GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,208
1 members and 1,207 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 05-08-2007, 02:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink Frustrations with Rec's

Okay so I'm kind of frustrated, I'm trying to secure some rec's for my school, I've asked around and done searches, so I sent an e-mail to the Alumnae Panhellenic, I'm from a pretty big city and I would assume there are many Alumnae in my area, however I never heard back! I've talked to my former teachers, and family friends the ones who were in sororities are ones that aren't on my campus! I'm contemplating re-sending an e-mail to the Alumnae Panhellenic but I'm worried that Perhaps I didn't receive a response because my e-mail was poorly worded or something. Does anyone have advice on what I should say etc? [FONT='Arial Narrow']And if I still don't receive a response, then where do I go, and what actions do I take?
I know that Rec's aren't required at my school, but I'm going through as a sophomore, and I figure they can't hurt me.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by St3ph888; 05-09-2007 at 01:39 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-08-2007, 02:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Do you know if the Alumnae Panhellenic is active in your area? Groups in some cities are more active than others, which could potentially explain the delay in contacting you back.

Also, I don't know if its this way in every city, but the Alumnae Panhellenic in my area is going through a change in officers right now. (As they do at this time every year.) If its the same way in your area, its possible that the old officer in charge of responding to your request has passed it on to the new officer?
Old 05-08-2007, 07:54 AM
GreekChat Member

If you are from a big city, I would be very surprised if your Alumnae Panhellenic did not have some sort of event for high school senior women. Check their website (if they have one) or try writing them again.
Did you register with the Alumnae Panhellenic? If so, then you would not necessarily hear from them, but they will forward your information to the GLOs on your campus, and they will then handle the recommendaton process.
Once you register with your college Panhellenic, your information will be shared with the GLOs and I would be very surprised if they did not seek recommendations for you. Having said that, I must say that you are taking the correct approach - do not count on it, but pursue getting your own recs. Continue to network with your mom's friends, teachers, etc.
HTH - best of luck.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:54 AM

I saw in one of your earlier posts that you depledged a sorority last year. Did you explain this in your rec request? That is, what time it happened and such. Women would not want to write recs for you if they thought you might be ineligible to pledge.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
If you are from a big city, I would be very surprised if your Alumnae Panhellenic did not have some sort of event for high school senior women.
I think you mean "a big city in the South". I have never heard of anything like this here in Chicago.

(that's not to say it doesn't exist, but if it does, it is not much publicized)
Old 05-08-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
they will forward your information to the GLOs on your campus, and they will then handle the recommendaton process.
Once you register with your college Panhellenic, your information will be shared with the GLOs and I would be very surprised if they did not seek recommendations for you. Having said that, I must say that you are taking the correct approach - do not count on it, but pursue getting your own recs. Continue to network with your mom's friends, teachers, etc.
HTH - best of luck.
Just want to emphasize the part about not counting on the GLOs to get recs for you. I would never, ever count on that, especially if you are going to school where recs are essential.

Also, as a public service, please change your font color!!!
Old 05-09-2007, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Right I'm not counting on the Organizations at my school to get them, In my OP I thought I mentioned that I had tried networking through my family parents friends etc. and that I was going to the Panhellenic Alumnae to see if they could point me in the right direction. Greek Life isn't super competitive at my school, nor is the greek system too large. I'm from Chicago, so I don't know what kind of things the Panhellenic Alumnae put on in my area, but I haven't heard of anything.. plus I'm going to be a sophomore. I can't remember if I said I had depledged in my prior e-mail.

The question is more, if I do send them an e-mail what should I say? I don't want to come off in a bad way, I'm just honestly looking for help to find some rec's, I'm completely understanding that I need to do the footwork, but currently I've exhausted all options, thats why I feel I need to branch out in order to get Rec's.

I think that got all the questions that people had asked of me.. If I missed something let me know!

Last edited by St3ph888; 05-09-2007 at 01:39 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
http://www.geocities.com/chicagoalumnaepanhellenic/

You can contact them through their site.

Nice of them to credit me on their Sorority Life FAQ.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTrax View Post
Nice of them to credit me on their Sorority Life FAQ.
No joke.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by St3ph888 View Post
so I sent an e-mail to the Alumnae Panhellenic, I'm from a pretty big city and I would assume there are many Alumnae in my area, however I never heard back!
I have attempted to contact them..

Quote:
I'm contemplating re-sending an e-mail to the Alumnae Panhellenic but I'm worried that Perhaps I didn't receive a response because my e-mail was poorly worded or something. Does anyone have advice on what I should say etc? [FONT='Arial Narrow']And if I still don't receive a response, then where do I go, and what actions do I take?
Above is my "real" question
Old 05-09-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Also, as a public service, please change your font color!!!
What's wrong w/ her font color? It's a nice medium blue on my screen.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
It was another color.

Quote:
I'm contemplating re-sending an e-mail to the Alumnae Panhellenic but I'm worried that Perhaps I didn't receive a response because my e-mail was poorly worded or something. Does anyone have advice on what I should say etc? And if I still don't receive a response, then where do I go, and what actions do I take?
Try contacting some of the area alumnae chapters directly. If ther are multiple chapters for one organization in your area, just contact one. State what you need and offer to meet the potential writer for a chat or a phone conversation. As others have pointed out, May/June is a time for officer transition and sometimes things get inadvertantly lost in the shuffle.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
The APH probably gets dozens if not more requests for recs. As suggested, I would contact the local alumnae chapters to see if you can network with them. If you want to PM me the name of the school I can (possibly) tell you if the 'recs are not needed' thing is true or not.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Just want to emphasize the part about not counting on the GLOs to get recs for you. I would never, ever count on that, especially if you are going to school where recs are essential.
Agreed. Especially since you said you will be a sophmore.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
It was turquoise/aqua before - pretty but very difficult to read.