GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,595
Threads: 115,516
Welcome to our newest member, QJAJerrell
» Online Users: 1,553
2 members and 1,551 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 03-16-2013, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Or get rid of skits altogether. They really serve no good purpose and the time is better spent talking to and getting to know the new members. You have so little time to talk to get to know these young women (and for them to get to know you!), it would make sense to just spend events talking rather than having the PNMs watch a skit that doesn't tell them anything about who you really are as people.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-16-2013, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought big deal skits went away with no frills. Back when I rushed (before electricity) we had 5 rounds of rush, 1 of which was called Panorama, or skit round, in the middle of the process. But I agree that they should be dumped, especially with as crammed in as rush seems to continue to be. They're really time consuming and puts too much focus on shallow things. If they wanted a "talent" portion, they could have a song moment or a slide show, both of which allow for part of the chapter to do other things during the party.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Or get rid of skits altogether. They really serve no good purpose and the time is better spent talking to and getting to know the new members.
Amen!!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I went to a school that didn't do "bed" rush, so the concept is a bit weird to me. I have a couple of questions.

1. How many girls sign up for recruitment? How many girls receive bids and how many go bidless?

If so many girls are going bidless, instead of adding another chapter, why don't they do away with bed rush and use the quota system. This way more girls will receive bids.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 03-17-2013, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
I went to a school that didn't do "bed" rush, so the concept is a bit weird to me. I have a couple of questions.

1. How many girls sign up for recruitment? How many girls receive bids and how many go bidless?

If so many girls are going bidless, instead of adding another chapter, why don't they do away with bed rush and use the quota system. This way more girls will receive bids.
Simply put, IU is not going to be going away from bed rush and towards quota any time soon. Read the countless number of threads on IU and you will quickly see that this is how the actives/alums want IU to be. Most chapters require members live in all years that you are able to (3 if you are initiated as a freshman, 2 if as a sophomore), and only a select few offer live-out options for senior year based on the overall chapter size.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I thought big deal skits went away with no frills. Back when I rushed (before electricity) we had 5 rounds of rush, 1 of which was called Panorama, or skit round, in the middle of the process. But I agree that they should be dumped, especially with as crammed in as rush seems to continue to be. They're really time consuming and puts too much focus on shallow things. If they wanted a "talent" portion, they could have a song moment or a slide show, both of which allow for part of the chapter to do other things during the party.
We actually have a skit round AND a slideshow round. Skit round is 14 party, and slideshow/philanthropy round is 8 party. That being said, every active who is recruiting is in the room during the whole skit (for songs) and during the whole slideshow.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

In case anyone is truly curious about how grueling of a schedule this is going to be, here's a quick map of the timing based on my experiences (which are pretty average, based on conversations with actives from other chapters) if we compress down to all in 1 week

-Days leading up to 21 party: recruitment workshops, recruitment practice, mock recruitment (if we're going to have that now)
-Day 1 21 Party: 10 am-9 pm rounds, practice for 14 party

-Day 2 21 Party: 10 am-9 pm rounds, MSS, tear down house from 21 Party, set up skit room (walls, stage, floor, staging, ceiling, chairs/tables/decorations, rest of house), set up recruitment format in rest of house, continue 14 party practice--Normally this night will end around 3-4 am

-Day 1 14 Party: wakeups around 7 am, 10 am-8:30 pm rounds, practice for 8 party--normally this night will end around 12-1 am

-Day 2 14 party: wakeups around 7 am, 10 am- 6 pm rounds, MSS, tear down house from 14 party (deconstructing stage, walls, staging, ceiling), set up slideshow room (walls, screen, floor, chairs/tables/decorations, rest of house), 8 party run through, pref practice--normally this night will end around 3-4 am

-8 party: wakeups around 6 am, 9 am-9:30 pm rounds, MSS, tear down house from 8 party (deconstructing walls, screen, floor, ceiling, chairs/tables/decorations, rest of house), set up pref round (room, chair/tables/decorations, rest of house), multiple pref round run throughs--normally this night will end around 3-4 am

-Pref round: wakeups around 8 am, pref round run throughs, matching, rounds 1 pm-5 pm, MSS, tear down pref round, get house back in 1 piece and tentatively laid out for Bid Day--normally this night ends around 9 pm, with classes beginning the next morning
Old 03-17-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I thought big deal skits went away with no frills.
LOL. That's kind of like saying "I thought there was no Mafia since they don't have a web page."

The only thing "no frills" has really accomplished is created another way for chapters to rat on each other and get infractions. Chapters still have matching outfits, door chants, decorations...if I was an NPC delegate at the time this resolution was passed I would want back the hours of my life I wasted discussing it.

Until individual GLOs ban their groups from having frills at rush and make them do nothing but all talking all the time, none of this stuff is going to go away...and I seriously doubt anyone is going to do that.

Last edited by 33girl; 03-17-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUHoosiergirl88 View Post
In case anyone is truly curious about how grueling of a schedule this is going to be, here's a quick map of the timing based on my experiences (which are pretty average, based on conversations with actives from other chapters) if we compress down to all in 1 week

-Days leading up to 21 party: recruitment workshops, recruitment practice, mock recruitment (if we're going to have that now)
-Day 1 21 Party: 10 am-9 pm rounds, practice for 14 party

-Day 2 21 Party: 10 am-9 pm rounds, MSS, tear down house from 21 Party, set up skit room (walls, stage, floor, staging, ceiling, chairs/tables/decorations, rest of house), set up recruitment format in rest of house, continue 14 party practice--Normally this night will end around 3-4 am

-Day 1 14 Party: wakeups around 7 am, 10 am-8:30 pm rounds, practice for 8 party--normally this night will end around 12-1 am

-Day 2 14 party: wakeups around 7 am, 10 am- 6 pm rounds, MSS, tear down house from 14 party (deconstructing stage, walls, staging, ceiling), set up slideshow room (walls, screen, floor, chairs/tables/decorations, rest of house), 8 party run through, pref practice--normally this night will end around 3-4 am

-8 party: wakeups around 6 am, 9 am-9:30 pm rounds, MSS, tear down house from 8 party (deconstructing walls, screen, floor, ceiling, chairs/tables/decorations, rest of house), set up pref round (room, chair/tables/decorations, rest of house), multiple pref round run throughs--normally this night will end around 3-4 am

-Pref round: wakeups around 8 am, pref round run throughs, matching, rounds 1 pm-5 pm, MSS, tear down pref round, get house back in 1 piece and tentatively laid out for Bid Day--normally this night ends around 9 pm, with classes beginning the next morning
Sounds about right. Just add in after the 9pm, that I then input the bid list into the computer, print out two copies of said bid list and take one to the Union. Then I get in my car and drive home. I am usually home by 1am.

My husband wonders why I get sick the week after recruitment every year. I chalk it up to spending too much time in a sorority house in January when I'm not used to it plus a complete lack of sleep. Yet I keep on doing it.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 03-17-2013, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
My husband wonders why I get sick the week after recruitment every year. I chalk it up to spending too much time in a sorority house in January when I'm not used to it plus a complete lack of sleep.
Works the same way at Ole Miss, and we do Formal Recruitment in mid-September to early October depending on when the Football team has bye weeks and away games. We just do it from Sunday through Saturday while classes are going on and the professors are giving midterms exams and projects, so naturally we ALL get sick the next week.

We could make a choice to do it another way, we just are afraid of rocking the boat. Some people are allergic to change.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Works the same way at Ole Miss, and we do Formal Recruitment in mid-September to early October depending on when the Football team has bye weeks and away games. We just do it from Sunday through Saturday while classes are going on and the professors are giving midterms exams and projects, so naturally we ALL get sick the next week.

We could make a choice to do it another way, we just are afraid of rocking the boat. Some people are allergic to change.
Except when they moved rush to October from before school started.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-17-2013, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Except when they moved rush to October from before school started.
Prezactly.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
So is there any hope that this schedule would prompt IU PH to adopt a stricter no-frills policy? Like you can only decorate the house for Pref? I'm pondering the number of woman-hours IUHG88 is describing. It just sounds unsustainable.
The houses are already beautifully decorated inside. Google some of the chapter houses and look at the photos. Some of them don't need much accessorizing other than adding flowers, photos, etc. It's the stage set up and clearing out things to accommodate all the PNMs and sisters that's the pain. We always had to break down all of our dining tables and chairs and lug them to the basement for the open house round and then again in January.

As far as no frills, it's not like there are balloons and ice sculptures galore. It is already is pretty basic, and the matching outfits are usually the same tee shirt ordered for the party and then skinny jeans with boots, which most of the sorority girls have already. It's not like they are buying the same Lilly dress or Vineyard Vines polo. It's a $15 tee shirt with screen printed letters on it.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
LOL. That's kind of like saying "I thought there was no Mafia since they don't have a web page."

The only thing "no frills" has really accomplished is created another way for chapters to rat on each other and get infractions. Chapters still have matching outfits, door chants, decorations...if I was an NPC delegate at the time this resolution was passed I would want back the hours of my life I wasted discussing it.

Until individual GLOs ban their groups from having frills at rush and make them do nothing but all talking all the time, none of this stuff is going to go away...and I seriously doubt anyone is going to do that.
Part of the problem is that, at a school with a TON of chapters, some level of frill is needed just to keep them apart. I think skits are dumb, personally, but door chants and matching t-shirts don't take away from time getting to know the PNM's, and IMO, are really helpful on the PNM side to think back to "oh, the chapter with the purple shirts".
Old 03-17-2013, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Part of the problem is that, at a school with a TON of chapters, some level of frill is needed just to keep them apart. I think skits are dumb, personally, but door chants and matching t-shirts don't take away from time getting to know the PNM's, and IMO, are really helpful on the PNM side to think back to "oh, the chapter with the purple shirts".
Yes! This! As a PNM who had to visit 20 chapters, the skits and shirts were ways to keep the chapters straight in my mind.