GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,596
Threads: 115,516
Welcome to our newest member, hannahyanexto75
» Online Users: 1,448
3 members and 1,445 guests
Cookiez17, Xidelt

Old 12-23-2012, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't have any idea. I don't think it would be very fair to charge them a parlor (live out) fee when there is no house. But that's definitely one of the questions AGD will have to address early in the process.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgirl92 View Post
Thanks for your feedback. Would you say that colonization is more competitive than formal recruitment?
It's competitive, but in a different way. A colony will want women from each class -- freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors. As a junior, they will want you to come to them with demonstrable leadership skills, which is why I think that you might be an attractive candidate for them. They will want you to hit the ground running in terms of getting the colony fully functioning. But you would have a lot of help in that regard.

Do a serach for "colony," "colonies," or "colonization" on this board and you will get a good idea of what it's about. It would be a lot of work but would also be a satisfying experience.

Also keep in mind that sorority membership is for a lifetime. You would have opportunites throughout your life for sisterhood and service, should you choose to pursue them.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

By the time I rush I will hopefully have gotten in to a B.S. to M.A. program meaning that I would still be at USC for another year after my senior year completing my Masters degree. In addition, I plan to stay for another year to get my Doctorate as well. If I'm still attending USC would I be considered an active member or alumnae in a house? And could I continue to live in the house after senior year even though I'd technically be a grad student? I know this is planning way ahead but I want to make sure I have the correct info before rush.

Thanks again for all your guys' help! GC has been such a great resource for me considering my limited knowledge about greek life coming into college.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

That varies by chapter and/or sorority. In my chapter, after your senior (4th) year, you became an alumna, regardless of how much undergrad or grad work you had ahead of you. I don't know if that is true for all of our chapters, but it was definitely our policy. On the other hand, I've had other women here on GC tell me their policies were nothing like that and 5th year seniors commonly lived in.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

It would depend on the housing policy of the individual sorority and chapter you join -- who is required to live in, capacity compared to chapter size, do sisters earn merit points that lead to room selection preferences, must sisters "go alum" after they earn the BA, etc. I wouldn't plan on it at all for doctoral level work, but it might be possible for a seamless BA to MA program. I know of a chapter near me where the teaching certificate program is a BA to MA program...4 years of undergraduate work followed by 1 year of graduate-level teaching certificate coursework and student teaching. Some sisters remain active and live in during the 5th year, and some don't.

I'd ask about the housing policy casually during house tours (making it clear you'd like to live in, and without going into details about your situation). It might come up without you even asking.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay, thanks!

Also, the minimum GPA to be in greek life is 2.5 but the average GPA for most of the sororities are 3.2-3.5...does that mean that houses will make cuts based on girls who do not meet their house average GPA?
Old 12-28-2012, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgirl92 View Post
Okay, thanks!

Also, the minimum GPA to be in greek life is 2.5 but the average GPA for most of the sororities are 3.2-3.5...does that mean that houses will make cuts based on girls who do not meet their house average GPA?
That's a membership selection question that won't be answered here .
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 12-28-2012, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

^^
Gotcha.

This might be another chapter specific question, but who exactly will be looking at my application and resume before rush?
Old 12-28-2012, 07:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Whoever in that particular house is involved with running recruitment - VP, President, any advisers, etc are possible. Also, some chapters will take the main information and do a slide show for the chapter of people coming thru. That's so they will know who you are and a little something about you.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

As a person with a certain amount of CDO (because really, shouldn't it be alphabetical?), I'm going to give you some advice I needed going through rush. Quit worrying about what goes on behind the scenes. Your job is to put your best foot forward and be your most charming, lovely self. Their job is their job and you don't need to know what the details on their side are.

The only thing regarding grades you need to worry about is getting the best you can. Whether it's good enough for certain chapters is not up to you. Just keep this in mind: This isn't a grades contest. The girls with the best grades don't get the best houses and the next best grades get the next best houses.

No matter how much you know about rush, you are NOT going to know why you got cut at some chapters and kept at others. It could be grades, it could be something you said, it could be the girl rushing you was in a bad mood, it could be you were 1 person below the cut off point for how many they get to invite back. You're not going to know and there's a ton of it you have no control over, so you might as well start getting over it now.