GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Alpha Psi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,652
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, willTic
» Online Users: 599
1 members and 598 guests
Cookiez17

Old 01-11-2006, 02:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow, I am just now reading this thread. I guess I did not realize that step shows are such big business.

But here is my take on it. I don't like any step show that is too long and redundant--that's where the boredom sets in. So if opening it up means a four hour step show, or the quality is compromised you have lost me anyway. Because to me it is not a matter of who is stepping--D9 or non-D9, but how entertaining the show is.

So since step shows are now big business, I believe that teams should be pre-screened and selected based on their expertise in stepping, not because they can pay an entry fee. (A business needs to attract customers, so the focus should be on which vendors will attract the most customers, imo.)

And yes, this would mean having potential stepping groups submit video tapes of their previous performances to a panel, and listing previous shows and the results, if applicable.

How do new steppers get the experience, you ask? By perfoming in exhibitions, and non-competitive shows.

As for the original question--you do need to look at what will be the possible ramifications from boycotting. After all, your chapter has to exist within the University system long after the step show is over. Pick you battles wisely. For me a step show just does not seem like the proper battle.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-11-2006, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
Excellent post, ladygreek. Very well said.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm reading your replies and I must admit I see both sides of the line drawn in the burning sands. I don't want to compete against groups or organizations. Another frat, I would have no problem whoopin' some tail. But is tradition more important than progression. Some feel that we are becoming too caught up in the past and the way things used to be. I say some of the past needs to be retained or we run the risk of not having a future. I'm waiting for the university's decision. I will not be stepping against the Brown Hall Step Team (don't even ask), but lambda sigma upsilon can bring it any day.
= Because you're a semester too late
= Because you love to imitate

Last edited by marquise1911; 01-12-2006 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by marquise1911
but lambda sigma upsilon can bring it any day.

They're GOOD! At least, they were very very good when they stepped at my school. I believe it was their national step team at the time. I repeat....a very good team.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

i feel that you can't say you're the best until you beat, or at least compete against, the best (which can sometimes be the rest). {did not mean to rhyme}. for example, the NFL could not actually say it was the best until it competed against the AFL, or NBA vs. ABA, or even universities admitting women and minorities into their programs. if your competition is limited, than are you really competing against the best to be considered the best? with that being said however, it is at times difficult to have NPHC teams compete against non-NPHC teams b/c of some of the unspoken rules that apply to NPHC teams and not non-NPHC teams, such as Nupes stepping with canes. you most likely wont see Omegas or Alphas step with them b/c they are considered the "NUPEs thing", likewise with the Omegas sitting on the chest of another Omega and stepping, or the Alphas doing their train. other NPHC teams won't do some of these moves b/c they are somewhat off limits, but non-NPHC teams probably will b/c to them it is fair game. which can be seen as an unfair advantage b/c they get to take, use, and "remix" other NPHC moves. it becomes a situation of do the "unspoken" rules apply to them since they are not NPHC.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is stepping in the same show as "GDI's" or service frats wrong?

Quote:
Originally posted by MissMonika
It's not about money actually.

It could be as little as Room access or as big as being labled as the non-cooperative group.

The facts are the following:

* It does come to money in one way: Since the University is paying for the event, Then they can determine the rules in anyway the see fit. Since we are in the "Diversity" phase, this was bound to happen. If the Other organizatons kick up too much of a fuss (or even if the University Administration fuss), because of the Federal Funding the University receives. They can "diversify" any event they feel does not represent the wholeness of the University (I used to work in the Student Affairs office).

* In order to have a "pure" NPHC Stepshow, The NPHC must pay for it in full without University funding (following the Golden rule: the person with the gold makes the rules).

* Because the Black Population is not the largest (My assumption), it is up to all organizations to work the Collegiate Hustle. One way that campus politics wouldn't be necessary would be if the Alumni/Graduate chapters and Community Organizations in the area will be able to pick up the clout they may lose as a consequence of their actions.

If it can happen where I was (in CA), it can happen anywere. Room Reservations were "lost", rules were changed in Programing Procedures "suddenly, and credibility with faculty (in the Birthplace of the Black Studies College Cirriculum) was weaning.
Not trying to be funny, but I was talking to Sigmadive. Sigmadive presented it as money being the bottomline. I understood where you were coming from.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sigmadiva
Seeing as that I have been a judge for a step show hosted by your sisters at the University of Houston (Zeta Delta Chapter of DST), I would think they (ZD) would be very interested in the ticket sales ($$$) and entrance fee ($$$) assesed to each group who stepped. That is to say, the money that was raised for the chapter by the step show they hosted.
Please tell me what that has to do with my point.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is stepping in the same show as "GDI's" or service frats wrong?

Quote:
Hosting a step show can be a lot of work for a chapter. I remember from by undergrad days, the KAPsi chapter at Texas A&M hosted a 'Komedy Jam' and the APhiA chapter hosted a 'Miss Black and Gold pagent'. Both were very good fundraisers for each chapter.

I'd rather see us (NPHC) orgs hosting such events because they are popular and we can profit from them. At then end of the day money is green, and I'm sure it would look better in our chapter accounts than someone else's.

If the step team from Rollo's Chicken and Waffle Shack wanna step, let 'em. Because 1) they have to pay to be there and 2) ~somebody~ will actually pay to see them step. As long as all that money is going into your chapter account, don't sweat who steps. If we (NPHC) are as good and elite as we say we are, then it should not be a problem who steps with us or not, since we would blow them away anyway.

You'll never see Whitney or Mariah singing karaoke at your neighborhood bar and grill on karaoke night.

You can't be all yoked up with everybody. There is a definite seperation, and I embrace it.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is stepping in the same show as "GDI's" or service frats wrong

Quote:
Maybe that is the way you see it. Bottom line, people / groups will still step somewhere . I'd much rather have those people / groups pay us (NPHC) than some other org. It was said earlier in this thread that if we (NPHC) host the event, then we can set the rules, so the stepshows we (NPHC) host should never (in theory) become a joke - as long as we (NPHC) are setting the standards.

So, we can set the standards and still make money.

Think of it this way: If you consider Harvard U the best school in the nation, do you think the board of trustees at Harvard are worrying about 'Littletown' Community College offering freshman lit, just like Harvard? I doubt it. Because Harvard has set it's standards and they stick to it. Are people more willing now to go to 'Littletown' Community College than Harvard? Not always. People still want to go to Harvard for the prestige and high standards, if you will.
And Harvard makes sure to keep the distinction. They may both offer freshman lit, but I assure you that they don't offer it together.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MissMonika
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is stepping in the same show as "GDI's" or service frats wrong?

Quote:
Originally posted by Boom_Quack13
Not trying to be funny, but I was talking to Sigmadive. Sigmadive presented it as money being the bottomline. I understood where you were coming from.

No Problem...
Old 01-12-2006, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Please tell me what that has to do with my point.

You have a point?
Old 01-12-2006, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is stepping in the same show as "GDI's" or service frats wron

Quote:
You'll never see Whitney or Mariah singing karaoke at your neighborhood bar and grill on karaoke night.

You can't be all yoked up with everybody. There is a definite seperation, and I embrace it.

Well, with the way Whitney is going, a karaoke bar may be her next appearance.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is stepping in the same show as "GDI's" or service fr

Quote:
And Harvard makes sure to keep the distinction. They may both offer freshman lit, but I assure you that they don't offer it together.
That is what I meant. That there is a distinction between the two. Both schools offer the same / similar course, but clearly one is 'better' because of the standards they have.

As long as NPHC maintains its standards, then why really worry about others.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

We should end this thread and talk about something else, because DIONYSUS finds it boring!

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 01-12-2006, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You have a point?
Yeah, but you probably missed it, because you were too busy dancing around it.