GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,700
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, bradauasd4780
» Online Users: 828
0 members and 828 guests
No Members online

Old 02-15-2011, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

If a PNM has an allergy so severe that being in the room with it (thinking peanut allergy) would send her into an allergic reaction, then the appropriate thing for her to do is to alert her Recruitment Counselor at the orientation meeting so that all chapters can be notified well in advance and plan accordingly.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
I loved the petit fours with violets on the them!
That's what we were serving - not even with nuts! We used to have the PNM's name in between the violets. <*name*>

The funny part is, at the time, I had some pretty serious allergies. None were life threatening, but there was a time or two that I had to take some deep breaths to get the smell of perfume out of my sinuses.

And I don't know about anyone else with non-life threathening allergies, but I was taught to simply say, "I'd love to, but I'm allergic to rat poison," in a sincere way, rather than otherwise embarrass a hostess. Whomever said it was inappropriate due to the presumption of being invited is also terribly correct. (Was that you, MC?)
Old 02-15-2011, 10:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xomanadaxo View Post
A sister told me yesterday she was having a conversation with a PNM and the girl farted. The PNM was really embarrassed, but she came back the next day, so it must not have embarrassed her too badly!
I had a pnm I really liked let one loose when she was talking to me. I mean really really loud to the point where it couldn't be ignored even in a noisy party. I just smiled and said something like "You are really talented! I didn't even have to pull your finger!" It really helped break the tension for her because I knew she was mortified. We both had a good laugh and she got invited back.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

We were driving these two clowns to a rush event when one said "Hey man can I smoke in here?" and I was like "Yeah sure man, you need a cigarette?"....When I look back he's got a full joint lit and he's passing it!

So he didn't get a bid
Old 02-16-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BemoreLXA View Post
We were driving these two clowns to a rush event when one said "Hey man can I smoke in here?" and I was like "Yeah sure man, you need a cigarette?"....When I look back he's got a full joint lit and he's passing it!

So he didn't get a bid
When I started reading this I thought you literally meant clowns as in circus clowns, like they were party entertainment. Instead you mean you had Slater & Pickford in your car. LOL
Old 02-16-2011, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
When I started reading this I thought you literally meant clowns as in circus clowns, like they were party entertainment. Instead you mean you had Slater & Pickford in your car. LOL
Sadly, he's probably too young for the D&C reference.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash View Post
Mentioning it is not inappropriate if the presence of an item at pref is a threat to the PNM.
It is always rude to say to a host or hostess anything that suggests one assumes that one will be invited to an event held by that host or hostess when one hasn't actually been invited. Always.

It is also always rude to "demand' (honeychile's description of the encounter) what a host or hostess serve or not serve. Always.

Quote:
I'm assuming this PNM has a reaction in the presence of the item, as she could simply politely decline otherwise.
That's not what I assumed from the way honeychile decribed it, especially since the "demand" was that no food be served that contained her "allergens." If that is indeed the case, the appropriate and reasonable way to deal with it is AGDee's suggestion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
If a PNM has an allergy so severe that being in the room with it (thinking peanut allergy) would send her into an allergic reaction, then the appropriate thing for her to do is to alert her Recruitment Counselor at the orientation meeting so that all chapters can be notified well in advance and plan accordingly.
Instead, all this PNM accomplished was to make sure she did not get an invitation to pref.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
And I don't know about anyone else with non-life threathening allergies, but I was taught to simply say, "I'd love to, but I'm allergic to rat poison," in a sincere way, rather than otherwise embarrass a hostess.
Exactly. And then you move the conversation along.

Quote:
Whomever said it was inappropriate due to the presumption of being invited is also terribly correct. (Was that you, MC?)
Old 02-16-2011, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Sadly, he's probably too young for the D&C reference.
haha no way man, some movies are classics!
Old 02-16-2011, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BemoreLXA View Post
haha no way man, some movies are classics!
Sadly, I'm too old to get it. Had to google it. LOL
Old 02-16-2011, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

D&C is a great movie!
Old 02-27-2011, 03:52 AM
Banned

AMAZING movie
Old 02-27-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NETrySIG89 View Post
AMAZING movie
was this really necessary?
Old 03-03-2011, 04:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Exactly. Our recruitment applications have a place for PNMs to list allergies, physical accommodations, and other needs so the chapters can provide for them as necessary and no awkward conversations need to happen. Strangely enough, we had a few girls come through this year that consumed food or drink that they were supposedly allergic to... they were always offered a non-allergic option but maybe some of them were just picky!
Old 03-03-2011, 01:15 PM

I've heard people say when they go away to camp, etc that they choose the vegetarian option, just because it's fresher and not prepared in such humungous quantities. Perhaps it was something along those lines.

I know after eating chicken 3x in a row at convention one year I was wishing I had worn a "Meat Is Murder" t shirt or something.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I've seriously been reading every post in this thread for the past several days. As a new member, it's funny to hear about the crazy things I might have to look forward to in the years to come!

Anyway, bumping because this thread got me thinking about awkward stories from going through recruitment a few months ago as a PNM:

The day before Pref (skit day) I was at XYZ house and was having a great time. It was my favorite house and I really wanted to make a good impression. The house was really well-decorated with their theme, so I commented on the really cool fabric wall hangings right near where my rusher and I were standing. She thanked me and talked about how hard they had been to hang/how late they had all stayed up decorating and how it had kind of been a bonding experience. Nice, right? Until about a second later when another girl comes up to bump, and my rusher says, "Oh hi _____, this is Katy. We were just talking about hanging things on walls" and then walks away.

It was definitely an awkward transition, and the new rusher looked at me like I was totally weird. Instead of saying "Huh, what a weird topic" and moving on, though, she tried to continue the conversation about hanging things on walls. Direct quote, and I kid you not: "So, uh...you really like hanging things on walls? What's the best way to do that?" It was so weird. I even tried to change the subject, but it didn't work.

I was cut from XYZ after that round but ended up very happy somewhere else. Still, though, I look back and shake my head since that weirdness could very well have been why they cut me. I mean, who wants to be a sister to "Hanging Things On Walls" Girl? Haha.