GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,275
0 members and 1,275 guests
No Members online

Old 07-02-2012, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Fall vs. Spring

I am going to be a sophomore in college, and currently, I'm not in a sorority. My university's GPA requirement is a 2.5. I never rushed first semester of my freshman year, when I entered college with a high school GPA of a 3.5. My first semester of college, I earned a 2.6, then I decided I wanted to join a sorority.

Three sororities on my campus participated in spring recruitment, so I decided to participate in recruitment for all three. I got offered a bid from one, which I declined. Some friends in sororities from my campus and other schools told me to wait until fall so I'd have more options, so I dropped recruitment from the third sorority, which I really liked (I explained to them that I wanted to wait until the fall). My GPA second semester was not much better from first semester, but it's still better than the university requirements.

I am going through with fall recruitment this year, and I was wondering if GPA was a bigger deal than spring recruitment...will it affect me more since more girls will be rushing? Also, any advice on what to expect, etc. during fall recruitment? I'm nervous but excited!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-02-2012, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
I don't know because I don't know how competitive your school's recruitment is. However, with a college GPA below 3.0, I'd think it'd be difficult to get a bid through formal recruitment as an upperclassman. Your best chance of going greek was likely the bid that you declined. The chapter I advise is reluctant to bid students who have a college GPA that is low, as they become grade risks and grades will likely (though not always) decline as going greek is a significant time commitment. It can't hurt to try and go through, but know that your options will likely be very limited, and you may get released entirely.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 07-02-2012, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I forgot to mention I'm a legacy for one of my school's sororities, how much of a difference does that typically make? And Greek life at my school isn't too competitive, only 12 percent of the student body is involved in Greek life.

Last edited by ramgirly37; 07-02-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramgirly37 View Post
I am going to be a sophomore in college, and currently, I'm not in a sorority. My university's GPA requirement is a 2.5. I never rushed first semester of my freshman year, when I entered college with a high school GPA of a 3.5. My first semester of college, I earned a 2.6, then I decided I wanted to join a sorority.

Three sororities on my campus participated in spring recruitment, so I decided to participate in recruitment for all three. I got offered a bid from one, which I declined. Some friends in sororities from my campus and other schools told me to wait until fall so I'd have more options, so I dropped recruitment from the third sorority, which I really liked (I explained to them that I wanted to wait until the fall). My GPA second semester was not much better from first semester, but it's still better than the university requirements.

I am going through with fall recruitment this year, and I was wondering if GPA was a bigger deal than spring recruitment...will it affect me more since more girls will be rushing? Also, any advice on what to expect, etc. during fall recruitment? I'm nervous but exciteid!
I won't lie... A 2.6 isn't that good. Are you sure you can handle the time commitments that come with being in a sorority and still work on your schoolwork?
Old 07-02-2012, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
So really, I should have looked prior to answering - my bad. You've already asked the same questions with the same background information and gotten similar responses to what I said above. Nothing has changed since the last time you asked and got many useful responses. I defer to the wiser ladies of greek chat who already thoroughly answered you. I'm glad you have such an interest in going greek. Talk to members on your campus, they'll have a better idea of reality for that particular campus than anyone on here.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 07-02-2012, 05:04 PM

GPA ALWAYS matters, whether it's fall or spring. It even matters at non-competitive schools. Chapters like to protect their average GPA, so it definitely matters if a PNM has bad grades, as taking on a low GPA PNM has the potential to drag down their overall GPA.

They also question whether those with low grades have what it takes to balance sorority life and school. They may ask "If she can't handle school, how is she going to do once she's a NM?" It's a valid concern.

Also: Even if you meet the 2.5 requirement that is set by your university, each sorority may have individual GPA requirements that are higher than 2.5.

Ex: There are schools where you only need a 2.5 to participate, but ABC's GPA requirement is a 2.7, DEF is a 2.8, and GHI is a 2.9. So even if someone has a 2.6, they CAN sign up and participate, but don't meet any chapter's minimum GPA requirement to be extended a bid.

It's worth knowing if that is the case for your school.

Also, even if you do meet the chapter's GPA requirements with a 2.6, know that you will be in a larger pool of PNMs during fall recruitment whose GPAs will be much higher. Ex: In a pool of PNMs who are above 3.0, a two time PNM with a 2.6 looks far less impressive.

Another note: legacy status doesn't guarantee a bid. Especially true if said legacy has a low GPA.

Just being honest, rather than sugarcoating. Good luck to you and I do hope it turns out well.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-02-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Grades do matter and they matter more the older you are.

It's unfortunate you were advised to wait. You should have taken the opportunity you were given, but that ship has sailed. Go through rush and hope for the best. And hopefully the chapter you like wasn't secretly offended that you turned down their offer.

Legacy status means less and less every year because the raw numbers just keep growing. However, it almost always means you will get a courtesy invitation to the 2nd round of rush. From then on, it's up to you to impress. Your legacy status just keeps you from falling through the cracks in the initial (and largest) pool of rushees.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

If you really look at how grades affect the Chapters GPA it seems you would be more likely to take grade risk from High School then from College. A High School GPA does not count against the Chapter's GPA but a college GPA will because you are a current student with a current college GPA. The Chapter's GPA is calculated every semester and a low GPA can pull your Chapter's average down. That is why MOST groups will not take grade exceptions for college women.

Your GPA may be above the 2.5 University requirement but it still may be below the Chapter's requirement. That is what you need to find out.