GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,577
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, annagoolet2907
» Online Users: 2,105
1 members and 2,104 guests
No Members online

Old 09-14-2012, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quick RFP Question

If a PNM has one house for preference and lists it on her bid card. Are there high chances that she will not receive a bid? This is a mildly competitive school not in the south. I understand that ranking is private information and I am not asking for membership selection info. Just regarding the chances of a PNM receiving that dreaded phone call.

Thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-14-2012, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

The sorority preffing her isn't giving her extra consideration because they are her only house, nor are they giving her less consideration because they are her only house. They are only concerned with how she might fit at their house. She has a 50/50 shot just like anyone else, so take that deep breath and wait it out. She could be their top, most highly sought after PNM or somewhere in the middle or towards the end. Unfortunately, there's no way to know this, and you'll soon know the outcome one way or another. Good luck!

Last edited by adpiucf; 09-14-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
^^^^ Huh?

If the campus is using RFM, the PNM will be placed as a quota addition under most circumstances.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, in that case, she has a 100% chance, now doesn't she? I stand corrected.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Well, in that case, she has a 100% chance, now doesn't she? I stand corrected.
Well, as we've discussed on other threads, nothing is ever 100%.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

DBB,
From what I have read, I thought she would be a QA if she was not high enough on the list. I know nothing is ever 100?

Thanks for the info. Now we just wait and see. (Very hard for an 18 year old)
Old 01-07-2013, 09:43 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry but just a quick question: (I apologize for hijacking this thread !!!)

How do I know if a campus uses RFP? And how exactly does RFP work?

My apologies if this is old information, I'm pretty new here and I'm trying to get a better idea, so thanks for all your help!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoviviannnn View Post
I'm sorry but just a quick question: (I apologize for hijacking this thread !!!)

How do I know if a campus uses RFP? And how exactly does RFP work?

My apologies if this is old information, I'm pretty new here and I'm trying to get a better idea, so thanks for all your help!
Hi! welcome!

Pretty certain that it would be easier to answer "what campus does NOT use RFM". As for how it works: paging AZ-Alpha Xi, AXORushAdvisor, Titchou, and all the other NPC Green Book recruitment folks. I have given up understanding it. It's mathmatics so only a Real Scientist can possibly understand or explain it.

ETA: oh DOH, it's RFM. RFP = Request for Proposal, and I've been working on a grant, which is probably why that didn't trip my eyes. Thanks, DubaiSis!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 01-07-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

It's RFM (release figures method I believe), and there's a TON of information on here about it. Google RFM and Greekchat (the internal search function isn't very good) and you should find a full explanation.

But in short, if a girl attends all the parties to which she is invited and lists every chapter to which she was invited to preference on her final ranking card, then, except for unusual circumstances (and not including Indiana) she is guaranteed a bid, even if she only attended one preference party. Nothing is 100% because, as discussed here, there are girls who behave so heinously at preference that the chapter refuses to accept her or something seriously damning surfaces between preference invitations go out and the parties happen. But those scenarios are unlikely at best.

Again, NOT including Indiana University because it is a completely different beast, but there is no set cap on number of girls getting bids, so the number of rushees starting rush has no impact on a girl's likelihood of a bid. Quota just increases. Also, "competitive" is a relative term and really doesn't mean anything where it applies to the likelihood of receiving a bid. Where it does come into play is the likelihood of getting a bid to a particular chapter.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

DubaiSis is correct. If she "maximizes her options," which means to attend a party for every slot she has available from all the invitations she receives and she lists all she can on her bid card, she will most likely get a bid. We would like to say she's guaranteed one but there are always "uh-oh's."
Old 01-07-2013, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Now there are girls who will get cut completely earlier on in the rush process. But this is vastly more rare than you would imagine. Far more common is girl goes through the first round of rush, gets cut from her favorite sororities and then drops out. We get I don't know how many of those posts here on GC. On further explanation, she only got invited back to the bad sorority who she is far and away too good for, so it's the same as being cut by everyone. And as a Mom, you should know that special snowflake daughter will make this life altering decision based on meeting likely 3 girls for no more than 10 minutes each, and probably more like 5 minutes. When your daughter is going through, really press her hard to stick with the process. Her opinion is almost guaranteed to change as the week progresses.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Now there are girls who will get cut completely earlier on in the rush process. But this is vastly more rare than you would imagine. Far more common is girl goes through the first round of rush, gets cut from her favorite sororities and then drops out. We get I don't know how many of those posts here on GC. On further explanation, she only got invited back to the bad sorority who she is far and away too good for, so it's the same as being cut by everyone. And as a Mom, you should know that special snowflake daughter will make this life altering decision based on meeting likely 3 girls for no more than 10 minutes each, and probably more like 5 minutes. When your daughter is going through, really press her hard to stick with the process. Her opinion is almost guaranteed to change as the week progresses.
Also, at schools with a ton of chapters (like my alma mater), we typically see a few women every year who have a great first round, return to all the strongest chapters in round two, and then get entirely released, whereas, if they had chosen to take a second look at some of the chapters who were more towards the middle or a bit lower in recruiting strength, the would have been just fine. Again, this is only a handful, and RFM is designed to minimize this, but sometimes, a bit of reality in the early rounds will come back to a PNM in spades.

Last edited by DeltaBetaBaby; 01-07-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, thanks all for the replies, I think I kinda get it now !! Kind of, at least

AzTheta, which campuses don't use RFM? I know Indiana does it based on how many beds available per house, but do most other campuses practice this as well?

On another note, how would I know the recruitment strength of a particular chapter? I'm going to a school with 9 sororities, 7 of which are Panhellenic. It would seem kind of ...rude (?) to ask a chapter about this, right? I'm just not too sure how to go about all of this, although I'm not leaning to any sorority in particular so I'm open to all the chapters there!

Last edited by xoxoviviannnn; 01-07-2013 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Additional question
Old 01-07-2013, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Honestly, I do not know where RFM is NOT used. I would hazard a guess that it's an insignificant/very small %age of all college NPCs, because most adhere to the NPC Manual of Information and Universal Agreements.

Indiana does not, because they have "bed rush".

You don't need to know recruitment strength as a PNM and it is not something you would ask about, nor do I see it coming up in any conversations during recruitment rounds. I thought, based on your user name, that you were a Chi Omega. My bad.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-07-2013, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks AzTheta !! Nope I'm still a senior in high school at the moment

Anyway, thanks for your help