GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,635
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, BCNAmbrose
» Online Users: 2,186
3 members and 2,183 guests
BCNAmbrose, g41965, Phrozen Sands

Old 08-18-2006, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by Ocalagirl; 05-26-2007 at 09:21 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-18-2006, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Crying is ok... you were disappointed. But wipe the tears dry, buck up and go in with your head held high.

I'm glad you saw the positive in both Scarlett and Autumn!
Old 08-18-2006, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Good for you for giving it your best effort. It sounds like even though you have your favorites, you are still open to all of the possibilities with the chapters you are visiting.

Best of luck through the rest of recruitment!
Old 08-18-2006, 05:36 PM

Liltrixx -

I'm sorry that things are going the way you hoped. It is a great thing that you are sticking with rush. I am horrid at creating links, but you should find the rush thread written last year by "Silmilek20". She rushed at Sam Houston State in Texas. She was cut by the groups that she had her heart set on, wasn't sure if she should continue on, and ended up absolutely loving the group that she wasn't sure of when she started. I know it might not help, but read it.

Best wishes,

LaneSig

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 08-18-2006, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

so after reading part of "Silmilek20's" post and if by some sort of miracle doesn't happen and Debbie doesn't invite me back, should I still put them at the top of my preference list? Should I put the chapters that I want even if I hadn't been back? I know that I probably won't be on any list except maybe the ones I preffed but should I still put them on there? I plan on putting all my choices on my list so just wondering... I'm trying to keep a positive attitude (even though all I want to do is cry all night long) and plan on going back again tom for pref night!
Old 08-18-2006, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

A Rho Gamma would probably recommend that you list all the houses or at least your top three choices. Please keep in mind that you should be willing to accept a bid from any of the houses on your list and once you sign your bid card you are bound to it for one calendar year. This means that if you sign a bid card, but don't accept the bid that is offered to you, then you won't be eligible for COB this semester or in the spring.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong-it has been a while.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:54 PM

I know there are other chapters who didn't choose to invite you back that you would like to be invited to, but do keep in mind the 2 chapters that DID choose to invite you to pref. THey are interested in getting to know you, so keep your mind open.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCFalumna
A Rho Gamma would probably recommend that you list all the houses or at least your top three choices. Please keep in mind that you should be willing to accept a bid from any of the houses on your list and once you sign your bid card you are bound to it for one calendar year. This means that if you sign a bid card, but don't accept the bid that is offered to you, then you won't be eligible for COB this semester or in the spring.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong-it has been a while.
Bids are binding for one calendar year.

If you are unsure about accepting a bid, then decline to sign your pref card, then wait for COB. Keep in mind, however, if you are invited to a chapter's preference round, they can see you as a sister. Take a long thoughtful look at these women before making your final decision.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltrixx
if Debbie doesn't invite me back, should I still put them at the top of my preference list?
As someone who has seen this happen before, may I please request that if you do not attend Debbie's preference, do not list them first on your preference card. It's perfectly fine to list any chapter that you would be willing to accept a bid from, but please list the chapters whose pref parties you attended as one and two - IF you would accept their bid.

If after all the parties and very careful consideration, you still choose not to accept a bid from either chapter that you pref, just decline to sign a bid card. This will make you eligible for snap bidding and COR. If you list a chapter - even one you didn't pref - and wind up matching to them, you are bound to them for a full year. Even if you don't attend bid day with them.

What happens when PNMs list chapters they didn't pref as #1, the chapters that they DID attend get stuck. The preferential bidding system is designed to match as many PNMs to their first choices as possible. So if you list Debbie, but didn't go to their pref, they will keep reading "liltrixx - 1st choice Debbie" until you match. Which most likely won't happen if you aren't at their parties. They won't read your second choice until Debbie fills quota. I know that's all technical, but it can be quite a mess for the advisors who are in bid matching (if it is done by hand rather than computer).

The most important thing to remember for you is to only list a chapter you would accept. Or you could be ineligible for other bidding options for a calendar year.

I hope that things become more clear for you in the coming parties! Many many people wait to make their choice at preference!
Old 08-18-2006, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: The interwebs. I understand it's a "series of tubes."
Thumbs up

Hi Liltrixx
Oh, I'm sending you a hug! I am so sorry that you are disappointed, and I understand how intense and emotional and pressure-filled formal recruitment can be.
I am excited for you, though, because you are strong enough to be sticking with it! And remember why you thought being part of a greek organization in general was something that you wanted to do. I truely believe that there is a place for everyone in the greek community, so think about your and the organization's potential.
Take care, and I'm impressed and proud that you are sticking it out!

TEII
Old 08-19-2006, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry....I might have missed it somewhere but is DG not participating in recruitment at UCF and why??
Old 08-19-2006, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

hmm, pref-ing someone that released you? I don't think the school at which I rushed allowed that. We went to 2 prefs which you ranked 1 and 2. If you were crosscut from both of them, you didn't 'register' for COR, you were simply 'eligible' for it, but I don't think anyone was crosscut when I rushed and hence, no one gave out snap bids. is that weird?
Old 08-19-2006, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BellaBerlee
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahgirl
I'm sorry....I might have missed it somewhere but is DG not participating in recruitment at UCF and why??
Hannahgirl; I sent you a PM in regards to DG
"In a word, to be loyal under any and all circumstances to my fraternity and her highest teachings..."
Old 08-19-2006, 06:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwright25
As someone who has seen this happen before, may I please request that if you do not attend Debbie's preference, do not list them first on your preference card. It's perfectly fine to list any chapter that you would be willing to accept a bid from, but please list the chapters whose pref parties you attended as one and two - IF you would accept their bid.

If after all the parties and very careful consideration, you still choose not to accept a bid from either chapter that you pref, just decline to sign a bid card. This will make you eligible for snap bidding and COR. If you list a chapter - even one you didn't pref - and wind up matching to them, you are bound to them for a full year. Even if you don't attend bid day with them.
Thank you for articulating what I was actually thinking!
Old 08-19-2006, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok but here is my question...Can I put in order where I want to go even if I don't pref them? If I put all the chapters on the list will it matter? Even if I didn't pref them? I have no idea what I will be doing and hopefully still won't get that awful phone call yet. Thanks everyone