GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,654
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Artisancne
» Online Users: 1,606
3 members and 1,603 guests
g41965, naraht

Old 06-29-2002, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I like what ROWDYsister said-a lot of truth in her post.

Some may not agree with this and some points weigh more heavily depending on your particular campus.

I know many will say that stereotypes don't exist but honestly, every sorority has a mix of every stereotype. Each group has the brains, the fluff, the sweetie the gripey one you know what I mean. No sorority is comprised of 100% "Miss Congenialities" because very few people can live up to that perfection. It boils down to the proportions. Considering this, the proportion, realize one thing. On paper (your resume') you may be the perfect match for all the sororities, but if you weren't comfortable with a particular image or group association in the past, don't assume you will suddenly change because you hit college. I am not advocating a closed mind, nor am I saying you shouldn't strive for your dream, not at all. I am reiterating what many wise voices have stated in the past. Be yourself. Polish up, and present your BEST self (everyone compares it to a job interview wich is very true) You can "talk the talk and walk the walk", but remember if you "create" an image that is uncomfortable to you or one against your nature, you may be very disappointed in the end. One last point-many actives have said that the sorority often knows better than you where you will be comfortable and grow as an individual. This may be one of the most universally true statements ever made about rush.

edited-I remembered one more thing. At LSU under Greek Affairs, you can look up chapter assessments. This is a critique of the strengths and weaknesses of the chapters. Some will say things like "unclear records of volunteer hours" or "need more campus offices" "exemplory grade point" This can tell you one of two things. Either they will be looking for people with the qualities that fall short or it isn't a priority. You can make your own judgement once you get a feel for the houses.

Last edited by justamom; 06-29-2002 at 08:55 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-29-2002, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Southern Theta: what an awesome post. I know if someone had told me all this when I rushed, it would have helped alot.
To the rushees: Just relax and be yourself. Have fun during rush meeting not only the women in the sororities, but the girls that you're rushing with as well. Don't be nervous, trust me, the girls rushing you are just as nervous the first time around!! Smile and ask questions. This could be your potential new house, and you want to get any questions that you have out there!!
Old 06-29-2002, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
People seem to have covered both ends of the spectrum, those schools where rush is very competitive and those where it isnt. I know for a fact though, where I go to school it is a little of both. For the fact I go to Northern Arizona University.

Formal recruitment is the week before classes start in the fall. Now for the Registration we do not want head shots, and you do not have to have formal recomendations written out. The form though does ask for names of two people who could be your recomendations. The fact is though, that I know my chapter looks very specifically at girls whom we get formal letters sent to us. Those girls do stand out a lot, and those leters usually do come with head shots.

Also, many people have been mentioning that going to the bathroom during a rush party shows lack of interest. I know at NAU this can be very true, because our parties arent very long, and they take place in our chapter rooms (all sororities and most of the fraternities live in one dorm).

As for dress, you are given a list of the types of clothes to wear to each party. I know personally I notice people who dress to impress or dress in their own style. Many times this is great, but I also know that I have seen some girls who wear outfits that look more like they are going out clubing then to an interview.

One last thing I want to add is ask questions. Ask about the philanthropies, socials, sisterhood, and scholarship. I know these are all important things. I know I have been scholarship chair in the past, and being able to tell girls about the scholarships we offer, and the help in the grades area makes a big difference. I also know that the way I approach talking to a girl is based on what part of sorority life she is interested in. So remember to ASK QUESTIONS.

The big thing is that if you are going through recruitment at a school like mine, I would say that no it doesnt matter if you are a freshman or not. I know some chapters on this campus really only look for freshman, but I also know that many dont.

And as everyone else has said, be yourself.
Old 07-01-2002, 09:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
Here are just a few other things that I told my rho chi group:

smile, smile, smile...don't fake it though. But a good smile and a nice laugh can always get you places.

be sincere and classy. answer their questions as best you can, ask your questions, but don't give obnoxious or really bad answers. (ie....anything that begins with "when i was drunk...", "i was soo drunk....," "i was so fu***d up last night", and "my boyfriend....") also, please don't ask dumb questions like "If you were a animal, what kind of animal would you be?"...this just makes you look like you aren't there to learn anything about the organization....and yes, this does happen!

totally accept food and or drink....but like southern_theta said, be careful of what it is and how sticky and gross it can be. if they have vegitables, fruit, or cheese and crakers...i'd stick with them. and becareful of colored drinks...if thats what the org has, accept it, but don't drink to much. it can turn your mouth different colors.

never ever say to any sorority woman that you don't want to be in their house or you seemed bothered by being there. remember, they know people in other organizations too!
Old 07-01-2002, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

At my school, the rushee's purse and booklet are taken from them and carried by the girl they're talking to, so I suggest taking the glass of water they offer you just so you have something to do with your hands when you're walking around.

Also, try your darned best and don't tent talk...that is, discussing with your rush group who you like and who you don't. Even if the girl sitting next to you seems really nice, you could be talking smack about her older sister's or best friend's house for all you know. Plus, the Rho Chis are listening...
Old 07-01-2002, 02:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
oh, and i totally forgot one more thing...if you smoke, don't smoke in between parties! esp. if its hot out, the smoky smell will stick to you and its a total turnoff!
Old 07-01-2002, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if rush is different at our school because it is "no frills" and defered, plus we don't have houses, but it has become very casual. Our first round is jeans, so we get some fun outfits... I would say where something that makes you stand out.. we had one rushee with these very unique jeans, and the rest of rush we refered to her as "sequened jeans girl." Try to stand out, but not be obnoxious. Also don't always take what an active says to you to heart. "I" statements are perfectly acceptable... such as "I hope to see you on bid day" but that may not be the sentiment of the whole chapter.

I think it is very important to keep a low profile before rush. If something bad happens, even if it is not between an active in a sorority, it can hurt. Big schools become suddenly very small durring rush
Old 07-02-2002, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

We were always told that you could not even say "I hope to see you again" to a rushee, because that could be construed as promising a bid. Personally, I think that's taking too far, but I just want to point out that those are the rules at some campuses. So just cause a sister _doesn't_ say something like that to you doesn't mean they don't want you!
Old 07-02-2002, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I know this has been said before, but it came up fresh last night.

Never tell an active you are going XYZ because it may come back and bite you on your proverbial arse!

Legacies cut and get cut for many different reasons.

Of 30+ girls my daughter knows who said what about which sororities. Even though she may really like some of these young ladies, do you think she will stand up for one who has already defined herself as a future member of XYZ? Be very careful of what you say. You may not feel comfortable in the same chapter
that Mom, Granny and Aunt Betty were in, or as happens, so MANY legacies go through, some hard decisions must be made.

I can't stress this enough-keep your mind open and your mouth closed.

Competative Rush-During the week, warn "Mom" to be warry of any phone calls out of the blue to see how it's going, who you like and don't like... Yes, it does and DID happen.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:54 AM

BUMPING the thread for everyone's reference!
Old 04-23-2003, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to McCall4544
Smile yet another question that needs to be answered about Rush!!

Okay...I'm going to be going through Rush in August (I guess I should add it'll be in the South)....What is up with the posters? Making elaborate, eye-catching posters are just about as big of a deal here as recs are!! Can someone please help me figure out WHAT to put on them and how just elaborate they need to be. How many do I need to make for each house? Golly...anything would help!!!

Thanks to any replies,

McCall (from Arkansas)
Old 04-23-2003, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

McCall4544 I've never heard of a PNM making a poster!
WOW! I HAVE heard of "in house" posters that actives make for girls they want to be noticed. My niece's sorority did this at A&M.

Anyone else hear of this? I'm kind of shocked it never came up on GC!
Old 04-23-2003, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I guess what it is, is maybe you ask a member to put the posters up in the house? But I do know that a lot of my friends that are in sororities are urging me to START NOW! And I'm lost basically....
Old 04-23-2003, 09:05 PM

Couldn't this poster thing be considered dirty rushing?? I mean, theoretically the chapters are responsible for getting recs on the girls...how could they obligate them to do anything else?
Old 04-23-2003, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

they don't necassarily obligate girls to do this but there is SUCH competition that I'm just GUESSING but maybe it's just something else to set them apart? I don't know but it confuses me severely!