GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,659
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, KamCumming
» Online Users: 1,288
0 members and 1,288 guests
No Members online

Old 08-06-2010, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I attended Bid Day last year, my daughter is a rising Sophomore.

Last year the parents, family, friends and fraternity boys lined the road outside of the stadium.

You heard a loud squeal from inside the stadium and the girls were instructed to find their house letters (huge decorated letters)!

It appeared to me that the new pledges left in the alphabetical order of their new houses (just the way it seemed) very organized. The girls ran from the stadium to their new houses where active members greeted them with open arms!!

When I finally got to the house my daughter recieved her tshirt and a goody bag. As I stood there she was introduced to her new sisters and a group of pledges from various fraternity's... very nice!

I had noticed that as I walked across the quad the fraternity boys walking in groups many carrying flowers to greet the new sorority girls! It was quite a picture....

At my daughters house everyone was invited in for a meal and sweet tea. At her roommates house only family was invited in.

Every house also takes a group Bid Day photo outside as well as random photos that can be ordered.

At my daughters house they had a brief info session for parents welcoming their daughters to the house and reviewing information.

The houses that go away on retreat left around 4-5. Her house was loaded on chartered buses and taken away. For houses not leaving on retreat that day there were activities at the house as well as the oopportunity to do WOW events!

This year all greek members recieved a letter about changes to bid day....Because the houses are so large (over 200 members) they are only allowing members and family in the houses. So no friends or fraternity boys this year. Last year the sororitys just felt overwhelmed with the numbers in house. It also stated that security would be at the doors....but the houses have that anyway! And I think it will begin around 10am!

Bid Day truly was a sight to behold! If you live close enough I encourage you to attend. Also last year La Shea had bid day packages as well as The Trunk. I was just in the Trunk on Monday and they did have alot of cute new things! Also I know alot of florist get the Bid List as well and color matching bouqets arrive at the house (blue for ADPI,pink and green DZ)...Bama Blossoms offered this service as well as other florists!

Oh and parking...I understand you can park in any lot after 6 pm and weekends ...so I hope that helps!! Except of course Game Day!!

Last edited by Beaumom; 08-06-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Oh, my mother knew what I was doing back in the 60's even though we couldn't call home! I cut my cousin's group and she called her mother (in Clanton) who called my mother (in Birmingham) who called my aunt who lived in Tuscaloosa (I went to Alabama). My aunt promptly sent my uncle, who was Coach Bryant's team doctor and had access to any place he wanted, to the dorm to explain to me what a faux pas I had made! Only thing was, he didn't like my cousin any more than I did so he understood...he was just running the errand....
this is priceless! see, we all got along just fine before cell phones!
Old 08-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuuthfairy View Post
i just dropped mine off at the airport! she's on her own now! she promised to skype me every night
strength to you, mom. please let us know how everything goes!
Old 08-06-2010, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

A list of those houses leaving for retreat on Bid Day:

ALPHA GAMMA DELTA
CHIO
DDD
DZ
GAMM PHI BETA
KAPPA ALPHA THETA
PHI MU
PI PHI
ZETA

Those having delayed retreats:

A CHI O
ADPI
AOPI
ALPHA PHI
KD
KKGAMMA
SIGMA DELTA TAU

Hopes this helps!!
Old 08-06-2010, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumom View Post
I attended Bid Day last year, my daughter is a rising Sophomore.

Last year the parents, family, friends and fraternity boys lined the road outside of the stadium.

You heard a loud squeal from inside the stadium and the girls were instructed to find their house letters (huge decorated letters)!

It appeared to me that the new pledges left in the alphabetical order of their new houses (just the way it seemed) very organized. The girls ran from the stadium to their new houses where active members greeted them with open arms!!

When I finally got to the house my daughter recieved her tshirt and a goody bag. As I stood there she was introduced to her new sisters and a group of pledges from various fraternity's... very nice!

I had noticed that as I walked across the quad the fraternity boys walking in groups many carrying flowers to greet the new sorority girls! It was quite a picture....

At my daughters house everyone was invited in for a meal and sweet tea. At her roommates house only family was invited in.

Every house also takes a group Bid Day photo outside as well as random photos that can be ordered.

At my daughters house they had a brief info session for parents welcoming their daughters to the house and reviewing information.

The houses that go away on retreat left around 4-5. Her house was loaded on chartered buses and taken away. For houses not leaving on retreat that day there were activities at the house as well as the oopportunity to do WOW events!

This year all greek members recieved a letter about changes to bid day....Because the houses are so large (over 200 members) they are only allowing members and family in the houses. So no friends or fraternity boys this year. Last year the sororitys just felt overwhelmed with the numbers in house. It also stated that security would be at the doors....but the houses have that anyway! And I think it will begin around 10am!

Bid Day truly was a sight to behold! If you live close enough I encourage you to attend. Also last year La Shea had bid day packages as well as The Trunk. I was just in the Trunk on Monday and they did have alot of cute new things! Also I know alot of florist get the Bid List as well and color matching bouqets arrive at the house (blue for ADPI,pink and green DZ)...Bama Blossoms offered this service as well as other florists!

Oh and parking...I understand you can park in any lot after 6 pm and weekends ...so I hope that helps!! Except of course Game Day!!
I'm sure it will be just as nice this year. My daughter will be so into the celebration! Thanks for sharing. I hope her aunt and uncle can be there for her since her parents can't!
Old 08-07-2010, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamababe View Post
We all received that letter, and while it does say "new members and their families only," I'm gonna restate my warning about brothers. We were told in person yesterday that it was dads only, no brothers. Some houses may be allowing brothers, but I know that my house won't, since it's harder to verify that the boy you're claiming is your brother actually *is* your brother. There's not as much of a problem with 40+ year old men pretending to be family as there is with 20ish year old men.

I was under the impression that men were allowed in all the houses last year, but after jennyj87's post, I'm starting to wonder if some houses don't allow guys in whatsoever. So if you're planning on coming down to bid day, please keep all this information in mind. If you wanna chance it, more power to you, but don't be too surprised if your brother/son isn't allowed in the house.
Hey Bamababe, I have to ask, is there absolutely no other alternative for keeping undesirables out of the house on Bid Day than simply keeping out all young males (no?)? Could you not perhaps check photo-ID's of guys trying to get in as brothers with the PNM's names on the bid list? Or maybe have the PNM come over and vouch for her brother perhaps? Sorry, but I just absolutely abhor the idea of breaking apart, even for a few hours of one day, a nice young man who would not cause any trouble from a sister and parents he's real close to and from a group that's real used to doing these kinds of things "together as family."

Best of luck to all in recruitment!
Old 08-08-2010, 02:22 AM
GreekChat Member

magnoliacurious, I understand and agree with your point, but I think it all comes down to numbers. Last year it was hard enough to get into the house, get lunch, and actually be able to find a place to sit, so by blocking out males (whether they be fraternity boys, family members, or random guys) it actually helps to address the overcrowding problem on bid day.

Honestly, if I had a say, I wouldn't have put this rule into effect, since many of my fraternity friends have sent me disappointed messages, saying how much they were looking forward to coming to my house on bid day and scoping out the new girls while enjoying the sorority's food. I like the huge community atmosphere, of all the actives, pledges, alums, and non affiliated friends coming together to celebrate the end of recruitment.

Basically, I have no say in the matter. I am but a lowly sophomore passing the message along. Like I said before, if you would like to chance it, then more power to you. I don't know every individual house's decision regarding PNM/pledge brothers, but I do know that there are some houses who are not allowing brothers in.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamababe View Post
...many of my fraternity friends have sent me disappointed messages, saying how much they were looking forward to coming to my house on bid day and scoping out the new girls while enjoying the sorority's food.
Lane swerve/

My first thought when I read this rule was that they didn't want boys and young men coming for the sole purpose of "scoping out" the young ladies and eating the house's food. Most of the heterosexual young males that I know are thinking about women and food if they were to attend Bid Day. A good way to keep the crowding down and maintain a level of comfort is to remove those who may have a hungry voyeur purpose. Plus, women like to be able to do things without always being "scoped out."

The unfortunate thing about rules sometimes is that they will be applied to those who had the best of intentions.

/lane swerve
Old 08-08-2010, 11:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
So, how many PNMs are signed up this year?
Old 08-08-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Lane swerve/

My first thought when I read this rule was that they didn't want boys and young men coming for the sole purpose of "scoping out" the young ladies and eating the house's food. Most of the heterosexual young males that I know are thinking about women and food if they were to attend Bid Day. A good way to keep the crowding down and maintain a level of comfort is to remove those who may have a hungry voyeur purpose. Plus, women like to be able to do things without always being "scoped out."

The unfortunate thing about rules sometimes is that they will be applied to those who had the best of intentions.

/lane swerve
Yeah, I kind of agree. Even if the younger guys there are the biological brothers of PNMs...I would wager some of them throw a "congrats Sis" over their shoulder and then go back to drooling over the 149 members of the chapter they're not related to.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

LOL, I can understand why the guys are disappointed-what 20 yr. old guy would pass up 200 gorgeous young women and food too?
Old 08-08-2010, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Wear something that will help you stay cool. There is not a lot of shade on Magnolia Drive or Sorority Row. There should be a tent set up in front of the house your daughter gets a bid for so that you can register as mom, etc. Wouldn't hurt to have some bottled water with you.

They will probably serve your daughter and her family a light lunch. If you haven't already contacted "Letters" about a bid day gift, they have several packages they will put together for you so that you can avoid trying to get into the store on Saturday or Sunday.

It will be a mad house. Take lots of photos!

I've already done Squeal Day twice with my daughters (both Tri Delta), but don't plan to go this year because I have an exchange student who is arriving from Germany on Saturday evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TideMom View Post
Anyone going? My husband and I got a hotel room for the night before (since we are 4 hours away). We decided to be there early in case my daughter is one of the few who get that sad phone call between 7 & 9am saying they have fallen through rush.

Other than that, we are looking forward to the adrenaline rush of bid day and being on Sorority Row with several thousand of our new best friends melting in the sun!

Comments?

Last edited by Loyally Kappa; 08-08-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Just a quick question... I will be attending UA next Fall (2011) as a Sophomore. With that considered, if I were to be in a sorority would you suggest I stay in the dorm my first year or go ahead and live in the sorority house (if spots are available)?
Old 08-08-2010, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Number Registered

I heard on Friday that the final number of girls registered is 1,642! Good luck to them all.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug12 View Post
Thus far there are around 1600 women signed up for recruitment...about 300 more than last year. I would think that quota would be a bit higher than last year's just based on that (as long as all show up and participate in first round).
Quota may not be that much higher since Bama colonized a new sorority last fall, didn't they?