have chapter events at bars, establishments whose main function is alcoholic beverage service. I'm seriously confused on how this works. Why would you even have a chapter event that every sister could not legally attend? Isn't the idea of a fraternity/sorority social to bond with your sisters and also give everyone in the org a chance to bond/meet people in another org?

(I went to a college where we did not have mixers.)
Basically what 33girl said. Like WVUAlphaPhi's chapter, we rent out a local bar from the hours of 8-11. UNLIKE her chapter, we do have strict carding policies in effect. The bar itself is not strict about underage drinking but we as a chapter do not permit underage drinking at our functions. Those who are under 21 are permitted to come in, dance to our DJ, eat snacks and have a good time. However, these are functions that we have as a chapter (Crush Parties, Back to School Bash, End of the Year Blowout) where there is a specific guest list. For mixers with fraternities, we have dry functions.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
OK - I moved the OT threads over to Risk Mgt. Please continue the topic over there!

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...threadid=71961

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.

Last edited by PenguinTrax; 11-01-2005 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry Barbara!

I was writing my epic post when you were posting yours telling us to get back on topic.

(what is the topic anyway? )

PsychTau
Old 11-01-2005, 04:08 PM

Sorry Barbara, one last post on this and I'll quit.

Sororities ALREADY have plenty of alcohol free events - meetings, rituals, sister enrichment events (which can be done with fraternities), philanthropies (which can be done with fraternities). I mean the only events we had that included alcohol were mixers and formals - which was maybe at most 15% of the "official" stuff we did. Now that's alcohol free too.

And on top of that, women are told that they can't even go to a fraternity party on their own time with their best friends - their sisters - without getting in trouble, because when 3/5/7 sisters are there it's considered an "event."

I mean, from your post, you'd think that ALL college students do today is stay wasted 24/7. That can't be true or we'd have many more ex-college students. But they do drink. That's a fact. If you can't deal with it, perhaps you shouldn't be dealing with them.