GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,570
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, asydneshtolzez6
» Online Users: 2,525
1 members and 2,524 guests
g41965
View Poll Results: Does your chapter haze?
Yes. 324 24.77%
No. 868 66.36%
Not sure. 116 8.87%
Voters: 1308. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2007, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathykd2005 View Post
Think about what the potential dangers of a scavenger hunt are--one person getting lost, someone being left behind if it's off-campus, someone getting hurt and no one knowing about it. The dangers far out-weigh the "benefits."
Are you being sarcastic or serious? You make a scavenger hunt sound like a some sort of life or death trek through the rainforest or something ...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-22-2007, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRen13 View Post
Are you being sarcastic or serious? You make a scavenger hunt sound like a some sort of life or death trek through the rainforest or something ...
Yes, I am serious. Because some (not all) chapters take the scavenger hunt too far (both literally and figuratively). For instance, my sister in law was in a local and was dropped off in the middle of the woods, in upstate NY, with barely any clothes on, under the guise of a "Scavenger Hunt." When Scavenger Hunts go off campus, it sometimes gets out of hand. Can Scavenger Hunts be fun? Yes. However, is there a potential for disaster? Absolutely yes. Not to say that these occurrences are all COMMON, but they do happen, and it's really not altogether very amusing or safe for members. Thanks for asking for clarification though.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigKapNSK View Post
its funny because i know all of the girls in my pledge class have said we wouldnt have ever joined a sorority if we got hazed buuut i know a frat that hazes and they all pledgeship was "the best week of your life that you never want to do again".

My pledgeship was absolutely the best thing I have ever done that I would never do again. Incredible experience.

Last edited by macallan25; 04-23-2007 at 04:45 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I enjoyed my intake process!
Spring 07 - #8 THUNDER
10 Series of Unfortunate Events

Old 04-24-2007, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

lol...since i am a co-founder of a local, for now, there is no hazing...
but it leads me to wonder what would happen about 50 years from now

I believe that sometimes traditions become something they werent meant to be and are subjected to misinterpretation to each chapter.
I heard that essentially every chapter of a group would have the same intake process but is it possible that because of law changes,
and the time era, that actions that take place today were not what many founders had in mind when they created an organization?
Old 04-25-2007, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaPDPrez View Post
I heard that essentially every chapter of a group would have the same intake process but is it possible that because of law changes, and the time era, that actions that take place today were not what many founders had in mind when they created an organization?
Well, in 1869, when my organization was founded, you're right, things were pretty different. I'm not sure (and I don't think anyone knows really) what the pledge programs were like in those days or whether such a thing existed.

I can tell you for certain though -- for most major nationals, pledging today is nothing like it was even a few years ago. Nearly all of us for risk management reasons are pushing our chapters very, very hard to switch from "traditional" means of pledging (hazing) to nationally created programs which are created to build brotherhood, teach teamwork, etc., but not break the law at the same time.

Many chapters still do both.

Some things will remain the same, other things will change with the times.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-26-2007, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Well, in 1869, when my organization was founded, you're right, things were pretty different. I'm not sure (and I don't think anyone knows really) what the pledge programs were like in those days or whether such a thing existed.

I can tell you for certain though -- for most major nationals, pledging today is nothing like it was even a few years ago. Nearly all of us for risk management reasons are pushing our chapters very, very hard to switch from "traditional" means of pledging (hazing) to nationally created programs which are created to build brotherhood, teach teamwork, etc., but not break the law at the same time.

Many chapters still do both.

Some things will remain the same, other things will change with the times.

back in the twenties no one pledged at all. You were invited, then about week or so later you would be initiated. Hazing followed rush, and the second world war, i beilieve. I don't know, I'm just testing my signature.

I would still pledge again. No one pledged harder than my pledge class (some of them really hated us becauser our names also are on the charter)

I'd still pledge again though.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaNuHX766
Before I joined Sigma Nu, I had a TERRIBLE experience pledging a certain major national fraternity on my campus. As someone who has gone through Navy Boot Camp at Recruit Training Center, Great Lakes, I can tell you, that was a shitty time... but not as bad as having my peers on a college campus dehumanize me and my fellow pledges the way they did. I told them what they could do with their "values" and I told them where they could stick their pledge process. I survived Navy Senior Chiefs and Marine Gunnery Seargents. I didn't need their brotherhood if it meant taking their abuse.

I gave Greek life a break for 3 years following my bad experience, and I had a VERY negative view of fraternities until about a year ago when friends from my Freshman year encouraged me to check out Sigma Nu.

I went to a few events and found that the brothers were more curious about me, who I was, and what I could offer to them, rather than being intent on breaking me down and molding me into a cookie-cutter "frat boy". I was called a Candidate rather than pledge, I was educated instead of mistreated, I was treated as a peer instead of a subordinate, and I was given respect as I gave it.

This past week, I celebrated the one year anniversary of being initiated into Sigma Nu, and it has been one of the best years of my life. You don't need to put people through hell to forge them into something stronger, and Sigma Nu recognizes that.

I am PROUD to be a part of this organization, and wouldn't trade my experience with it for all of the money in the world.

LOVE, TRUTH, AND HONOR!
-Jason Allen
--Since 1869--
S N E T T

Last edited by SigmaNuHX766; 04-27-2007 at 05:43 AM. Reason: typos... argh, it's 5:41 AM.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaNuHX766 View Post

I am PROUD to be a part of this organization, and wouldn't trade my experience with it for all of the money in the world.

I love this post the most of every one that ive read on GC!!! Esp. this line
I know that everyone here can say that about their own GLO
Old 05-10-2007, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Hazing??????????What's that?????????Isnt there a rule about hazing??????
Old 05-16-2007, 07:13 AM
Banned

Hazing

I guess all fraternities especially in the Philippines practice hazing.

Last edited by Adpaizar; 05-16-2007 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

No, not all fraternities haze.

Maybe in the Philippines, but most fraternities are not in the Philippines.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adpaizar View Post
I guess all fraternities especially in the Philippines practice hazing.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Virginia Beach, VA - been here since I was 2 years old
The lovely ladies of Zeta

Everyone is talking about hazing...some organizations do it and some don't. I'm pretty sure there aren't too many people on this forum answering this question honestly...so...
Old 05-17-2007, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathykd2005 View Post
Because some (not all) chapters take the scavenger hunt too far (both literally and figuratively).
Very true.