GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,572
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, jhngooglet5007

Old 11-02-2004, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lyrica9

a lot of the groups that are hesitant are such because we just raised total last semester from 70 to 75. BUT, after formal recruitment this year there were women that went bidless, and the chapter sizes are between 80-100.

our greek advisor says she has a ton of women seeking her out both to start a new group and to join the current groups, and since we're all pretty well over total and most of us wouldnt be able to COB in the spring, now she's proposing that we raise total to 90 or 100, "get solid" and then have a group colonize after formal recruitment in the fall.
sounds to me like you guys need another chapter - 6 chapters that are 10-30 members over total plus women who went bidless. To me that sounds like exact situation in which a panhel should open for expansion.

But I think you definitely have to explore why girls are seeking to start a new group. Inability to join another chapter, legacies wanting their chapter or girls seeking to start a chapter with a different "niche".
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-02-2004, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AEPhiSierra
But I think you definitely have to explore why girls are seeking to start a new group. Inability to join another chapter, legacies wanting their chapter or girls seeking to start a chapter with a different "niche".
also, maybe we can explore why so many women went bidless.

was it because they weren't matched?
did many people "suicide" on their bid card?
were they cross-cut?
did they not like their options for pref night for whatever reasons and dropped out of recruitment?

It is possible that I am just not understanding in what context they mean when they are saying "X-amount of women went bidless" Is that before (meaning they dropped out of rush, and thus did not recieve a bid) or after (meaning they weren't matched, suicided, cross-cut,etc.) preference?

That information could also be very useful. I think I am probably over-analyzing this, as far as wanting to do a lot of research to see why the NPC is the way it is right now, but that is just the Operations/Supply Chain Mgmt person in me We're trained to completely research all "symptoms" before coming up with a strategy to implement

Also - I can understand that legacies are wanting to join their legacy chapter, but there are so many more variables that go into that as well. (once again.. business analyzing is getting the best of me...)

* the DFW area is HUGE... with all the area schools (and the large population) it is almost hard to not be a legacy to any one group if you had family members go to TCU or SMU or even to schools that are a little farther south and join sororities there. I wouldn't be surprised if our school has legacies from half the NPC

* Legacies who go through formal recruitment may not fit into their legacy group. It could be any number of things like personalities, interests, or just general dynamics between the legacies and the groups. While many of them do end up with their legacy group here, not all of them do. What if in a hypothetical world the campus is able to bring XYZ after the expansion process. In the new XYZ colony, there are a few XYZ legacies... which is awesome because I know it would be great to share that bond with your sister, mother, whoever you're a legacy by... but what if they end up being miserable because the there isn't that "click" between the legacy and the rest of the colony? That would be a bummer

I'm rambling now, so maybe some of our resident GC rush/expansion gurus will chime in
Old 12-05-2004, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok, UNT is not expanding, at least not soon, and instead the Panhellenic Council has voted to raise total from 75 to 85, which isn't horrible, because our average chapter size right now is 83.

"We are who we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut