GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,653
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, athanttsoz9809
» Online Users: 1,299
0 members and 1,299 guests
No Members online

Old 08-13-2008, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I was embarrassed when I was cut and didn't have full parties. I was 18, new to campus, and very insecure about my place in this new world called college. I'm sure that Her daughter didn't mean it literally, but it was her way of articulating her feelings of dread, embarrassment, and 'where does this leave me?'.

Please update first thing when you hear from your girls, I am wishing them the best.

FYI: Many of the girls going through rush read these boards. Last year my daughter figured out from my posts that it was her own mother talking! She thought it was funny!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-13-2008, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I know I am late posting but good luck to your girls AU and Auburm moms. I know it's hard as I had a daughter go through AU rush as well as my own experiences at a large SEC school. I'm hopeful everything will work out like she wants it to. Please remind her to keep an open mind, though. While my girl did not get a bid to the sorority of her dreams, she got (and accepted) a bid to the sorority that now holds her heart. In hindsight, everything usually works out the way it is supposed to!
Old 08-13-2008, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
TM,
I was raised a lot tougher than you think.

Would I care if I didn't have on the right color at 18? Hell no. I probably did it purposely. I was brought up to challenge the status quo, and I would killed my mother if she had participated in Smotherhood.

Of course it would tug on my mother's heart of I was hurt. But, I didn't let things bother me because I realized that life is tough at an early age. And, I thank my parents who raised me to be independent. It has helped to contribute to my success today.
No doubt. And I think we undervalue resiliency in terms of traits we're trying to instill in teenagers these days.

But sometimes the moms who express their ideas and fears to other people may actually do a decent job of not acting on their Black Hawk instincts. It's only when they act for the kid that I think it really gets weird and smothering.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I feel like this is my daughter and I am waiting on pins and needles! Update us ASAP and best of luck to your daughter.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Update! My girl texted me at 6:00 a.m. this morning and my heart sank when I heard the text alert sound that early. Needless to say I practically ran to my blackberry! Her Pi Chi texted her that her first party is at 9:15 (or they are meeting at 9:15) and she said she would call me when she got the rest of her schedule. Today is skit day so it should be a fun day for all involved. I'll update more info as I get it.

Does anyone know if there are more cuts before pref day?

The reason I signed up here is so I could discuss my thoughts and ask my questions with other moms who are going thru or have gone thru the same thing. I did NOT want to drive my daughter crazy with it or bore my coworkers with it, or be the lady at the hair salon going on and on and on about it to anyone who would listen or be the lady at the doctor's office going on and on to the doctor and the office staff and anyone else who would listen about it. Thanks for being there for me, y'all. I will repay the favor to future GC moms going thru rush for the first time.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirited*pnm
Yayy for your daughter having invites for skit day!

Yes, there is another round of cuts before pref round, although that doesn't NECESSARILY mean your daughter will be cut or not (girls who have full schedules this round will obviously have to be cut/cut houses themselves to narrow their schedules down to the number of pref parties Auburn allows, which I believe is 3 but I'm not positive). For example, if your daughter attends 4 parties today, she could ONLY attend at max of 3 tomorrow (again, is it 3 preference parties at Auburn, anyone know for sure?). Alternatively, if she attends 3 parties today, she could possibly attend all 3 of those chapters the next day if she is not cut. Fingers crossed!

Skit day is my favorite round of rush, I'm sure she'll have a great experience!

Ok, so for some reason I couldn't log into my username... I'm the same person as spirited*pnm, so I wanted to delete that post because I am just using this username now (after my recruitment story thread) but I couldn't log in for some reason. Boo.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Yay for your daughter, AuburnMom! We'll be rooting for her. And as far as being the crazy lady goes...there are thousands just like you out there. We've all been there either as moms, rushee's or both. You'll be here next year giving support to the new moms who think they will lose it any second!
Old 08-14-2008, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you! And yes there are 3 parties on pref day.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Absolutely Agree ! The days are long and nerve racking anticipating what that next phone call of emotion will be. GC is sanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axoalum View Post
Yay for your daughter, AuburnMom! We'll be rooting for her. And as far as being the crazy lady goes...there are thousands just like you out there. We've all been there either as moms, rushee's or both. You'll be here next year giving support to the new moms who think they will lose it any second!
Old 08-14-2008, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

The rain is gone. Yay. Today will be partly cloudy in the mid-80's so no more "drowned rats sloggling thru campus". My hubby came in last nite and tried to have a serious convo and I was ignoring him and he said "oh, I see it's Rush week; nevermind". ha ha. You'd think he'd figure that out with the take out food and me not fighting him for the big tv or remote.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Banned

A friend of ours husband just got sent home from the war in a box. Two small children.

Remind your daughters of things like this.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBeBarbie View Post
A friend of ours husband just got sent home from the war in a box. Two small children.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

i just want to reinforce what others have said already....if things don't pan out for your daughter the way you both want them to (i'm rooting for them! rush is so stressful), there is always kappa alpha theta to look in to. theta is an amazing sorority to be part of & is great nationally.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Wife'79 View Post
The rain is gone. Yay. Today will be partly cloudy in the mid-80's so no more "drowned rats sloggling thru campus". My hubby came in last nite and tried to have a serious convo and I was ignoring him and he said "oh, I see it's Rush week; nevermind". ha ha. You'd think he'd figure that out with the take out food and me not fighting him for the big tv or remote.
Haha, thanks for starting my day with a smile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBeBarbie View Post

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friends husband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnMom08 View Post
Update! My girl texted me at 6:00 a.m. this morning and my heart sank when I heard the text alert sound that early. Needless to say I practically ran to my blackberry! Her Pi Chi texted her that her first party is at 9:15 (or they are meeting at 9:15) and she said she would call me when she got the rest of her schedule. Today is skit day so it should be a fun day for all involved. I'll update more info as I get it.

Does anyone know if there are more cuts before pref day?

The reason I signed up here is so I could discuss my thoughts and ask my questions with other moms who are going thru or have gone thru the same thing. I did NOT want to drive my daughter crazy with it or bore my coworkers with it, or be the lady at the hair salon going on and on and on about it to anyone who would listen or be the lady at the doctor's office going on and on to the doctor and the office staff and anyone else who would listen about it. Thanks for being there for me, y'all. I will repay the favor to future GC moms going thru rush for the first time.
You aren't crazy, there are about 1200 other moms doing the same thing only they just aren't on GC, they are at the supermarket. Thanks for coming here, we love to hear what is going on with your daughter!
Old 08-14-2008, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

That is absolutely awful and tragic. Hopefully none of us will experience that sadness in our lifetime. My dear friend has her 19 year old son over there and is scared day and night. We all pray for his safe return and will rejoice when it happens.

That being said, it bothers me when others try to minimilize feelings by comparing some terrifically awful thing with what they percieve to be a "minor" upset.

Like yesterday, my son, who got his license exactly 6 days earlier, got into a wreck (thankfully just a fender-bender but did about $3,000 damage to this man's truck). I was PISSED! - Angry, upset, worried about my insurance rates, etc. My father in law said, with condescension in his voice, "Yes, it is a bummer, but all of your kids are healthy." Well, OF COURSE I know that and appreciate it beyond belief!!! But, dangit I was upset when it happened, is that so wrong? Within a few hours, my anger had simmered, and I am just fine now.

I'm sure there are people who are even tempered all of the time, never letting things bother them, I wish everybody could be that way, but, I admit I'm not, I get upset over things that some others with much worse problems would probably think are silly, I get over them quickly, which is a blessing. Just don't discount my feelings because YOU think they're silly, they are MY feelings and I'm going to own them. It's not your problem, it's mine!!!

Sorry I had to respond to this post and I am not in any way discounting that what has happened to your friend, it just doesn't have anything to do with rush at Auburn, and telling a girl who is upset that just got cut by every house that she should feel fine because it could be worse is not really respecting the fact that she has feelings that are hurting right now.

When a kid falls down and skins his knee do you say, "Suck it up, your leg could be broken?" No, you comfort them until they feel better then move on..